In need of help pretty quick...Mcintosh or Marantz

handrewmoore

I've got an opportunity to grab a McIntosh ma6200 for a good price, but it'll run me about twice that of a vintage marantz 22XX series. I'm looking to get an integrated amp that can act as a decent preamp for when I switch to tubes. I've never heard either of these integrated amps, just been reading reviews. Of course, usually each thread is going on about how wonderful the respective topic is. I don't have any way to compare the two. I'm happy to buy the Mc over the marantz if it's truly a step up, especially in the preamp dept. Though keep in mind, I will be using it as an integrated till i decide on which tubes to go with, could be 6mos or could be a year. So, what do you guys think? surely either one will make Cornwalls sing a little better than a low end best buy Denon. any help would be appreciated.

Oh and I'll be picking your brains about the tubes in another thread.

Thanks,

Andy

Go with the Mac- The rebuild on a Marantz is expensive. Many old Marantz units will require it. Terry Dewick in Tenn will go through an old Mac for a very reasonable price and make it sound like new. I ran a Mac 2105 and with several older mac preamps driving cornwalls early on.

I also love the old Marantz stuff- particulary after a top notch rebuild.

Terry Dewick takes the risk out of buying older macs.

Having owned a Marantz 2270 when they came out in the early 70's I can say they are a nice sounding amp. I went from that to a Dynaco kit to a Mac C-28 preamp with a MC 2105 amp and I'll tell you there was noooo comparison.

That being said, if your goal is to switch to tubes, then I would have you consider the Mac 230 integrated amp right off the bat. You don't need massive power to drive Cornwalls, this amp will do nicely. They don't bring the exorbitant prices that the separates bring on eBay, and it's highly regarded by people who know, like Terry Dewick. They show up on ebay quite often, and won't bankrupt you.

I was thinking the same thing. The mac is in top notch working order and comes with the wood case in pristine condition. I've got a line in on a few Marantz that all seem to be in good condition, but have read that almost all need a little refurbing. There is a guy in colorado that will refurb the Marantz for about $300.

Cosmetically, I love the Marantz. They just look solid. The Mac ma6200 isn't the best looking piece around but if it's a better piece of equipment and will out perform a sub $600 Marantz it seems to be the smarter buy. I've also read that the phono stage on the Mac is particularly good for the line.

My only hesitation is that I hear a lot about the warmth of Marantz matches really well with Klipsch heritage speakers. Both are solid state, but does anyone have any insight into the ma6200 sound with klipsch?

I'm also planning on doing a fresh build of a Bob Latino Dynaco st-70 sometime this year or buying a WIll VIncent rebuild. WIll either of these integrates perform as preamp particularly well or poor with that type of amp?

IMO the Mac MA230 is the worst integrated they ever made. Why ruin a decent tube amp by combining it with possibly the worst SS preamp they ever built? There are Mac pieces that are great preformers that deserve the $$$$ they get, but the 230 is not one of them, in my book.

Would the Marantz 22xx series or Mac ma-6200 be a better preamp than the 230? Or is it more difficult to match SS and tubes in general? I'd like to use an integrated as a pre because I need some tunes while i decide on what to do about an amp. And an integrated could always keep me backed up if something goes awry with the tube amp.

I've never done tubes before, so i'm a little cautious. I've heard too many stories of someone sending an amp off to get fixed and taking weeks or months to return. I can't live without music filling the house for that long! I plan on ditching the HT receiver for a little cash as soon as I make the transition.

The going rate for a McIntosh MA 6200 is $700 to $1000. If you can get it for 5 to 7 bills, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up, as you will always get your money back if it is in solid condition. The two Marant receiver winners are the 2230 and 2270, but both are seriously outclassed by the Mac.

Tube amps are a whole different story. Vintage ones need a thorough rebuild in order to be reliable for another thirty years, and the great techs have a long waiting queue, because they are anal about making things GOOD. As many of us have found out, the cheapest vintage tube amps are the ones that go through the health spa at one of the vetted techs that frequent this forum, and others. The fly by night techs have little lead times. Read up, and it will be obvious there are some simple options and cost levels to consider.