Yamaha M-80 question...???

Matthews

After several days of use of my new M-80 I have noticed excesive heat. I use my system while watching TV as well as listening to music. While listening at low volume levels is where my concern lyes. The amp has auto class A switch. With auto A on is when I notice the heat (low volume level). If I turn auto A off the heat dissipates. Now, when I am listening to music at high levels the amp gets warm but does not seem excessive what so ever, normal. My question is do I need to be concerned about the heat while watching TV? Should I turn off auto A while listening at low levels (to avoid heat)? Always leave auto A off/on? I have switched between the two (on/off) and have not noticed any sound quality differences, both at low and high volume levels. I am not sure what to think of this and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Matt

Class A runs the transistors in the amp at full tilt hence the heat, Class A is for the highest quality at low level listening up to say 20W. I would suggest only run Class A when listening to music or playing a DVD soundtrack when quality is a factor. It is only a factor up to about 15-20W then the amp transitions itself to Class A-B.

No need to use Class A when watching television it is just not necessary.

Heat kills amplifiers make sure that amp is in a well ventilated area since it is convection cooled.

Hey Matt,

Still Lovin' the Yami? I know you are! [:P]

I run a 7 channel Adcom amp for my HT and when I watch a movie at reference levels, I have a little "Clamp on" fan attached to my equipment rack that I turn on and it blows across the top of my amp to help dissipate heat. It works well and you can't even notice the fan noise during a movie.

Now, I don't run it for 2 channel listening, as the fan noise could become annoying. [^o)]

Dennie

Still lovin da' Yammy!!! I am pretty impressed with its performance. Makes the RF's sing! I ended hooking the Velodyne back up though. Did not think I was going to need it at first but seemed like something was missing? There was plenty of bass, dont get me wrong. It vibrated dishes from thier shelves. I put the sub back in and wallaaa! that was the missing link. Now to begin my search for a CD player. My oh my, it never ends does it[:S]

Good idea Dennie, I will look into a fan.

Hi Arky, QSC? I never would have thought of a laptop fan. Good idea to ponder. Funny, I was just looking at them the other day at OD[;)] I am not sure if they would be slender enough to fit under the chassis. Something else that crossed my mind is if using a fan wont you be forcing dust into the cooling vents, over time I would think this would be a very bad thing. hmmm?

My suggestion for a CD player if you are looking for a stand alone player is one from the same vintage as the Yamaha M-80. The DBX DX5 is a excellent choice it is 20+ yrs old but can play CD-R's & MP3's due to it's three beam laser pickup. It has built in expansion and compression to tame any type of recording. They typically sell around $100 or so on eBay, look for one that the silk screening on the Play, Stop and Skip buttons is fully intact which is a sign of low hours. Pro sound reinforcement folks use this CD player because it's rugged and can be rack mounted and has the built in processing. Original selling price was $700 in '87-'88. No digital output strictly analog but I prefer that since the digital feeds tend to sound stale to me and not near as dynamic.

I chose the DX5 over my Denon 2900 and the Nakamichi MB-10 it just plain sounded better. I don't use DVD players for CD playback as they sound harsh and edgy unless you purchased a big dollar unit.

Another good choice on a vintage CD player would be the Yamaha CDX-1110U if you can find one in good order. You will not be dissapointed with either and they won't break the bank.

Thanks Dennie, I did not know what QSC stood for. I am thinking about looking into the laptop fan. I have these really cool cast aluminum feet I picked up somewhere many years ago. They are about 3" in diameter and 1 3/4 high. Im thinking if I mount them it will raise the amp up enough to slide a trick little fan underneath. 2 birds one stone (ultra cool polished aluminum feet). My amp is exposed on all sides and nothing on top of it so I know it is getting proper ventilation. I know how much you enjoy pictures so I am going to pick up a charger for my digital so I can take some good photos for you guys. Probably not until the weekend though. Also, any ideas on a CD player? Is DVD ok for music? I want something quality but dont want to spend a fortune. I also play mp3 sometimes. There is just so much out there. Thanks for all your help!!!

