Fine Tuning the La Scala

sootshe

Thought I'd report on some fine tuning that I've recently done to my La Scalas. For background they are LS clones with the bass reflex mod as per my avator with all the usual mods. The other day I swapped out the polyester wadding in the BR cab for some fibreglass insulation & the difference was quite dramatic. The bass is a lot warmer & the kick drum has a lot more weight behind it. The other thing I did was drop the mid back another notch on the crossover (ALK Uni's) & am now running 0 & 2 (previously 1 & 4). This also made a big improvement in the overall balance. I feel like I'm listening to a whole new speaker now. It just shows how important it is to get that balance right & I'm glad I persevered to find the solution to the things I wasn't hearing. Guess I won't have to build that KHorn bass cabinet after all!!

If I had access to your cabinet making skills,  I would go ahead and build the Khorn bins just to "hear them for yourself". .....come on soothe,  its just a few more sheets of plywood DevilDevilDevil

Please don't forget that I had a cabinet maker friend of mine do the actual construction & I did the finishing off. Maybe a few more bottles of red will convince him that I do really need the KHorn cabs!!!

Well, why not?? I see from your pics that having proper corners for K's might be a problem???....might as well put backs on em and brace up real good while your at it. You really should hear the difference for yourself if you can swing it...just a big effortless room filling sound. Now, speaking of wine, I think I might indulge in a glass or two of Aussie red myself...Cheers.

Getting the speakers dialed in to sound their best in your particular room as well as in the lab is something lots of people don't do, so they never hear their speakers perform to their full potential. It sounds like yours are really performing up to spec. Job well done!

Are you using a sub with your Scalas? Some feel that a pair of La Scalas and a sub are easily the equal of a pair of Klipschorns. They're not precisely the same flavour, so taste counts, but still at least as good or better to some ears.

Getting the speakers dialed in to sound their best in your particular room as well as in the lab is something lots of people don't do, so they never hear their speakers perform to their full potential.  It sounds like yours are really performing up to spec.  Job well done!

Are you using a sub with your Scalas?  Some feel that a pair of La Scalas and a sub are easily the equal of a pair of Klipschorns.  They're not precisely the same flavour, so taste counts, but still at least as good or better to some ears.

Islander,

No, tried a sub & just didn't like the sound of the bottom end, although it certainly went deep enough (Velodyne HGS 12). That was what prompted me to try to find a solution to extending the bass. I find that the bass reflex cab gives me all the bass I could want. From my memory of the sound of KHorns I believe these are the equal, in fact, I prefer these, as they seem to have a punchier mid bass & are more exciting to listen to, whereas, for my taste, the KHorn's are a more relaxed type of sound..

am now running 0 & 2 (previously 1 & 4).

I made the change to 0 & 2 this past Sunday and had the same experience.....a much more balanced sound. I am using Altec 511 horns and Altec 902 drivers with a Beyma tweeter. You and Marvel have piqued my interest in the bass cabinet extension.