Ideas on how to hang amps from ceiling? (looking for)

Coytee

I'm framing in a closet space that will be where all my electronics are located. I don't yet know if I'll set something like my Crown K1's on a shelf above the Jubilees or, put them in this closet. If I put them in this closet then that's two more amps 'cluttering' up this space. It dawned on me, since they're rack mountable, I could hang them from the ceiling which would get them off the lower shelf/shelves and out of the way yet, still within reach.

So, if you were going to take maybe three K2's or any other rack mountable device (I might sling my two Dx38's up there with them) how might you mount from the ceiling and what would you use? Is there anything already made specifically for this?

I'm framing things in now so I've got full access to the joists above. Off the cuff, I'm thinking about some kind of angle iron however, that seems to be so "attractive" [+o(] Then again, maybe there is decorative angle iron. What I'm envisioning is mounting something like that above the joists so I have good support however, only leave a stub of it showing through the drywall so it will be out of the way if I never use it. If I decide to use it I can simply attach the extenion to the stubs and have at it.

Any ideas?

I was also going to suggest a rack. A typical computer rack is made of aluminum and normally they aren't painted (not too unattractive). You cound put a support between two joists (2 x 10?) and sheetrock over it. If later you wanted to hang it from the ceiling, the wood support would already be there. They make short racks besides the nornal 7 feet tall ones.

Just a thought, how about constructing a unit from plywood and threaded rod supported from your angle iron. or hang it using eye hooks. That way if your not using it, it can be removed easily.

I was going to say the same thing. Someone has their TT mounted this way, I will try and look for the pictures.

James

Here is the thread, a few posts down is the picture. You can do something like that or even use chain, if the wife doesn't like the look you can use a piece of pvc and paint it to cover up the wire or chain.

Coytee,

I'm not sure how big your closet is going to be but I recommend you leave yourself as much flexibility as possible. Systems change over time. Can you just put in shelving and stack the shelving all the way to the ceiling? I wouldn't even suggest a tall rack mount, it's a pain to be stuck with rack mountable gear as an only option. Just a big tall shelf with adjustable spacing (or at least generous spacing).

Russ: I've been gone all day & don't remember the measurements... let's use 30x30 for general kicks & laughs.

I have indeed, thought about inserting a slide out rack, then decided I didn't want to spend that much. I'm actually WANTING to put my XLR input amps on the other side of the room but.... WAF issues are forcing me to keep a plan B in the back of my head. If they indeed go on the other side of the room, then I won't need this rack at all. I'll be able to simply stack everything on top of each other like I already have it. (CD, DVD, Peach & DTV box in one stack)

When I add in the two Crowns, (will need third), two Dx38's then all the sudden the size of this stack literally doubles and it looks very odd with various sizes of components. Additionally, with the K2's being convection cooled, I need to get some air gaps between them so they can breath. This is what brought up the thought in me to suspend them. Gets them away from the other things and I can add a rack space between them.

Maybe I should just get one of those fancy new fangled type HT's where you simply plug in a single color coded cord....

Anyone want to swap me a Bose HT system for all this junk?

[;)]

Look at wire shelving from an office supplier (ULine, Global, etc.). The shelves are adjustable in 1 inch increments and you can get various widths/depths/heights. We have a bunch of them in our mail room at work. They hold a lot of weight and don't collect dust.

Something like this:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2405/Shelving-Racks/24-x-18-x-54-Adjustable-Open-Wire-Shelving-Unit

Bruce