Do you like the look of this horn?

greg928gts

Those look great Greg, keep thinking outside the hornBig Smile. Are you going to run some tests prior to changing the trim so you know how the trim change affects the horn, and how that prototype compares to a conventional tractrix design?

Yes, I will do plenty of testing, but not with/without trim. I doubt the trim will make any difference, it's beyond where the horn design completes itself, and it's outside of where the wave would contact it. I'll be comparing directly to my V-Trac horns in my Khorns.

How's your garage workshop coming along? Looking forward to your Jamboree build. BTW, this prototype horn, and the finished horns to follow, are for a customer who is building Jamboree bass bins.

Greg

How's your garage workshop coming along? Looking forward to your Jamboree build. BTW, this prototype horn, and the finished horns to follow, are for a customer who is building Jamboree bass bins.

Slow but sure. I think I'm going to knock out a pair of split Cornwalls first and hopefully will be starting the cabinets this week as I have most of the parts in now and then on to the big boys. Al's got a thread going on horn size and driver crossover points and was wondering what you are doing when your building a tractrix horn that, as an example, is going to have a driver in it that will be crossed at say 500 or 600, what tolerances will you apply when building the horn? Would you build it specifically for the designed crossover point or do you design it lower, and if so, how much? You have to love this adventure, with every answer comes another question or two. Keep up the great work!

Slow but sure. I think I'm going to knock out a pair of split Cornwalls first and hopefully will be starting the cabinets this week as I have most of the parts in now and then on to the big boys. Al's got a thread going on horn size and driver crossover points and was wondering what you are doing when your building a tractrix horn that, as an example, is going to have a driver in it that will be crossed at say 500 or 600, what tolerances will you apply when building the horn? Would you build it specifically for the designed crossover point or do you design it lower, and if so, how much? You have to love this adventure, with every answer comes another question or two. Keep up the great work!

I design about a half octave lower than the crossover point. But as I build more and more horns, I'm begining to understand how to modify them a little for better performance. So the Fc may end up being lower or higher than a half octave in relation to the crossover point, depending on other factors, like the throat shape, or if the length of the horn has been modified in relation to the mouth size, or if the horn is pure tractrix or a combination of curves, etc... I'm reluctant to get into this too much here on the forum.

Greg

I design about a half octave lower than the crossover point. But as I build more and more horns, I'm begining to understand how to modify them a little for better performance. So the Fc may end up being lower or higher than a half octave in relation to the crossover point, depending on other factors, like the throat shape, or if the length of the horn has been modified in relation to the mouth size, or if the horn is pure tractrix or a combination of curves, etc... I'm reluctant to get into this too much here on the forum.

Greg

I understand, and I think I'm going to try a few different configurations on the split Cornscala's to play around with that myself and see what I can learn.

Greg,

I like the concept, but is the horn in the picture finished?

If it is, there are entirely too many gaps I can see and slightly off lengths.

Otherwise a very pretty concept. Yes

Roger

Yes, thanks for pointing that out Roger! Embarrassed edit - LOL - didn't want you to think I took any offense.

I had a VERY difficult time putting this trim on, which is another reason why I'm leaning towards doing it a different way.

I didn't sand or fill any of the trim, it's just a prototype horn. But I wouldn't rely on sanding and filling too much anyway, the joinery would have to be better. It took me about two hours to do the trim on that one horn.

Greg

Greg,

Did not figgure it would be taken wrongly at all. My experience with custom woodworking said it was not up to snuff with your usual finished product, and we can't have you slackin now can we?? [8-|]

Still waiting to see pictures of you starting on that old Klipschorn I packed for you... [:P]

Rog

I've got it sitting on one of my Khorns now, and it's very obvious to me now that the top and bottom extensions don't work well aesthetically. The side trim looks great, and I think if that trim is installed around the face of the horn without the top and bottom extensions it will look great.

I listened to it for the first time today and it's a great sounding horn. Makes me consider the idea of removing the tops of my Khorns and using horns like that instead - if they pass the WAF.

Greg