I want to upgrade my home theatre system.

Dr. Jim Mixon

I want to upgrade my home theatre system and would like some knowledgeable advice. I have a 20+ year old Onkyo receiver that I have been using to power a "makeshift" arrangement of front Klipsch Cornerhorns and a pair of Heresyies for the rear speakers. I don't even have a center speaker. What would be a good A/V Receiver and center speaker for me? Do I even need to consider any 7.1 models as I don't plan on any front high or middle speakers?

you'll be hard pressed to find a current receiver that doesn't come 7.1 standard (doesn't mean you have to use all 7 channels). From what I've read, a single Klipsch Belle would be the way to go for your center speaker. Search around the forum for what AVR's match up best with the Heritage gear you have.

A La Scala center... It has the same top end, horn size wise that your K horns have, NOT the Belle. Timbre matters here in HT. Sorry to be so blunt.

So do it right the first time and be DONE with it.. In HT, always match or over buy better the Center Channel... Never under buy here.

Some type of sub, Yes, I know... U still need it...

FYI, most all discs are in 5.1 into 7.1 processing.. dont panic...

Blu Ray is awesome.. Go this route... (most will also upscale older discs too)

You mention nothing of your video out, and to what?

HDMI is a standard cord to give you 1080P (the top standard for video) Also Blu Ray--- from the Pre Amp/ Receiver to the projector or TV. Yes, you need this.

The Pre amp or Receiver should have all of the regular sound formats, and you can go from mid priced here, to just crazy too.

(And u do not need to go super crazy IMO)

Take a deep breath... ask better questions after you do some looking and we will continue to help you..

So... What do you need???

1 La Scala Center.. make it work!

2 Sub - yes u need one.. But you can add this later...

3 Buy something 5.1/ 7.1 HDMI w sound formats too.. Don't "over buy" here... Unless u feel a need!

You will thank yourself...and me later...

PS Have fun, too.. It's gonna sound awesome!!!!!!!!!!

derp?

Even I can learn new words.. things too hahahahah

About

“Derp is an expression sometimes used online to signify stupidity,
much like the earlier forms of “duh” and “dur.” One of the first
recorded instances of the term “derp” comes from a short-lived South
Park character, Mr. Derp.

Mr. Derp

In the 34th episode of South Park entitled “The Succubus,”
(original airdate April 21st, 1999) the character of Chef has quit his
job as the school cafeteria worker, and has been replaced by a new
character named Mr. Derp. The character performs slapstick cliche’s,
strikes himself on the head with a hammer, and exclaims “Derp!”

So on we go....

====================================================================

LOL.. The Belle was a better "furniture piece" to fill in the gap for MUSIC between two k horns that "looked better" than a La Scala.

Named after Belle, Pauls wife.

This was done by Paul, long before Home Theater.

Think today how important a HT Dialog- discrete Center Channel is in movies in a 5.1/ 7.1 format? It's Very Important.

And, at that time, the music recordings were not as good as well. (my opinion here LOL) So it was not as critical. Also, ask yourself, what type of music did Paul listen to, and made these speakers for, to re create that too? That third channel at that time was a mono mix of the left n right Channel too.

If TIMBRE matters in the mids and highs (I say it does, Across the three up front) think of a car moving left to center to right.. sound wise... And k horn is NOT really possible here...

The BEST speaker is the La Scala.. a close second is the Belle... But side by side... A vs B in that situation.. Audio wise.. not visually... But what speaker sounds the best? Your gonna want the La Scala.

Is the Belle prettier ?? Yes... Confused? Or did that help?

derp?

Even I can learn new words.. things too hahahahah

About

“Derp is an expression sometimes used online to signify stupidity,
much like the earlier forms of “duh” and “dur.” One of the first
recorded instances of the term “derp” comes from a short-lived South
Park character, Mr. Derp.

Mr. Derp

In the 34th episode of South Park entitled “The Succubus,”
(original airdate April 21st, 1999) the character of Chef has quit his
job as the school cafeteria worker, and has been replaced by a new
character named Mr. Derp. The character performs slapstick cliche’s,
strikes himself on the head with a hammer, and exclaims “Derp!”

So on we go....

====================================================================

LOL.. The Belle was a better "furniture piece" to fill in the gap for MUSIC between two k horns that "looked better" than a La Scala.

Named after Belle, Pauls wife.

This was done by Paul, long before Home Theater.

Think today how important a HT Dialog- discrete Center Channel is in movies in a 5.1/ 7.1 format? It's Very Important.

And, at that time, the music recordings were not as good as well. (my opinion here LOL) So it was not as critical. Also, ask yourself, what type of music did Paul listen to, and made these speakers for, to re create that too? That third channel at that time was a mono mix of the left n right Channel too.

If TIMBRE matters in the mids and highs (I say it does, Across the three up front) think of a car moving left to center to right.. sound wise... And k horn is NOT really possible here...

The BEST speaker is the La Scala.. a close second is the Belle... But side by side... A vs B in that situation.. Audio wise.. not visually... But what speaker sounds the best? Your gonna want the La Scala.

Is the Belle prettier ?? Yes... Confused? Or did that help?

heh .sorry for letting my internet lexicon bleed over. thank you for clarying what I've found to be conflicting information re: Belle's vs. La Scala's

naw your fine..

I searched, and listend, and read, and been here a while, too, to ask others... Then I listened some more... and look below at what I came up with for my HT.

I bleed La Scala's LOL Because I also love K horns.. It's about dynamics in HT for me! It is amazing!

One thing I have also come to believe is if you match any speaker... even three Heresey's up front, it just sounds fantastic as well. Or three RB-5's too.

TIMBRE does matter in a HT. Even three so so speakers... xyz brand up front, after a while and with a good clean sub your ears will adjust, and it sounds great. The key is to get the three up front speakers the same. I am a huge believer of this. We live in the midrange... And the tweeter adds the sizzle.

Even 3 BOSE 101's up front will do a average to pretty good job... Not with the fantastic clean amazing dynamics a KLIPSCH speaker will give you, but you would survive, too, if you did not know any better.

But do yourself a favor and still buy the Klipsch... It will be just that MUCH better to keep u smiling too.