SET 45 Amps

jcmusic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut -Throat which rectifier are you using in your 45 amp? Have you ever tried rolling them?

Jay

I have the Welborne Starchiefs.

The Welborne StarChief 45 Monoblocks were only made S.S. Rectified. These were the top of the line 45 Amps by Welborne. Ron Welborne explained that the S.S. Rectified were so far superior to the Tube Rectified versions, that he did not offer a tube rectified version when he completed the design. So I only have 2 tubes in each Monoblock. The 45 Power tube and a 6N1P Driver.

The DRD45s had a tube rectified version however. Ron still preferred the sound of the SS rectified version however, and said so, even though the tube rectifed version cost more.

Ok what about rolling the 45's? You ever tried the EML solid plates?

Jay

Yup, the EML's hummed like a banshee in my amps. Sent them back. A lot of folks say that while they may be a good tube, it isn't a 45 tube at all. The Specs are not even close! -- Other amplifer designers say that unless your amp is designed to handle the EMLs, it won't work. Others rave about them. Others say that they turn your 45 amp into a 2A3. This topic has been beaten to death on the Audio Asylum SET forum. Do a search over there for a days worth of reading.

I own TJ Meshplates and 45 Globesand ST types. They all sound wonderful. But I confess that the old Black Plate 45 Globes look the coolest in the amp. Luckily I bought a stash of the 45 Globes years ago when they were a lot cheaper than today.

And as I had said in a previous post in this very thread.

I can say that I love every 45 tube that I have ever tried. And
every 45 tube I have tried, I prefer more than any 2A3 or 300B tube I
have tried.

What I am saying, is that I don't find a huge amount
of difference between various 45 tubes. I have quite a stash of 45
tubes, and plugging and unplugging them to listen to various music
passages is a time comsuming and tedious process. And is also a process
that I don't quite trust myself with; in that it can be quite
subjective. With that said the RCA Globe 45s that I have plugged in
currently sound superb. I also like the fact that they are from the
1930s and look very cool with their Globe Shape.

Whether they
sound better or worse than the TJ Meshplates from current day
production, the nuances of the sound differences are small enough that I
should not comment. The differences in sound between SS amps and Push
Pull amps, and SET amps (2A3 vs. 45 ) are obvious to me. The differences
between tubes are not. Except for the fact that I beleive that Old
Stock tubes are more robust and may last longer than new production.

So
no golden ear comments from me on Tube brands, Let alone Capacitor
brands. And when you get to interconnect and speaker wires that are all
made with copper with different colored sheathings - You can pretty much
forget asking me!

Ok what about rolling the 45's? You ever tried the EML solid plates?

Jay

Yup, the EML's hummed like a banshee in my amps. Sent them back. A lot of folks say that while they may be a good tube, it isn't a 45 tube at all. The Specs are not even close! -- Other amplifer designers say that unless your amp is designed to handle the EMLs, it won't work. Others rave about them. Others say that they turn your 45 amp into a 2A3. This topic has been beaten to death on the Audio Asylum SET forum. Do a search over there for a days worth of reading.

I own TJ Meshplates and 45 Globesand ST types. They all sound wonderful. But I confess that the old Black Plate 45 Globes look the coolest in the amp. Luckily I bought a stash of the 45 Globes years ago when they were a lot cheaper than today.

And as I had said in a previous post in this very thread.

I can say that I love every 45 tube that I have ever tried. And every 45 tube I have tried, I prefer more than any 2A3 or 300B tube I have tried.

What I am saying, is that I don't find a huge amount of difference between various 45 tubes. I have quite a stash of 45 tubes, and plugging and unplugging them to listen to various music passages is a time comsuming and tedious process. And is also a process that I don't quite trust myself with; in that it can be quite subjective. With that said the RCA Globe 45s that I have plugged in currently sound superb. I also like the fact that they are from the 1930s and look very cool with their Globe Shape.

Whether they sound better or worse than the TJ Meshplates from current day production, the nuances of the sound differences are small enough that I should not comment. The differences in sound between SS amps and Push Pull amps, and SET amps (2A3 vs. 45 ) are obvious to me. The differences between tubes are not. Except for the fact that I beleive that Old Stock tubes are more robust and may last longer than new production.

So no golden ear comments from me on Tube brands, Let alone Capacitor brands. And when you get to interconnect and speaker wires that are all made with copper with different colored sheathings - You can pretty much forget asking me!

Well I have a couple pair of the old stock RCA's ST's and the Globe shaped, they both sound good to me just looking to improve the sound if I can. Everything I have read about the EML's has been positive and most of what I read said they are in a class all alone!!!

