Finishes [Forte/Academy/KG2.5] -- Question

Randy --

I'm about to start purchasing a pair of Forte's (or Forte II's), an Academy, and some KG 2.5's. I want them all in black, but I was thinking that I could just get whatever color and paint them black. However, I'm wondering the following:

1) Do all the finishes use the same veneer?

2) Should I not paint?

Thanks!

Randy

The veneers for the oil and clear finishes back then were matched on the pairs sold so that they were mirror images. The facing inner sides will mirror each other. It has been my understanding that the black finished speakers used veneer that did not make the standard for this. Personally I would not paint a nice wood finish in great shape. My academy has been painted by a PO, and looks fine from a distance though. I would not have done it. Now, if you get a banged up pair that would be difficult to make good as a natural wood finish, then a satin black painting project could make sense. The choice is yours, but be aware (even if you are never selling them) that the black finish sells for less than a nice walnut or oak.

To further answer what I think you are asking, the veneers are of the wood species identified, i.e. oak is a real oak veneer and walnut is a real walnut veneer, they are not the same they are different species of wood.

i've seen a few different speakers that have been painted, have to say everyone of them just didn't look as nice. If it was me I wouldn't paint them.

I agree! Be patient and get the speakers stock.

You will be glad you did.......

Take care:

Mike

I have to say I agree with the others, paint if you must but be aware that you will lower the value by A LOT if you had nice natural wood to start with. As was said though, if the natural wood is in very bad shape, you could paint them without affecting the value by much because with a nasty wood finish, the value would be reduced to start with.

It is your choice but I would not paint a nice set of speakers just to get them black. Either buy some junkers and refinish them or wait until a set of black finish speakers come along.

The only way I'd paint is if the original veneer was beyond restoration.

The previous poster was correct in that oak (or walnut) finish is the real deal, not merely stain on generic ply.

I go out of my way (and will pay a premium) for Oiled Walnut Klipsch. And if I ever find a set of KLF30s in Mahagony, I'll just have to go hold up a few mini-marts. Gotta have em!