Klipsch abused on e-bay

Jim Cornell

I used to look on e-bay for deals, and it seems like all there is anymore is parts!

I wish the SOB that tears apart his speakers to sell on e-bay would just keep them in one piece for others to enjoy!

Ive seen people pay way to much for these speaker parts!

There is a pair of k-horns buy it now for $5200.00 i was thinking of going out there to smack this guy! LOL!

There is another fabulous set of k-horns there nice cane, check them out!

Well wife just had surgery for cancer, im waiting for her to get out of the hospital!

Regards Jim

Ebay's only good point regarding Klipsch anymore is for reference only - to see what Klipsch are selling for. It's rare to see a "buy it now" on ebay that is a real value - and the bid prices on Heritage are often out of sight! Sellers are now figuring out that the parts are collectively worth more than the whole - especially if the cabinets are beat up.

If I am really looking for Klipsch Heritage to purchase, I have much more faith in this board to provide me with the Klipsch I need, instead of ebay. To me, ebay favors the seller too much - you cannot touch and hear the product in most cases, and you cannot back out if you place a winning bid, and discover that the product is not as advertised (unless you are willing to take negative feedback).

I am also not really a big fan of auctions in general, at least from the buyer's perspective. I prefer the seller offer the unit for sale, and to tell me how much he or she wants for it. I have much better success and comfort level with this approach - the old fashioned way.

BTW, best wishes to your wife on a speedy recovery!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 03-19-2002 at 10:29 AM

Yeah I hear what your saying ebay can be a steal for

alot of things and a rip off session for others. I check

ebay just like you said for prices and comparisons on

Klipsch stuff also I like to find cool Memorabilia like

My 2 Klipsch coffee mugs and cool little Klipsch things

for my room by the home theatre like old ads or magazine

articals..

Jim Best wishes on your wifes speedy and great recovery!

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

Ebays been very very good to me!

I just receveied a 1960,s cornwall II cabnet with the vertical horns type.The cabnet came empty but is in mint condition the kicker is it was only $50.00

I also won the whole 1959 klipsch line on ebay for 1000.00 (one or each khorn,short horn,cornwall,hersey)

The hersey and cornwall are both of the first run with serial # under 100.

I plan to use the drivers out off the short horn (same xover and drivers as cornwall)in the newer cornwall for know.

Jim

Jim

Ebay has its share of jokers but if you're careful you can still find bargains. I just recently bid on and won a pair of 1975 Cornwall I's, Designer series, raw birch, from the original owner for $626.00. The speakers were within driving distance from my house so I didn't have to pay for shipping or worry about damage, it cost me about $25.00 in fuel. The pair is in great condition and after watching other Cornwall's go for over $1000.00 I was glad to get these, if the Heritage line price trend continues it will get harder and harder to find a set for a decent price.

Usually I read between the lines of the seller's listing to try to determine whether its just someone selling their old stuff or a reseller/scrounger trying to sell junk for the maximum dollar. If you're reading a listing and it starts looking like a sales pitch its best to run away fast and look elsewhere. Also, if a seller won't answer e-mails during the auction or gives unclear descriptions (especially about cosmetics) its best to steer clear no matter how bad you want the item. I've been burned on a couple of low-priced items but I've met some really decent people on Ebay who would go out of their way to help you (like the people on this forum) and share a passion for audio equipment. I'm a bit of a curmudgeon but dealing on Ebay has restored my faith in humanity somewhat, its nice to know that there's far more honest people out there than the media would have you think. Just watch out for the schmucks and stay away from bidding wars (no matter how bad you have a case of the "I wants").

---------------------------------------------------

Aragon Soundstage pre/pro

Aragon 8008ST amps (3 of 'em)

Aragon D2A2 dac

Aragon 47K phono stage

Linn LP12 Lingo turntable

Rega Planet CD player

Nakamichi DVD-15 DVD player

Denon DR-F7 cassette deck

Cornwall II mains

Academy center

Cornwall I's (once reassembled) surrounds

KSW-12 sub

LF-10 sub

Thank you my wife is fine, ganna be a slow healer!

I KNOW I TEND TO COME OFF AS AN *** AT TIMES lol!!

I caint see people paying 600.00 for drivers and components on e-bay then have to build cabinets!

But thats ok, in the long run its cheaper than sending the cabinets as well!

Logical.

Regards Jim

E-bay is a mixed bag and most certainly a buyer beware environment. As long as you go into it with that expectation, you shouldn't be disappointed. I have had success with 'buy it now' options especially when the seller has not done his/her homework. Right place, right time. '83 CW's for $500 'buy it now' just 3 months ago. Last night there were a pair of Forte (I's) for a 'buy it now' of $425. In oiled walnut, these were a good deal. They were gone this morning. However, there was/is(?) another set of Oak Forte (I's), one slightly cosmetically dinged up but generally easily 'restorable' for a 'buy it now' of $400. Another steal and I bet they will be swooped upon if not already very soon.

My problem is not to get caught up in the last second bidding frenzy. The other day, as posted variously on this BB, there were CW boxes from that dude that seems to have every heritage Klipsch available especially KHorns, in staggering numbers, RedondoTom. These boxes sat at like $26 up until the last few hours. Heck of deal. Having enough components to populate them laying idle on shelves, I thought 'what the hell'. My sister lives down in that area and was willing to pick-up as 'Tom' wouldn't ship. Like I say, in the waning moments, these skyrocketed to a figure that was IMHO, beyond ridiculous. You could have made yourself a set or two out of Myrtlewood Burl for less.

------------------

Ed