AK4 (or AK5) are the drivers / networks tested before shippment? Burn-in real?

garyrc

Does anyone know if the individual components -- drivers, crossover networks --- in upgrade kits (like the AK4 for the Klipschorn) are tested by Klipsch before they are sent out?
I got an AK4 upgrade from Klipsch back in 2006. The right channel always sounded brighter (or harsher, depending on my mood) on the pink noise setup signal from my pre-amp, and on noise sources from disks. At first I wondered if this would correct itself as the AK4s were burned in, but it never changed, On music, the two channels seem more alike than they do on noise sources.
If the AK4s are routinely tested at the factory, did this practice date back to January 2006 or before?
RE: burn in, do we believe that it is a real electromechanical phenomena, or psychological adaptation to the sound of the speakers, or some degree of both?

Have you talked with Klipsch tech support or e-mailed Amy as a fallback? It seems to me there has been an occasional broken wire lead to a cap or resistor, which IMO could cause something like what you describe. I know I made a trial switch to the AK-5 config, and it only took that kind of minor change to the network to make a small but noticeable change in how it sounded. (I switched it back after a brief listen.)

Since the AK4 is mounted on the back of the bassbin door, you might dismount it on the side that seems out of sorts, and do a flashlight search to for a broken connection or something. Be sure to prop up the door as you take the last screws out, so it doesn't yank off wires if it falls free.