Removing Screens from K55 Drivers

BE36

Someone said the like the sound of the K-55v with the Bug
Screen removed. I read some posts on removing the screen some were
concerned with getting bugs, particals in the diaphram during removal,
and that the design might require them to sound correct.

Worry number

1) I was worried about this until I realized that my tweeters did not have Bug Screens for years.

2)
Hold the Driver with the throat facing down, run a small screw into the
screen slowly, after 1 full thread of engagement into the screen pull
straight down. Screen slides out the bottom - all particles fall on top of your
shoes. (Gravity always works, get it to work for you - Henry Ford)

3) I will listen and see what my ears tell me, yours might tell something different.

If anybody has tried removing the Screen:

A) How many if any Db drop was required after removing the screen?

B) Did you like the way it sounded?

C) Did the screens come about do to outdoor use of La Scalas? or Do they serve an Acoustical purpose? (Some did not want to redesign a Crossover?)

I would agree with bugs being the criteria.

Listed to 6 tracks that listen to initialally evaluate a change. One rock track, 1 acoustic getair track, 2 female vocal with piano tracks, 1 Jazz track and 1 movie Scene (too predictable Pod Racers Strack 1)

Over all I would agree with many other posts that clarity was improved, most noticable in background female vocals.

On rock track, Dark Side of the Moon, Track 1, I notice that the clock starts at 32 seconds instead 40 seconds were I notice it normally. Also there is Hammer sound around 50 seconds that I never noticed over the clock noise.

On the more Dbz or not: I removed the Left Screen on male voice reminded Dead Center so the conclusion is that it did note increase output. But after I listening to the Femal vocals I would swear that their output was increased. If this increase is a hump in the response curve, I would pay for this imperfection!

I will listen some more to determine if the was my most cost effective upgrade yet.

I removed the screens after reading about it, and thinking about it for some time. We live in a relatively very clean environment . [climate-wise, and my wife and I like a very clean household]

So I took the screens out, and noticed that words now " end" when the singer closes his/her mouth.

That was obvious right away, listening to tracks I know for more than 20 years. Also voices and instruments are somewhat better placed in the soundstage between the speakers, like coming further into the room.

This is just my 2cents; I would make the change again when needed because it simply is an improvement accoarding to my ears, and I accept the possability of having to change the diafragms one day. NOTE; I do not say that everyone should do this, to your ears it may make no difference, you'd only end up taking the risk mentioned in the previous comments; THINK ABOUT IT FIRST.

BTW; removing them is simple and without risk IMO.

Unscrew them, hold upside down like mentioned earlier, gently push a small sharpened screwdriver into the mesh under about 45 degrees, and gently pull out. Check the area just behind the removed mesh to be absolutely clean [you might find some dust-from-the-past there] and place the drivers back.

I took no pics of this operation, simply because on each driver it was done in a matter of minutes.