Klipsch Newbie, Advice and Curious About Matching Fronts and Surrounds

mpcusack

Hi.

This is my first post (I've been reading these forums pretty heavily for a couple weeks) and my first time setting up a HT system beyond a Costco all-in-one-box.

I've been familiar with Klipsch products through friend's and family's setups and am trying to build my new system 7.1 with them.

My budget is ~$2000-$2500 for speakers and I am looking at powering them with a (yet to be purchased) Marantz SR7002.

Given my restricted budget, I've been looking at either the F3s (2xF3/1xC2/4xS2/1xSub12) or RF52s (2xRF52/1xRC52/4xRS42/1xRW10d). Given that these two systems similiarly price, does any one have opinions between them?

I've also been (yearningly) looking at the RF62s. The whole matchng system adds up to out of my price range. I am thinking about trying to pair those fronts, and maybe the RC62, with small surrounds, maybe RS42s or even cheaper RBs. While it's still important, I care more about how this system performs with music than movies.

Pointers?

Also, I'm in the Santa Cruz, CA area if anyone knows of deals around.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! You have many ways that you can go, so here's a couple that I would suggest for that budget and a HT set up.

1. I would, if going new, I would purchase a killer center and mains and then build the rest of the system as you can afford, unless this is a purchase that you are just looking to get it done in budget and be happy with what you have for a long time. (If you stay on this forum, that ain't happenin)[:P]

2. If you're open to new-used combination, or searching out deals on used and taking some time to put this together, then you open up a plethora of possibilities.

This is how it all begins, so pull those seat belts tight and hang on, it can be one hell of a ride!

Mpcusack,

Welcome to the forum. For $2000.00 to $2500, you should be able to get a very nice speaker setup. I don't know what your room size is but the RF-62/RC-62 combo are some nice speakers. You should be able to find those for under $1200.00.

Here is another option:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542998911/klipsch-rf82-black-single-speaker

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/548449330/klipsch-rc62-black

Here is an idea for surrounds. Buy two or four. They make great surrounds. I have two of them doing surround duty with my RF-63/RC-64 combo.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/1616060972.html

A pair of RF-82's, RC-62, and a pair of RSX-4's will come in under $1800.00 and will leave you some more room for a sub.

Bill

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542798261/klipsch-rf62-black-single-speaker'>

First of all, welcome!!! So much great info on this forum!!

I can't comment on the Synergy line, I haven't heard them. As far as the RF line goes, I really enjoy my equipment. I had RF-25's and a RC-35 (which are the predecessors to the RF-62's and RC-62), and I loved them.

As far as your budget goes... Are you opposed to buying used? I purchased every speaker in my system (see signature tag) for well under your $2000 budget. Patience is the name of the game.

Jrod

If you watch eBay there's a couple sellers who regularly sell the RC-64 center for $650 including shipping and RF-63s for $899 including shipping. If you can swing the upper end of your budget that will leave you $1000 for surrounds and a sub.

Willand,

You've found the RSX-4s perform well enough along side the larger speakers? I was worried that even substituting something beefier than those for my surrounds I would end up with an unbalanced sound.

And what do you think of your RSW-10d?

I think they perform fine. They are not the ideal choice but work just fine for me now. I will eventually get the RS-52's when I find a pair in my price range and I have the available $$$. I listen to music mainly in stereo so having smaller surrounds is a non issue.

The RSW-10d is a great sub. The 10in woofers(one active, one passive) really are fast and tight for music and also perform well for HT. I had the RW-10d before with this setup and it is not even close to the sub the RSW-10d is. I moved it to the bedroom.

The reason I suggested the RF-82's over the 62's is that you should get the best front soundstage you can afford and worry about matching surrounds as more $$$ comes your way.

Bill