RS-52 vs RS-35 (need help making a decision today)

Youthman

• Moderators

I have the opportunity to buy either the RS-52's (used but in mint
condition) or the RS-35's (NIB). The RS-35's would cost considerably
less than the RS-52's but if it is worth the extra money, I would rather
spend a little more.

Anyone know what the RS-35's go for? I
read in 2008, Bill H said they were going on Ebay for less than $200.
Was that each or for a pair? Agon Bluebook says they were $600 new,
last pair sold for $440 and low was $410. Does that sound about right?

Both are different in design. The driver will be firing
straight at the listening area with the RS-35's where the drivers on the
RS-52's

I will be using them as my side surrounds a few feet
above the listening area. I've never been pleased with my "surround"
since my RB-35's needed to be mounted up so high, most of the sound
flies over my head and hits the front screen. I don't hear too much
from them.

Whatever I buy, I'll hook them up and compare 5.1 vs
7.1. If the RB-35's don't do much, I might end up selling them or using
them in office for computer speakers.

Just wanted to get some
advice from my bros so I can make a decision today.

Michael

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I decided to go ahead and get the RS-35's. It was a local pickup, NIB, and cheaper than the RS-52's. The RS-52's were going to have to travel across the entire US. Thx for the advice. [:P]

I left my camera at work so I'll post some pics of them tomorrow.

• Moderators

Today is a good day. I picked up a pair of Klipsch RS-35's to use as my side surrounds to turn my 5.1 into a 7.1 system. I have them temporarily sitting on bar stools slightly behind the front row and up a few feet above the listening area. My wife and kids went to bed so I haven't had a chance to turn it up but I can immediately tell they are going to make a huge difference in the movie experience.

My rear speakers are mounted way too high for them to be heard properly. Most of the sound is shooting over my head, even in the front row. I'm thinking about removing the bookshelves from the back wall and replace it with a single RS-35 and place it lower and in the center of the wall.

Here are the new toys!

rs-35_1_sm.jpg

rs_35_2_sm.jpg

• Moderators

enjoy the 7.1 sound

I had a chance to test out a few disks with the RS-35's. I can't believe how much I've been missing all this time. Sitting on the front row, the sound is very enveloping. It definitely adds a sense of realism in the ambience as well as for the surround effects. I can say for sure that the RB-35's that are mounted on my back wall are firing WAY over my head. I imagine I will be pulling them down, selling them and trying to find a single RS-35 to go on the center of the back wall, just slightly above the rear seats. I can see now that I really need a wide dispersion speaker for the back wall instead of using direct firing bookshelf speakers.

I believe I will mount the speaker somewhere in between the front and second row about 2 1/2' above the front row's ear level. Ear level on the bottom row is 3 1/2'. Most recommend having surrounds 2 - 3ft above the listening position puts it at around 6' from the floor.

With the help of Photoshop, I moved the speaker up showing what the new placement will look like mounted at 6'. Since there is a double glass door behind the curtain, I am having a friend weld a metal bracket that will mount to the wall just above the curtain. The bracket will have a pole that will extend downwards behind the curtain, then through the curtain to a flat plate that the speaker will mount to. It will look like the speaker is floating in the air. I tried to get it as close to scale as possible but it might be slightly lower than what I have shown in the photo below. The floor to the top of the curtain rod is 8'.

rs-35_right_sm.jpg

With the help of Photoshop, I moved the speaker up about 8 inches so that the bottom of the speaker is 6' from the ground.

rs-35_left_sm.jpg

• Moderators

Yes, it's getting closer each day.

Photoshop is a great help to me since it allows me to try out different placements before physically doing it. I'm not as good at patching holes in my drywall as I am in using Photoshop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My friend is working on making the mounting bracket for the RS-35's this weekend. I was looking in the HT tonight to make sure everything is the way I want it before he welds the bracket together. I really need to have the bottom of the RS-35's at around 6ft off the floor since they will be right in the wallkway when you enter the room. I don't want someone to bang their face on it when they walk in. 6ft guys and taller will just need to duck (that's the way my projector is too).

THX.com recommends having the surrounds "2ft or higher" and Dolby.com says that side surrounds are "designed to be just above ear level to maximize ambience".

When sitting in the front row in a my usual semi-reclined position, my ears are 3ft from the ground. On the back row, my ears are at 4ft when in a semi-reclined position.