[:)][:D][Y]

Hey Matt,

Oh, we LOVE Pictures!!! [:P]

Check your local Craigs list for a Oppo (yes, that is the brand name) DVD player. I have the DV-970HD and it is a fantastic Universal player. It plays CD, SACD, DVD-Video and Audio, MP3's, XRCD's, K2 XRCD's.....just about everything but BluRays. An All-around great music player. You can do a search here and find plenty of threads mentioning Oppo!

Dennie

Matt1970 with all of this talk about how much you like you RF-7s I can't stop thinking about getting a pair. Although I would have to get rid of either the Cornwalls or Chorus's and Im also worried about getting the bass that the 15" woofers provide. (Im not too stoked about using a sub on 2 channel set ups).

Either way thanks for making me think about those beautiful speakers 24/7[*-)] You guys are kind of a bad influence on me.

Matt1970 with all of this talk about how much you like you RF-7s I can't stop thinking about getting a pair. Although I would have to get rid of either the Cornwalls or Chorus's and Im also worried about getting the bass that the 15" woofers provide. (Im not too stoked about using a sub on 2 channel set ups).

Either way thanks for making me think about those beautiful speakers 24/7Confused You guys are kind of a bad influence on me.

Hey, I just picked up a Jay Farrar CD because of YOU!!! So, Mr. Pot calling the kettle black, what comes around.....goes around!!! [:P] [;)]

Dennie, who thinks you should get the RF-7's! [A] (Dennie ducks as Runnin' throws something at him) [:#]

Either way thanks for making me think about those beautiful speakers 24/7Confused You guys are kind of a bad influence on me.

Hey, I just picked up a Jay Farrar CD because of YOU!!! So, Mr. Pot calling the kettle black, what comes around.....goes around!!! Stick out tongueWink

Dennie, who thinks you should get the RF-7's! Angel (Dennie ducks as Runnin' throws something at him) Zip it!

Ok, maybe we are all a little antagonistic. Dennie, I hope you picked up something good. IMHO all Jay Farrar/Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo/Gob Iron/ is very good.

Matt1970, I think I might have to do some serious thinking about trying to get some RF-7s....and right now the $$$ flow is not flowing so great.

Sterling

Hey, I just picked up a Jay Farrar CD because of YOU!!! So, Mr. Pot calling the kettle black, what comes around.....goes around!!! Stick out tongueWink

Dennie, who thinks you should get the RF-7's! Angel (Dennie ducks as Runnin' throws something at him) Zip it!

Ok, maybe we are all a little antagonistic. Dennie, I hope you picked up something good. IMHO all Jay Farrar/Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo/Gob Iron/ is very good.

Matt1970, I think I might have to do some serious thinking about trying to get some RF-7s....and right now the $$$ flow is not flowing so great.

Sterling

Hey Sterling, I picked up Jay's "Sebastopol" and Uncle Tupelo's "March 16-20, 1992", I have yet to give them a spin, but I will get to them soon. Thanks for the recommendations. [:)]

End of thread Hijack, back to our regularly scheduled program.

HEAT IS BAD! [;)]

Dennie

[6]HEAT IS BAD[6]

Dennie, I looked at Oppo. I think maybe I was expecting something else. I have a Hitachi DVD player now that I play my music on. Will something like an Oppo sound better? I am looking for something to improve sound and really dont know the differences between these things. The only thing I do know is what the local shop told me. Get good DAC's. I am not against a stand alone CD unit but have to wonder how much quality I will actually be gaining. Everything sounds very good now. Will there be a dramatic difference with something of higher quality? Should I just use what I got? [^o)]

hi-jacked thread[8o|]

[;)]

Sterling

Hey Sterling, I picked up Jay's "Sebastopol" and Uncle Tupelo's "March 16-20, 1992", I have yet to give them a spin, but I will get to them soon. Thanks for the recommendations. Smile

End of thread Hijack, back to our regularly scheduled program.

HEAT IS BAD! Wink

Dennie

Dennie, I hope you like U.T. "March" Its fantastic!! On Sebastopol give a listen to "Barstow" and "Make It Alright"

Heat is bad (but, bring on the summer time)