Forte II placement

operksoy

I recently joined the Klipsch club with a pair of Forte II's that I found on craigslist. These speakers sound great with the TubelabSE amp that I have built a few months ago. I have been trying to find the best placement for them. They deliver a much better sound stage when raised 6" off the floor. I think that has to do with the Tractrix mid horns being at the ear level but I am not getting enough bass. I am considering building a sand filled stand under the riser. I have them slightly toed-in rather than parallel to the wall, which worked better for me.

I would apprecaite if people share their experiences with the placement of Forte IIs. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I currently have my Forte's(not II's) in the corners about 12 inches from the rear wall and about 14 inches from the side wall. I have them toed in about 10 degrees and toed up(if there is such thing) about 2 degrees(propped up 3/4 inch).

I have my Quartet's(tractrix mid horn also) in the corners equidistance from the rear and side walls about 14 inches and also toed in about 10 degrees.

With these placements, bass is never lacking in my rooms.

Here is one reviewer's opinion:

http://www.soundstage.com/greg01.htm

Bill

About 15" from the rear wall and side wall. The rear passive needs to be somewhat close to the rear wall to be effective but not too close. You might want to just tilt the front of the speakers up to achieve a similar result as to raising the entire cabinets off the ground.

Confirm Wuzzers comments tilt up a little to aim them more at your ears or sit a little lower. In general less toe in on a Forte the better the image. Forte Bass response is extremely sensitive to distance from the rear wall and side wall. Fortes really need to be in a corner, around 1 foot from the rear wall or more. Try moving them 1 - 2 inches at time till you have it. One set up during 15 years of ownership of Forte IIs, I had big entertainment system between the two Fortes which completely cutoff the bass. Getting a more open cabinet made a huge difference.

Thanks for all the advice. I put the Forte IIs back on the floor and tilting up the fronts did the trick with the bass and the soundstage. I am also experimenting with not toeing them in. The problem is that they are on the longer side of a rectangular room and I lose the depth when I place them parallel to the walls.I have 7 feet between speakers side-to-side and around 8 feet between the speakers and the couch on which I sit.

About 15" from the rear wall and side wall. The rear passive needs to be somewhat close to the rear wall to be effective but not too close. You might want to just tilt the front of the speakers up to achieve a similar result as to raising the entire cabinets off the ground.

I have the Chorus IIs about the same 15 inches. Have not moved them in 3 years but I have had them for about 9 years. Toeing in quite a bit.

As for the cabinets slightly raised front (less than Heresey riser) I have heard FrankenScalas sound quite amazing using this simple mod.

I would really like to hear a Forte II with upgraded crossover networks. I have only heard them stock.

I've got mine toed in just a tad, spacing from the wall is more for the aesthetics of the room since I've got two subs and the crossover set at 80 I don't really expect bass from mine. I've played with them listening to two channel without the subs and they are very sensitive to placement. I don't think anyone can give you an exact answer for what will work, but a lot of good starting points to work from until you find what fits your room for the best bass response.