Which, in your opinion, is the best DVD player?

Kain

best dvd player w/out getting diminishing returns for $'s spent...sony dvpns900v. multi-channel sacd, excellent video quality w/video enhancement features, and excellent build quality...all for under $700. THIS is the one.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Kain

That's a "loaded" question----I see you seem to have a 36" Sony display----in that case---I wouldn't spend too much---probably don't even need progressive scan (though they are so cheap now---why not?)

Want DVD A or SACD capability?----(you should). then get that playback feature for sure--(assuming your Sony AVR has 5.1 analog inputs).

IMO----you need to be into at least 55" of display before investing in an expensive DVD-progressive scan model---your 36" TV is great---but I don't think you'd get enough bang out of an expensive player---wouldn't see enough difference if any from a very basic (good) unit---one you can buy for $150 retail---But get the new audio format capability----for sure---in that case--the new Denon 1600/3800 players are getting some pre release good opinion----maybe the Panny RP 91--or if you want SACD---maybe the PHillips Q50---

my 2 cents--Dave

I am picking up my Panasonic RP 91 as soon as my wife comes home.

Kids are still working on their home work from school.

Very rare to hear a bad review on this one. I did not want SACD. I wanted DVD A to listen to the Warner artists like Neil Young.

The Sony recommendation is sound.

Best DVD player(s)

In the "inexpensive" category we have only two worthy contenders.Both by Toshiba!

Toshiba 4700(have it) and 5700 DVD players

In the dio it all category Pioneer DV AX-10(have it),not cheap but awesome all in one High-End piece.

In the best of the best Ayre and Theta DaViD DVD's bring the performance home.I would like one day to get the Ayre DVD player,its THE DVD.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

sorry for the ignorant question but how different can these dvd players be??? Take away extra features like sacd, progrssive scan, etc and going to the meat and bones of just playing the dvd movie how much of a factor can the dvd player be in terms of quality???

------------------

Education is an admirable thing. But it is well

to remember from time to time that nothing that

is worth knowing can be taught.

OW

dsommerl, shame on you. You can't see a difference in quality between a $150 player and a nice one? I saw a huge difference between my cheap sony and my Panny RP-91 on my 34" TV. And if nothing else, the sound quality from a $150 DVD player is horrible. Good recommendations, though. Nobody mentioned the new Pioneer Elite DV-47A. DVD Audio, SACD, and Progressive Scan all in one!!! If I was buying a DVD player today, this is the one I would get. Happy with my Panny for now, though.

------------------

My Home Theater

avman,

Do you know that there were technical problems with the NS900V? They said that there is a problem with RGB and that this DVD player is now removed from all European websites. They say that the problem is only with the European models.

sorry for not thinking globally, i didn't know about problems w/the 900v, no problems reported in my section of the u.s.a. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Vatican3,

That kind of depends upon what you're asking the DVD player to do.

If you're hooking up the DVD player to a 32" TeeVee set and you're routing the digital output of the DVD to a receiver for conversion, then I'd say there's such a minor perceptible difference between any well designed, well built player in the couple hundred dollar range and the over-the-top stuff in the mega thousand dollar range that it'd be difficult to see the difference, let alone try and justify the price.

However, if you're hooking the DVD player's component video outputs to a front projection system and displaying a 9 foot diagonal image, and you're using the DVD player's internal D/A processors to drive a high end preamp / amp (say in the Krell / Mark Levinson / Pass Labs / Lamm / VTL / Wyteck class), and you're listening to JMLab Utopias or Dynaudio Evidence or Avalon Eidolons or Wilsons or some such thing, then there ARE significant differences, particularly in the D/A and analog output circuitry.

Ray, who's entire system consists of an integrated amp and a pair of headphones, so take this with a grain of salt... Smile.gif

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

well, i have a $100 dvd player. Actually its my pioneer 106s DVD drive in my computer. My computer is connected to a 3802. Just tested out gladiator and that first scene is pretty amazing in dts. The crunching sounds on those bows and catapults sound so real! I guess my 106s paired with my audigy plat is probobly as good if not better than most dvd players out there if i try to connect one to my receiver.

------------------

Education is an admirable thing. But it is well

to remember from time to time that nothing that

is worth knowing can be taught.

OW

FYI the Pioneer 47A is getting panned on the other forums----suggest you check the AVS forum on this and other player recommendations---I find them to be the most informative---still think that it takes a much bigger screen to really get the "bang" (video) out of an expensive player IMHO-----DVD audio, however is fantastic---and REALLY worth the extra $ (provided you AVR or whatever--has the analog inputs---at least 6 of 'em.

my 2 cents--Dave

Horn-E

Another thing to consider is that your "old Sony" that may have cost several hundred $----is probably inferior to the $150 retail players now out there---this DVD thing is evolving so quickly with such mass mfg volumes--this technology is leap frogging far more than any of the others---and there promises to be more "built in obsolence" in this component than any of the others---displays, AVR's etc etc for several more years-----plus---from what I read---there aren't any really clear picks on DVD out there--each one seems to have a quirk or two---chroma bug or what have you.--plus so much of the output of these things is dependent on the software quality or lack there of.

I'd spend a grand on one right now---if there was that ONE that stood out---it really is confusing. That I think is why everyone is on the edge of their chairs waiting for some hands on with the new Denon pieces due out this month and next-----"on paper" either has the potential to be the ONE player (though neither will have SACD for now---DVD-A only). But, for my $---I'm going with DVD-A anyway as it looks like this format might be the broadest supported---in Japan. Apparently Sony and I believe Phillips are playing the old "hard to get" as in licensing games with SACD---much more than is occuring in DVD-A---

Whatever or whichever---definitely recommend the DVD audio type format---it really is outstanding---ideal for our Klipsch set ups

Regards, Dave