Cornscala Test Cabinet Build

Pete H

I've started to build the first set of boxes (3) that will be used to final design a set of Cornscala's. Here's the basics regarding the build;

1. Bass box will be built with a removable front and back panel as I will be testing front port vs. rear port, shelf port vs round flared port. I will test the original K34e vs the CW1526C as well as other 15" woofers. Interior cabinet volume will be kept extremely close to my Cornwall 2's. The 15 will be raised up in the cabinet (more like the Cornwall 3's)
  2. Mid box will be built with Dave's fastrac horn and Atlas PD 5VH and will also have a removable back and be built to accept a larger horn.
  3. Tweter box will be built to accept various drivers starting with the Beyma CP25.
  4. Dean is building the crossover network based on my original selection of drivers.

I am keeping one of the Corwall 2's original so that I can do A/B listening tests. I also want to use the original to test individual alterations, such as the mid horn with the original cabinet, the K34 and K79 or testing the Beyma with the other 2 original components. I will post pictures later today, but this is the overview of what I'm doing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete, thank you for this thread. I would like to build three cornscala's before the year is up. I have always wondered how the wood horn was mounted. I'll have alot of dumb questions and hope you or someone will take the time to answer them.

I'm real interested so thanks again.

Looks great! I guess your finished with your workshop facelift.

Won't look great until I get these done and tested to make any final modifications to what will be the final pair. The bass box will probably remain as a test cabinet as I'm thinking about putting guides on the inside to be able to adjust the interior volume on the fly in .5 cu' increments. Workshop isn't quite finished, but I needed to get one cabinet set done as I have all the components except for the crossover and the tweeters, and the Beyma's should be here by the end of the week and Dean is waiting on a couple of parts.

Are you going to make an adjustable port also?

Yes, I am. The shelf for the front port will just screw down so that different shelf lengths can be used and the exit ports can be closed down by attaching different pieces to the front. I'll be able to adjust the rear ports by just having various lengths of pipe for the ends.

Pete, thank you for this thread. I would like to build three cornscala's before the year is up. I have always wondered how the wood horn was mounted. I'll have a lot of dumb questions and hope you or someone will take the time to answer them.

I'm real interested so thanks again. There are tons of people on this forum that have mounted many more horns than I, so I'm sure you will get a lot of advice and various methods to attack it. Keep in mind that some of the things I will be doing on this first set is because it's a test and wouldn't necessarily be the method I will use when I build the final set.

post-34280-13819555658656_thumb.jpg

post-34280-13819582525104_thumb.jpg

awesome project.

Thanks! I just want to have some fun with this one and play with some ideas and see where it goes. Where I'm going to need a lot of help from members is in regards to testing. I need suggestions on the proper software and testing equipment (without getting ultra expensive) as I really want to see what's happening with the changes.

post-34280-13819555660116_thumb.jpg

post-34280-13819582525824_thumb.jpg