I hate my Time Warner DVR receiver

winchester21

I cant understand why anyone would think cable is outdated. Let me give a few examples on why I say this. When I order VOD over cable with in seconds my video of choice is playing. Since cable is a 2-way system all request come in and out over the same line. Satellite on the other hand requires broadband service (a separate fee and should be factored in as part of the total cost) for VOD to function and is only available on their high end boxes. In my area the slowest internet speeds offered through cable is 6MB but with speed boost consistently averages 15-19MB. Speeds then range all the way up to 100MB and has the capacity to go well beyond that. What internet speeds does your Satellite company offer? When compared to Phone, the highest DSL speeds in my area is 10MB, no comparison. Phone service over Cable has no long distance charges and includes all call features for one set fee. How much is phone through Satellite? Does your phone company charge long distance fees or extra for call features? Again these are only a few examples but I could easily continue on.

I had DTV for years- My contract ran out. My dvr recievers quit worknig. They wanted a 2 year contract renewal to change them out. I refuse to be bullied into a contract. SO I told the to go love them selves. they pulled my credit card number and removed a ridiculious amount od cash from my account. I denied the charge as fraud. I will edn up paying them something yet to be detemined. This is the way the stupid thugs do business. I switched to TW. Sadly it is not as good as DTV. My invoices are 40 dollars more than they quoted but at least they are not DTV. I am on a 2 year contract and I will switch back to something else when the agreement runs out in 18 months. Everybody is out to screw the consumer. Both of them suck and suck and suck. If i could find an aftermarket TIVO or something with some real storage I think I could tuff it out until the contract runs out.

Any claim that either one of these outfits is decent - TW or DTV is a joke. I hate both of them. Necessary evil.

As a consumer I am one pissed offf cowboy.[8o|]

NEVER give DTV a credit or debit card number. If there is a problem or dispute they will simply hit your card with whatevfer they think that you owe them.

I had to cancel my card as a result of my issue with them. Currently in disputed charges review at Wachovia.

I would use checks or small PPD visa in dealing with them if I had it to do over.

What you might not realize is in order to loose credibility, you must first have it. Your first mistake was presupposing that JB had some to start with! Devil

Now I understand your comment.

You want to hurt me?
Go ahead if it makes you feel better.
I'm an easy target.
Yeah, you're right.
I talk too much.
I also listen too much.
I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you,
but I don't like to hurt people's feelings.
Well, you think what you want about me.
I'm not changing.
I like--I like me.
My wife likes me.
My customers like me.
'Cause I'm the real article.
What you see is what you get. Cable is still a ripoff.

I cant understand why anyone would think cable is outdated. Let me give a few examples on why I say this. When I order VOD over cable with in seconds my video of choice is playing. Since cable is a 2-way system all request come in and out over the same line. Satellite on the other hand requires broadband service (a separate fee and should be factored in as part of the total cost) for VOD to function and is only available on their high end boxes. In my area the slowest internet speeds offered through cable is 6MB but with speed boost consistently averages 15-19MB. Speeds then range all the way up to 100MB and has the capacity to go well beyond that. What internet speeds does your Satellite company offer? When compared to Phone, the highest DSL speeds in my area is 10MB, no comparison. Phone service over Cable has no long distance charges and includes all call features for one set fee. How much is phone through Satellite? Does your phone company charge long distance fees or extra for call features? Again these are only a few examples but I could easily continue on.

Let me see if I can explain this in terms you'll understand. The VOD over cable within seconds is also available with satallite, I will give you that you have to have a land line telephone for the box to download back to Dish to bill you, but that's nothing more than a technological gap, as of yet. The facts that you stated in an earlier post about the expenses of setup and maintanace, including Pole rent is the exact reason that Cable is outdated and soon to be Obsolete. When a service can be provided anywhere without a wire it will always win out. For example, I remember the 1970's, before remote control televisions. Well, I was actually the remote control. Dad would tell me to get up and flip through the channels while he watched and he told me when to stop. Along came the first remote controls, they actually had a wire attached to the tv. Hope your couch wasn't too far away[:D] for the remote to reach. Then the technology moved to wireless, and the rest is history. Today you wouldn't think of buying ANY electronics if it didn't have a remote, would you.

As far as cable companies providing internet and telephone, They did it because they HAD to, it was a matter of survival. As far as being FREE, again they had to to be competitive. Don't worry, the price is still built in, you just don't see it. Actually, the service provided has no bearing on what your being charged. You are being charged based on a comparison of what the other technology charges, therefore basing it's fee off being competitive to that market. Take away the other competition and watch the Crooked Cable Companies (CCC) increase their fees, only because they can.

With emerging wireless internet technology and satallite, I forsee a day when BOTH land telephone and cable will be a dying infrastructure. The only thing that will remain will be fiber optics to transport massive amounts of technology, long distances, at the speed of light. That being said, I invision a day (Regarding Television, Telephone, and Internet) will ultimately be completely combined into ONE service. Internet, will dominate. This is already happening with the Iphone technology, Vonage, and Streaming Video over the internet. The only difference is going to be, "How you receive" the service. For the residential consumer, it WILL be some type of wireless (either Cell phone, tower to tower transmissions, or Satallite transmissions) The only land lines will be for Hub to Hub transmissions between satallite receiving stations, or cell towers.

