4 CornWalls ===> Conversion To Cornscala's a build log !

ZombieWoof

sorry didn't mean to rate my own thread Mod Plz remove the rating ! Hi new to these parts ...

gonna do the conversion to the CornScala's Mod on 4 Cornwalls vintage late/mid 70's

they are in my Home threater set-up now

4 Cornwalls===> Soon to be Super CornScala's delux X 4 home theater system

1 center (Secret New build project)if I told you about it I'd have to Kill you ! I must protect my sorces !

2 each SVS PC12-NSD subs

46" Sharp LCD

Onkyo TX-NR807

Sony Blu-ray BDP-N460

Direct TV HR22

HTPC with a Asus HDAV3.1 HDMI conversion Audio /Video card ,Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner

Bob C is suppling me with

PH-800 horns & NEW Atlas PD-5VH drivers

CT125 tweets

CS500/4500 crossovers

His cast WooF's

the cabinets are in ruff shape had them since they wuz new ,never finshed them dings & deep scratches abound

these are gonna be 2 inches thick all over !

& the motor board will be stiffened with angled steel between the mid horn & woofs

the backs will have 3/4" partical board over-laid with 1/4" Oak plywood ====>all over the original back board 2" thick here also !

these will sit on 3" X 3" X 3" Oak feet & cross braced soo one can't see how it's done

gonna wrap them in 3/4 " fine Red Oak plywood & stain/Polyurthane with a trim out in 3/4" Oak boards

stained Red Chestnut to match the living room decore

Grills will be custom made picture frame style with 3' X 1 " Red Oak boards with brass corners & engaved plate saying " CornScala" with Bob's Crities logo below the Cornscala engraving

Custom color grill fabric (Wife picked the color ,Hell I gotta give her some input !) SILVER/GRAY with a lite blue pin stripe

the present veneer is shot & chipped along the botooms,these boys have played hard !

think it's best just to recover them in a high quality plywood than start over .. will post some pix of the Cornwalls before I start & keep a build log for all to enjoy & PLZ add comments if I'm missing somthing anlong the way !

Thanx in advance !

Mike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I love my conscalas. I do not think anyone else can hear it but I think they sound better when you rebuild them yourself. What is the thinking on the re-wrapping with thick plywood and the strips on the top corners?

I'm just not good @ veneering.........

seems I'm a mess with glue & it all ways seem I get glue on the wrong side of the veneer..............

The reason I went rewrap is I just don't like veneer.Ya hit a corner & bam you've chipped it & the chip just keeps getting worse the more time goes on , I'm ruff with my funiturre ,I got dogs , I'm always moving stuff around in the nature of my life,I'm hard on things ==> I can't change that .

that said , i went with 3/4" Red OAK as those are 3/4" Oak boards on the top corners & 3/4" Oak Ply below them plywood boards soo between ,the bottoms of the Cab's & the top edges will have the same oak board to protect the Veneer on the plywood .. with the oak boards i can not have a worry about dings & dents as they can be sanded out easily . the fact that an Oak board don't ding easily any way

I also am matching the wood work in my Man-Room as that is the same theme Heavy Oak Plank over Oak Paneling .

the risers will have heavy stout feet extending down about 3" & be 3" x 3" same whith as the all the Oak boards

. it will be a speaker that says look at me " I mean business "

Plus the fact that it will stiffen the cab like a Sherman Tank & all bass will come out & not get absorbed

the color will match the room in a Red Chestnut stain with many coats of ploy-U to protect the wood agin with the bullet prooof idea .

the grills will be a picture frame style of the same size oak 3/4" boards sitting on the flat edges with the frabric set on the inside of the boards in a router cut ,gives it a set back look of the fabric

magnets & centering dowels to hold the heavy grills in place

all speakers , drivers , crossover are new from Bob Crities (Thanx Bob) & I was happy that all old componates sold here to other forum members ,Yeah I could have made some more coin off of Ebay but I wanted the return them to people who would appreciate the Klipsh Parts

Mike

talked with bob about tweeter horn & mid horn placement and agreed that flush mounting the tweet of his was best ..

I agree as the sound don't have to come tru a tunnel to get out & I figured what the hey I'll do the same for the mid horn as well

the cutting of the larger sized hole for the mid was not pretty as I couldn't seem to get a correct template made

so I winged it with a repo saw & with a flush mount of the horn it will all be hidden any way .

the tweet horn hole had to be sanded down on the edges to the contrures of the bob horn

& was a B*tch on the 1st one but very easy by the 4th small drum sanderon a drill worked great !

post-41965-13819540411464_thumb.jpg

post-41965-13819567582698_thumb.jpg

post-41965-13819568855222_thumb.jpg

gonna add a small brace edging to the inside around the midhorn hole as I want to use the barbed nuts on the inside of the cab & I want to back fill any gaps with silicone between the horns & the motor board

using cork gasket material on the flush mount & filling in the gaps between horn ,motorboard & bracing with silicone soo it all ends up as a solid seall all the way from horn to bracing on the inside

the bolts that hold the horn will run from frount to inside onto the barbed nuts

gonna let it setup with screws till the silicone curesto everything

then drill & install barbed nuts & bolts

Nah i hate that look of decorators ! Grills

3" x 1" oak picture frames with brass plates on the corners ,brass CornScala plate DFC top (with a short line giving credit to Bob Crites)with a custom color fabric sliver/grey with a thin blue pin stripe

Frame will be actually 2" thick as i need an off set for the frabic & am using 1" x 2" glued to the 3" that leaves me mucho room for the panel under the fabric

that's why I went with the brass screws on the sides & tops soo to even out the brass look

thanx

Mike

What's the plan for the front? Grill, decorator?

Lookin' solid. Beer