Sub Placement for Newbie

capta

I'll start off by saying that what little I know about home audio, I learned here. My question is: How close can you put the sub to the monitor? I was considering putting the sub on a shelf about a foot above the monitor in the corner of the room. Can it be this close? I could also put it on the (carpeted) floor in the corner beneath the desk. Should it be placed in a corner of the room or not? If not, can someone post some rules of thumb on placement? Advice is appreciated.

A corner is one of the best places for a sub! Putting the sub in the air near your monitor or head...NOT SMART. I have my little philips 50 watt sub in a corner now, and it can rumble the whole room...just wait till I get my 4.1's on Saturday or Monday!!! WOOHOO I'm totally moving my stereo out of it's current location to make room for the rear speakers on my dresser, and the sub in the corner. Who knows where I'll put the other sub...but I really have no use for it...I don't to combine it w/ the Klipsch sub cuz they aren't matched, and it would just sound crappy.

Hope that helps...I'm no expert, but I know a little. =)

Ken

The reason why audio companies designed subwoofer as a seprate component and didnt integrate it in the satelites is because of space and to fit well in the room.

There is a sceintific reason behind this FREQUENCY RESPONCE anything below 150Hz and the human ear cant know where its coming from , so if you for example a diansour in the street and you close your eyes you wont know if it is in front or back of you, thats why the sub also comes as a differnt component it can be placed anywhere since it takes frequencies under 150 Hz

That is an electrical engineering approch

I'd say it shouldnt be closer than 4 feet cause the magnets on the 2 6 and a halfs are big dudes and they are not shielded, so safe would probably be 3 to 4 feet or so, and even then on an exceptionally heavy thump or somethin your monitor picture still may shimmy a little