1973 Cornwalls

Mark Crouse

I would like to replace the speakers and the crossovers in my Cornwalls if it's possible to obtain the original speakers. I know the later Cornwalls had a much smaller mid-range horn and they would not work in my boxes. They still work and I guess if I can't replace them, I will get by, but I would still love to listen to a fresh pair again. I still remember the sense of awe I felt the first time I heard the pair I bought in 1974, any help would be appreciated.

Although I and others here have all the parts that you are calling for, I am quite sure that all you REALLY need is to buy the caps for your old crossovers to regain that "1974 sound."

(I don't have any caps for sale)

With Klipsch, if the woofers, mids and tweeters are working, odds are they are fine and the crossover caps are what you need.

Welcome to the forums!

Noah

Thank you for your reply, I have contacted the factory with my question and hopefully they can help me out. I also wonder what a set of that vintage Cornwalls might go for if I have to go that route. You just can't beat those old speakers. I Purchased a set of KG5.5's which I also like for my dinning room, but nothing compares to a 15" driver.

You have a good point, I suppose another set from that era may sound the same depending on how much abuse they suffered. I generally played them at concert volume for many years, I had to replace a set of tweeters once back in the days of turntables and I even took the 15's in to have them checked one time, so these speakers have seen some very hard play time. I rarely play them like that anymore because I want to be able to still hear when I get older. Once in a while though I still enjoy that thrill, so I was just wondering if it's possible to get everything replaced. They don't make any bad sounds and I suppose it could be since I am older there is nothing wrong with the speakers as much as there could be a little hearing loss, but all the hearing tests say I'm still doing okay amazingly enough. Thanks for your time.

Mark

Hey Bill, I live in Lincoln Nebraska. I have thought about taking a trip to Hope Arkansas to ask them in person about those speakers I asked about. I suppose it may be just a dream to hear them in mint condition one more time and who knows, it might blow out my eardrums LOL. I will live if i can't get what I want, but I had to ask. Did I read that right, you have Cornwalls, Hereseys, and Bells also? Are they Cornwall II 's?

Mark

Hello Mark: I need to update that list; I just sold them a month or so ago to another forum member. The Belle's are also '73 models that have only had the tweeter's reworked, one of them quite working so I just went ahead and fixed them both. Then the cross overs are rebuilt AA's; got them from BEC here on the forum.

Unless there is some actual damage to your woofers they shoud be fine; but you really need to have the cap's replaced in the crossovers. They degrade over the years; once replaced the Cornwall's will sing like new.

In upper part of the page just type in BEC and hit search; you may have to do some reading but you will find his email.

I just have a couple of pair of speakers; some members have over 40 pairs. We love all things Klipsch. Later Bill

Mark,

I have 2 pair of Cornwalls a few years older than yours. One set has relatively new (from the factory) 15s in them and the others appear to be original. I don't notice a difference... I haven't had them side by side to compare so there are many other variables affecting the sound. I guess what I am saying is that neither the 5+ year old or 40+ year old versions have disappointed me!

I kinda did the same when I got my first pair of Cornwalls. Needed some new woofies and tweeter diaphragms. Contacted the company way back then and got a nice letter and tech bulletin giving a listing of suggested upgrade path including B3 network and K52. (basically making a CWII out of it).

I just kept the original parts as. Refreshing the network with parts from Parts Express or BEC are a effective way of restoring the sound of your Heritage speakers.