Spec question / Craig's VRD Amp

Rivernuggets

I was looking at the VRD Tube amp Craig sells, and I don't understand this line in the specs:

60 watts Ultra Linear/30 watts Triode switchable

I know one shouldn't get too hung up on watts.....I'm just curious. Could someone please explain these? I can email Craig and ask him, but here is good too.

I am certainly bowing to the greatness of the masters here but while they are advising people on a higher magnitude at the moment check these out for bathroom reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Linear

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS362US363&ei=1IVzS97OH4-Wtgfx6fX3CQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAYQBSgA&q=ultra+linear+vs+triode&spell=1

Sorry, I can't correctly post links with this browser.

there is a switch on the amps that allow you to listen either in Ultra Linear or in Triode...I prefer Ultra Linear (as do most I'm told) plus the amp is more powerful in Ultra Linear...I think Triode was rumored to be more detailed to some ears but the amp makes less power driven that way...I am by no means an expert but I do own VRDs...Wonderful amps...Craig is great too...

Bill

Triode is considered the "high fidelity" mode of operation. For the "connisseur"

Ultra Linear gives you more power, but as some would say, a less realistic presentation in terms of detail and spatial perception.

The terms are simply about how the power output vacuum tubes are operated. In vacuum tube type audio amplifiers triode is the simplist form of operation. Pentode the next. UltraLinear

Use which ever you prefer. It's your ears.