The only problem with this technology improvements is competition. As long as there is Cable, Telephone, and Satallite competing for marketshare, WE (the conusmer) will win. When one technology completely dominates, "HANG ON TO YOUR WALLET" cause' it's gonna cost you.

The fact that Cable and Telephone have miles and miles of wire that have to be maintained, that technology is doomed.

The only problem complaint I hear is that the internet telephone will not function during a power failure as a land line does. And we get many power failures per year.

JJK

That is true, but, how many people actually have a CORDED telephone nowadays. I tried to find just a simple corded phone just for that case, cause cordless phones won't work in a power failure also. Not much selection for those items nowdays. Besides, doesn't your cell phone work in a power failure?

Phone over cable will still function as normal if your house loses power for up to 8 hrs. If the hard line loses power service will still function for up to 4 hrs. As far as all future services being wireless, I'm not so sure of that. One of the biggest issues with wireless is interference. The service is susceptible to everything else thats also being transmitted. Since Cable is a closed system it has less issues with interference. Cable can control whats getting into its system by having an active signal leakage program. The fault where foreign signal is getting in can be found and corrected. How can satellite control another source thats causing problems? We experienced a spike in our installs directly after our last snowstorm because of this very reason. Many customers said they were tired of losing service due to the weather. We didn't have one weather related outage during the entire storm. A closed system is also more secure than one thats wireless. Ask your local bank if they communicate over wireless or if its a secured connection. I know the answer as Banks are one of our largest customers. As far as VOD, DirectTv's own website states to connect the converter to either a wired or wireless internet connection. Connecting a phone line will do nothing to make VOD operate. I completely understand how both technologies work and know this as being a fact.

Phone over cable will still function as normal if your house loses power for up to 8 hrs. If the hard line loses power service will still function for up to 4 hrs. As far as all future services being wireless, I'm not so sure of that. One of the biggest issues with wireless is interference. The service is susceptible to everything else thats also being transmitted. Since Cable is a closed system it has less issues with interference. Cable can control whats getting into its system by having an active signal leakage program. The fault where foreign signal is getting in can be found and corrected. How can satellite control another source thats causing problems? We experienced a spike in our installs directly after our last snowstorm because of this very reason. Many customers said they were tired of losing service due to the weather. We didn't have one weather related outage during the entire storm. A closed system is also more secure than one thats wireless. Ask your local bank if they communicate over wireless or if its a secured connection. I know the answer as Banks are one of our largest customers. As far as VOD, DirectTv's own website states to connect the converter to either a wired or wireless internet connection. Connecting a phone line will do nothing to make VOD operate. I completely understand how both technologies work and know this as being a fact.

Let me ask you ONE question.......

Where does your company derive it's signal from?.... Dare I make a guess, Satallite?????

Let's just keep paying the middle man cause the cable company deserves it.

Thats a compounded question which I'm sure your well aware. As far as the direct pickup of video service you would be correct. But keep in mind the location is in an area where interference can be controlled. Can the typical residence be controlled in the same manner? In one word NO and I'm willing to bet you already knew this. Now let me ask you a question. Out of everything I have stated why is it that you keep going around the facts? My comments are in no way my own opinion. I am simply stating the facts of the industry. There are many homes that subscribe to both Cable and Satellite. I am glad they both exist as everyone wins. Cable has changed over the past 10 years and they know if they don't stay competitive it will be the end for them. They no longer have the mind set that there the only game in town. I can at least say that for my company. Millions of dollars have been invested and there gloves are on. Cable knows they need to offer every service there customers expect. Not to many company's can say that. If you read my post the point I was trying to make is Cable offers Video, Phone and Internet. How many company's can say that? Calling Cable outdated when they offer more services then the competition doesn't sound right to me.

Thats a compounded question which I'm sure your well aware. As far as the direct pickup of video service you would be correct. But keep in mind the location is in an area where interference can be controlled. Can the typical residence be controlled in the same manner? In one word NO and I'm willing to bet you already knew this. Now let me ask you a question. Out of everything I have stated why is it that you keep going around the facts? My comments are in no way my own opinion. I am simply stating the facts of the industry. There are many homes that subscribe to both Cable and Satellite. I am glad they both exist as everyone wins. Cable has changed over the past 10 years and they know if they don't stay competitive it will be the end for them. They no longer have the mind set that there the only game in town. I can at least say that for my company. Millions of dollars have been invested and there gloves are on. Cable knows they need to offer every service there customers expect. Not to many company's can say that. If you read my post the point I was trying to make is Cable offers Video, Phone and Internet. How many company's can say that? Calling Cable outdated when they offer more services then the competition doesn't add up to me.

I must say, You sir, are quite the Politician. I refuse to converse with you any further as YOU sir, are the one accusing me of exactly what you are doing. You must have taken many years of "Dance" (speech and debate) Lessons.

Good luck to you and your delusions.[N]