SET 45 Amps

jcmusic

you right jay

on the end of the day the price is what really matters

and a diff.s as you said are minimal ,even not possible to

spot on more of the spkrs ;-D

Plus you can always tune it swapping a few prts and changing original voicing ,if you like

Enjoy your amp mate - I am still in 45 KIngdom and I am happy with it .

Gregdee

I agree with most of what you said.

Jay

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE : [do you know anything about the Yamamoto 45 ?]

With yammy ,just let you know ,the best progress I achived till now was simple swaping rectifier tube soccket to the universal one ,which yamamoto dreated and is offering for about 60$ ,not so cheap maybe ,but it is really worth . It allow you to use 80 family in the same time with all nos telefunkens

(choice deppennds on bridging resistance )which are faboulous ,amazing and undervaluated valves- which still cost nothing to get them - thanks god ;-)

This socket is a good point if you use tube rectified welbornes too ,by the way ,you can swap between 4V and 5V powered valves endless- all mine are ss rectified ,as I prefer the sound of up circuit with ss.

Hi Gregdee,

I've also got a Yamamoto A-08S, and have one of these rectifier sockets (UX4-UB4) - but I have not installed it yet as I have not yet sourced any RGN rectifiers. If you don't mind, could you let me know which rectifiers you have tried and which you had good results with. I started looking at 1064 mesh plates but they were quite expensive, are there cheaper options that sound just as good? PM me if like.

Thanks,

Damian

hi Damian

sorry for a delay .

was trying it with TELEFUNKEN RGN 1064 and with RGN 2004.

both were much better than standard 80 for my ears .both had a different sonic signature too.

1064 has smaller voltage than 2004 ,so its charecter was lighter with not so many bass in ,but it was a massive bass if compared to 80 ;-)

it did not make a big difference to me when I used yammy just for hf's ,

but if it was covering whole range 2004 was definitelly a choice to keep.( you need to swap resistors for them )

they are are both very transparent and holographic valves - bringing unbelivalable ammount of air into the music.

Also with special adapter from octals to ux-4 I tried both mullard rectifiers .

GZ 34 and GZ 37. 1st had a lovely synergy with EL valves .

2nd was even better but it was drowing to much from ps as it is not designed for such a power

and it was getting really hot so I removed it to avoid any damage .

Also replacing yamamoto caps with Vcaps CUTF put this great amp two levels higher ,but they are a pain to burn

you gonna suffer with damp of the sound 1st month and waiting next 4 for full opening ,but they are worth every penny .

when you put originals back after half year you won't be able to handle them more than a day I believe.

good luck with your tweaks mate .

about valves - you need to look for them on europen market - they are much cheaper here .

I paid 30 bucks for 1064 on flea bay ,and about 70 for 2004 if I remember well .

You just need to be a bit patient and you will find your chance ,I am sure that .

Greg, Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on eBay but it looks like telefunkens have gone up a "bit" since you bought yours. Have you tried any of the EML rectifiers? Jac recommended the 5Z3 mesh, but I see they have also just released an 80 mesh rectifier (this week). Thanks for the tip re CUTF, I have been thinking about trying Jupiter HT or AmpOhm copper film in this location, so thats another option. Have you also experimented with the cathode bypass on the 717A ? if so, any good results? Thanks, Damian. (apologies about lack of formatting, must be an issue with my browser)

Jay

have you got globes by the chance ?!?

I am pretty courious to hear some opinion about them ;-)

will be l;ooking forward

enjoy

greg

Hi Greg,

I just realized you were talking about the EML 45 Globes right? No I don't have those, I have the ST type solid plates. I wouldn't mind trying the globes for sure.

Jay

hallo Damian

sorry for delay

I've seen EML 80 rect's ,but never tried them

I believe they must be same significiant as just 274 were in my previous amp - they are really good rectifiers.

Cathode bypas is a great solution too and works with yammy same good as with welbornes DRD's

however on welbs you can easier spot it as a simplicity of circuit ,I believe ,makes it more transparent ;-D

Personally I did not like jupiters as they were a bit bleary for me .I like amp ohms a lot .I did not tried them with yammy - not enough space :-D

but I loved what they did bypassing output caps in my dac and used in xovers - specially there they were really shining.

hear you soon mate

g

Yes Jay

That's what I intended to ask about ;-D

I like old globes too ,but for different qualities - particularry incredibly relaxing midrange

but as always with old valves they are not so exdended .

Yes ,I am looking some infos about ,as it seems too be quite different valve ,

not just a jubellee glass shape .

If you will take a deeper look you will spot that an internal design is different than corn EML and also different from VAIC 45 solid plates .

Hope so ,soon somebody spot some light on :-D

txs

g

txs Jay

I heard nothing till now from a any real mate yet.

Formal reviews I am treating obviously as an add.

Specially with this price tag.

I am not suppose to get them for ,so need to look for my s/h chance to try :-)

or maybe will be able to try some borrowed ones - will see !!!

Hear you soon mate

txs for an answer

el grego

• 4 weeks later...

I still haven't seen any reviews of the new EML globes either... canyonman did you end up ordering a pair?

gregdee, I've been following prices of 1064 and 2004 on fleabay since your earlier post, and based on the crazy money 2004 mesh tubes have been going for I have decided to go with 1064, so have ordered a couple of mesh (valvo and loewe) and a pair of cheaper miniwatt solid plates (for testing). I'll let you know my impressions when I get them and make the mods.

I've also sources some Elna Silmic II caps to replace the cathode bypass caps on the input stage, and a jensen 4 pole (220uF) to replace the cheap 100uF electro in the power supply. I'll let you know the outcome, I'm hoping the bigger (and better quality) 220uF will improve the bass a little, I've read the A-08 was a lot better than the A-08S in this respect, mainly due to the extra capacitance in the PS (and partly the bigger rectifier).

I still haven't seen any reviews of the new EML globes either... canyonman did you end up ordering a pair?

gregdee, I've been following prices of 1064 and 2004 on fleabay since your earlier post, and based on the crazy money 2004 mesh tubes have been going for I have decided to go with 1064, so have ordered a couple of mesh (valvo and loewe) and a pair of cheaper miniwatt solid plates (for testing). I'll let you know my impressions when I get them and make the mods.

I've also sources some Elna Silmic II caps to replace the cathode bypass caps on the input stage, and a jensen 4 pole (220uF) to replace the cheap 100uF electro in the power supply. I'll let you know the outcome, I'm hoping the bigger (and better quality) 220uF will improve the bass a little, I've read the A-08 was a lot better than the A-08S in this respect, mainly due to the extra capacitance in the PS (and partly the bigger rectifier).

No I am still on the fence, right now the solid plates are sounding so good that I don't really want to change anything.

Jay