Chorus Question

CapZark

So I replaced my rc-52 center with the Academy Imho it was louder and more dynamic. Which is some of the most important things to keep up with the larger speakers.

duder

I had a KLF-C7 and and Academy both at the same time. I thought the C7 was easier to hear the dialog in the movies but as stupid a reason as it is I kept the Academy and sold the C7 because the Academy matched my Forte IIs (both as a recommendation of the old website and because it was oak oil like my Forte IIs where as the C7 was black) I think my Academy is better sounding now after the new crossovers but I sold the C7 before I got the crossovers back from DeanG so I can't compare them again now.

The reason you could hear the dialog on the C7 easier is the C7 is a little more efficient, meaning that the C7 produces more volume with the same amount of power input, than the Academy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I replaced my rc-52 center with the Academy Imho it was louder and more dynamic. Which is some of the most important things to keep up with the larger speakers.

duder

I had a KLF-C7 and and Academy both at the same time. I thought the C7 was easier to hear the dialog in the movies but as stupid a reason as it is I kept the Academy and sold the C7 because the Academy matched my Forte IIs (both as a recommendation of the old website and because it was oak oil like my Forte IIs where as the C7 was black) I think my Academy is better sounding now after the new crossovers but I sold the C7 before I got the crossovers back from DeanG so I can't compare them again now.

Quick question, did you upgrade all you crossovers with DeanG's. If so have you compared them with any fo Crites what do you think. After I finish getting all my surround sound setup were I want it I will consider crossover updates.

sorry for hijacking.

duder

The reason you could hear the dialog on the C7 easier is the C7 is a little more efficient, meaning that the C7 produces more volume with the same amount of power input, than the Academy.

I ran YPAO after changing speakers so I'd think my Yamaha 663 would have adjusted the level for the C7 to make up for the higher efficiency.

Quick question, did you upgrade all you crossovers with DeanG's. If so have you compared them with any fo Crites what do you think. After I finish getting all my surround sound setup were I want it I will consider crossover updates.

sorry for hijacking.

I upgraded both my front Forte II and Academy with crossovers rebuilt by DeanG. I have another pair of Forte IIs that are stock that I used to compare against the upgraded crossovers. It made a nice difference. The old ones sounded flat before the upgrade, worse than the other stock ones for whatever reason. After the upgrade they blew the other stock ones away (and remember the ones I didn't upgrade sounded a lot better than the ones I did upgrade before the upgrade...if that makes any sense!) Then I updated the tweeters to Crites titanium tweeters.

At the same time I sent DeanG my Academy crossover too. I just bought a pair of KSP 400s together with an Academy so I'll be able to compare the factory stock Academy vs my current Academy with Crites titianum tweeters just to see the difference.

I updated my Cornwalls myself with the parts from Bob Crites and they sound much better.

I've never had Bob Crites rebuild any of my crossovers, I didn't even know they did until the other day I saw someone else talking about Bob doing theirs. I thought Bob only redid the Heritage ones, didn't know he did the the ones on printed circuit boards. But Bob's reputation speaks for itself. I'm sure if Bob does the job its done right.

I guess you could contact both BEC and DeanG and compare the brand of caps they use and decide which way you want to go. I think Bob is cheaper but I think Dean uses more expensive items. I've use both and I've been inpressed with both as far as customer service and the product itself.