One Speaker on ch. A and B

Vonrebel

I was wondering sort of the same thing.

My recevier JVC 9010v(100wpc)has a "sub room out/ front 2". So if selected "front 2" I should have a extra 200w coming out of it(100wpc). So I could be sending 200w to each of my KLF 30's, right? I know it still comes in 5.1 too.

Tony

ok guys: OHM'S LAW

V = I x R

Where:

V = Voltage

I = Current

R = Resistance

like said above w/ these receivers w/ a+b you get a parallel connection that increases the load on the amp from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. iow, your amp then sees twice the load or resistance on each output terminal.

for amps drivin speakers current is power. so if

current(I)=V/R you can see if the R gets lowered then your current consumed goes up. iow, if you double the resistance on an output then the total available current & power of the amp is halved to each output.

kinda like a stock split. you get twice as many shares but each share is worth only 1/2 as much. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-18-2002 at 03:26 AM

dougdrake and Gil - low cost receivers frequently wire A and B in series and it is just as you guessed; they have very low current capability so wiring in parallel (which sounds best if you have the current to drive the load) is out of the question. These receivers will not handle even two sets of 8 ohm (nominal) speakers. The voltage will sag. Gil is correct in stating that when A and B are series configuration, selecting "both" with just one set of speakers connected yields silence. That's the easy test of whether that receiver is wired in series or parallel and a testament to their lack of current.

• 21 years later...

Not exactly the same as this convo but…. Can I hook up left channel to speaker A and right channel to speaker B via the A/B button.   I either have a bad channel on my avr or a bad speaker.  Just trying to further troubleshoot the issue    I got a bunch of old stuff and it seems I got a bad speaker that will trip the avr when volume is increased 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff frantz said:

Not exactly the same as this convo but…. Can I hook up left channel to speaker A and right channel to speaker B via the A/B button.   I either have a bad channel on my avr or a bad speaker.  Just trying to further troubleshoot the issue    I got a bunch of old stuff and it seems I got a bad speaker that will trip the avr when volume is increased 

This thread is over 20 years old.  I recommend making a new thread - but to answer your question: yes.  A/B switches generally won't cause any issues as long as they're properly assigned in the AVR's audio menu if applicable.