HT setup... opinions?

bulld0g4

Hi folks. Due to a busy schedule lately I haven't had a chance to setup my speakers that just arrived two days ago. I meant to post here for opinions before I bought everything, but never got around to it. I am just looking for opinions on how this setup should perfrom. Here is what I have...

Pioneer Elite VSX23TXH

RC-62 Center

RB-61 Books

RS-52 Surrounds

And a Veloydyne 10" sub i can't remeber the model off of the top of my head. It's not near top of the line, but my media room is upstairs and it seems to preform pretty well. The room is 14' x 19'. I having been running a half a$$ setup with four Heresy's and a Carver amp. I finally broke down after just buying a new Pioneer TCP65V10 (Phenominal).

The reason am looking for opinions is I am starting to second guess by choice of Books. Maybe I should have gone with the RB-81's. Is there much of a difference? I am considering ordering some 81's and moving the 61's back. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks folks. I won't be switching center channels however as I have a Standout Designs Horizon N702 being delivered on Monday. The center channel shelf is perfect for the 62, in fact it is featured on their webpage with the 62 in all of the pictures. It won't accomadate andextra 8" in center channel width.

That is of course unless I decide to mount the plasma on the wall, which I have been debating. Why did I come here? LOL.

So do you think my current setup will give me decent sound? I had originally intended on going all Heresy, but finding a way to make that big center speaker look good was more than I wanted to mess with.

i agree, it's better to make your audio purchases based on the furniture. having speakers that are sonically matched for your front stage is a bad idea anyways ..

Man that's some ssttiicckkyy sarcasm.....wrong side of the bed? Easy goes it!

missed my meds this morning ..thusly, the character flaws eek out. disregard the snippiness and happy listening ;)

Well, I made some time very late last night to at least conect all of the speakers and watch some HD TV for a a hort while. I must say that currrently I am dissapointed. Now I haven't touched any of the setting on my receiver yet, so I hope it all gets better. Maybe the speakers I chose are too small for the 14x19 room I have them in. The center channel seemed very directional and almost hollow sounding ( I can't think of another way to describe it. To be fair I didn't throw a blu-ray in yet, but I will do that shortly. My first impression was that my 4 Heresy's, without a center channel, run in EXT. STEREO, had a much more full sound to them. Am I off base here. Maybe had I chosen the towers ILO of the books? What would be the best towers to match with this setup?

My first impression was that my 4 Heresy's, without a center channel, run in EXT. STEREO, had a much more full sound to them.

You went from 4 Heresys, one of the most iconic, best known Klipsch speakers that have been in continuous production for DECADES and hoped to upgrade the sound by going to a small 2-way bookshelf speaker? There's no way you can achieve an upgrade or even a similar sound to your Heresys with any of the speakers you're considering. Newer isn't always better in this hobby!

{edit} Wow, that really sounded rude. Sorry about that, but it had to be said. [;)]

A center speaker does not a home theater make. There's a lot more involved than that.

Do you still have your Heresys?

Yep, two matched pairs. Do you think that the my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX23TXH) can push 5 Heresy's if I buy another for the center channel? If I remeber correctly my Heresy II's are 4 Ohms, right? I'm not really sure what issues that presents.

I formerly had all Carver components when I bougt these speakers in the early 90's.Due toa break-in in the late 90's I lost all of the components and the insurance company stuck me with a Carver HTR885.1, which is great, but way outdated for HT use.

I had my 4 Heresy's set up as the front's and rears with my Carver, but couldn't find a setting that workied since i didn't have a center. Are you suggesting that I add another Heresy as a Center? I had planned on moving them downstairs for strictly music use. I initially had the same setup with the Pioneer, but it would only work in EXT. STEREO. There was no dialogue with any other setting. Am I missing something here. It seems like a waste to use the Heresy's as surrounds, as they don't work much there. Is there a speaker that I could use as surrounds that would match with the Heresy's, allowing me to use three across the front? Thanks again.

i've not had the pleasure of hearing heresies, but from what i've read it would be morally reprehensible (worse than killing a litter of kittens in front of 5 yr old girl) to pull those puppies out of HT service. use em if you've got em.. and flank those rb-81's on either side of your computer monitor in the office ;)