If I mount the RS-35's 6ft off the ground, that would make them 3ft above my ears, the center of the speaker would be basically around 3ft 4in above my ears and make them 2ft 4in above the back row.

When watching movies, I usually sit in the front row. My question is do you think the RS-35's be too high with the bottom of the speaker being mounted at 6ft off the ground? We could angle them downwards slightly but it will complicate the design a little bit.

Thanks for your input.

i think 3 ft will be fine, maybe a little high when in the reclined posistion, but with our HT there needs to be a good balance between looks/symmetry and function.

I believe the THX and dolby recommendation are primarily so that we don't mount them too high, which seems to be the norm in most cases (and as you found out with you RB for rears) as many don't have a dedicated room, so surrounds get mounted higher than they should to be kept of the the way.

I like the sound from the tweeters being at ear level it seems to make the "surround" sound more there.

• Moderators

Thx Rock On. Even though I have a dedicated theater room, I still have limitations too. My main concern would be someone running their face into the speaker because they didn't see it, or turn around into it. Being at 6ft should eliminate this for the most part.

I just modified the brackets that hold my curtain rod to move the curtain and curtain rod a few inches closer to the wall. This will reduce the amount that the speaker will stick out into the room and also give me more walkway into the room.

• Moderators

Youtman i can see where you were not getting great sound projection with your rear speakers mounted so high and outputing the sound straight over your head.

Yeah, after I get the side surrounds mounted (should be in a week or two), I will likely move them closer together so I can move them down a few feet in line with the side surrounds. I'm just not sure it will be worth the effort since very little gets sent to the back surrounds. Part of me says just take them down and have an awesome 5.1 system. Not sure yet.

You have a great home theater, did you have it in mind when you were having the house built or was it a room in a house that you bought?

Thank you. This was our first home. My wife and I have been married for 12 years and have four children. At our last rental house, we had an 1800 square foot house, baby crib was in our bedroom, two girls shared a room and my son had his own room. On top of that, my mother-n-law lived with us for about a year. Yeah, talk about being tight.

We purchased one acre of vacant land hoping to build our dream home, had the plans drawn up which included a 15' x 25' dedicated theater room. We could not find a bank that would allow us to use the equity in this future home (since we were building it much cheaper than it would be worth once completed), we were unable to secure financing since we did not have 20% to put down on the home. I knew we were out of options so we prayed about it and asked God to do somethign so big that only He could get the glory. My wife emailed a realtor on a Friday, we met with her on Monday and we looked at 3 homes. Third home was almost IDENTICAL to the plans that we had drawn up (even down to having a theater room)....but only better.

If we were able to build, we would not have had many of the features of this house (granite countertops, brick pavers driveway, stonework on the house, and many other features). That would have had to come much later after we built our house as money became available. Long story short, we made an offer on Tuesday, came to agreement with the builder on Wed, signed paperwork on Thursday and closed and moved in within 21 days. From start to finish, God did what we would have not been able to do. I don't know about you but that just doesn't happen. It was truly an answer to our prayers.

Sorry for such a long answer but as you can see, I just love telling the story. [:D]

So to answer your question, I've always dreamed of having a HT. I gave my wife choice of every detail of the house, I just wanted a theater room. Although it is 13' x 19' (shorter in width and length than our original plan), it has truly served as great entertainment for our family and the guest that come over.

• Moderators

I forgot to mention, the house was a new construction, they were 60 days away from completing it when we found it. They finished it in 21 days. It was crazy! The theater room began as this

Stevens%20Home%20017.jpg

Stevens%20Home%20018.jpg

Stevens%20Home%20019.jpg

Stevens%20Home%20020.jpg

And after many months of effort, we transformed it into this

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Youthman,

I hate to do this as I have a lot of respect for the research and work you put in this project but in the interest of the community I have to say something.

I hope you will understand.

Of course the RS 35 sound better than the bookshelves speakers. Those speakers are designed for complete different duties.

Thinking that the RS 35 is a good match with the RF 83 and sounds great is where I disagree. Don't give me wrong it probalby sounds ok for a HTIB system level but your system is a much higher level.

The RS 35 might have been an improvement but they would not even measure to the RS 52/ 62, for that matter they would not even equal the RS 42

I have done the comparison between the RS 3II (which the previous version of the RS 35) VS RS 42 and 52. You can read my findings link

As you said you have no idea what you are missing until you hear it