Jay

I used a pr of EML solid plates in a Korneff 45SE amp for years and while they didn't have that 'air' that most 45s offer, they did add some punch in the bottom end. They are closer to 2A3 than say, the globe 45 but still a good-sounding tube and sound more like a 45 than 2A3. I would recommend them if you want to use the 45 amp to power Khorns at higher volumes.

Another trick is to bi-wire and run the wire to the woofers through an autoformer like Paul Speltz offers. This will allow you to change the impedance to the woofers and..."are used to multiply the impedance of any speaker so that it "feels" like the optimum load for the amplifier being used. They are very helpful in matching speakers to amplifiers. By adjusting the speaker's impedance, both the damping factor and the maximum power transfer of the amp/speaker can be tailored for the best sound." Noise never was an issue with the Korneff 45SE - its a very quiet amp.

I used a pr of EML solid plates in a Korneff 45SE amp for years and while they didn't have that 'air' that most 45s offer, they did add some punch in the bottom end. They are closer to 2A3 than say, the globe 45 but still a good-sounding tube and sound more like a 45 than 2A3. I would recommend them if you want to use the 45 amp to power Khorns at higher volumes.

Another trick is to bi-wire and run the wire to the woofers through an autoformer like Paul Speltz offers. This will allow you to change the impedance to the woofers and..."are used to multiply the impedance of any speaker so that it "feels" like the optimum load for the amplifier being used. They are very helpful in matching speakers to amplifiers. By adjusting the speaker's impedance, both the damping factor and the maximum power transfer of the amp/speaker can be tailored for the best sound." Noise never was an issue with the Korneff 45SE - its a very quiet amp.

JBryan,

Well as for more volume I guess a little more headroom wouldn't hurt but, it really isn't needed. My system has more than enough gain as is I just want to try the tubes as all the reading I have done on them is very positive!!!

Jay

Well as for more volume I guess a little more headroom wouldn't hurt but, it really isn't needed. My system has more than enough gain as is I just want to try the tubes as all the reading I have done on them is very positive!!!

Jay

There are a lot of postive reviews of the EML. But, there are a few reviews from people that I trust, that claim that you lose some of the 45 'magic' when going to the EMLs and that your 45 amp becomes 'more like a 2A3 amp. - So, if you like the sound of the 45, my advice would be to stick to some 45 Old Stock tubes.Especially if you don't need the power. A lot of people are 'impressed' with the extra power, and not notice what they might be giving up in terms of the '45 sound'.

Like I said earlier, I could not even evaluate the EMLs in my Amps, because they simply would not work! - Dennis Fraker of Serious Stereo claims that unless your 45 amp is designed for an EML tube - Don't use it! (This statement alone tells me that the EML is NOT a 45 Tube at all - which is what a lot of folks maintain on the SET forum)

There are plenty of Old stock 45 tubes around currently at a reasonable price. And they don't have to be NOS, there are lots of great used tubes out there-- This probably won't be true 10 years from now, so you'll probably kick yourself if you don't get a few now. My tube stash has done far better than any stock I've owned in the last 10 years!

Jay

There are a lot of postive reviews of the EML. But, there are a few reviews from people that I trust, that claim that you lose some of the 45 'magic' when going to the EMLs and that your 45 amp becomes 'more like a 2A3 amp. - So, if you like the sound of the 45, my advice would be to stick to some 45 Old Stock tubes.Especially if you don't need the power. A lot of people are 'impressed' with the extra power, and not notice what they might be giving up in terms of the '45 sound'.

Like I said earlier, I could not even evaluate the EMLs in my Amps, because they simply would not work! - Dennis Fraker of Serious Stereo claims that unless your 45 amp is designed for an EML tube - Don't use it! (This statement alone tells me that the EML is NOT a 45 Tube at all - which is what a lot of folks maintain on the SET forum)

There are plenty of Old stock 45 tubes around currently at a reasonable price. And they don't have to be NOS, there are lots of great used tubes out there-- This probably won't be true 10 years from now, so you'll probably kick yourself if you don't get a few now. My tube stash has done far better than any stock I've owned in the last 10 years!

Cut-Throat,

It becomes more and more abvious that you don't care for the tubes because you had a bad expirence with them, and I understand that fully. I have a couple pair of vintage 45's and do enjoy them but, at the same time it will not hurt me to try the EML tubes. I am getting a great deal from a friend a pair he has, so it's just going to be a little of my time to determine if they will work for me in my system. If they do great if they don't I will sell them and have really lost nothing except some time. Who knows they may sound really good in my system, all systems have their own flare and no two are exactly alike.

I realize we have similar speakers and amps but, as you also stated your amps run on SS rectification mine don't. There is a big difference right there, also I have been rolling rectifiers and have learned quite a bit about how this one and that one changes the sound of my amp. With that said I have already sent my friend the cash for the tubes, so I will give them a chance and see what happends. Who knows you may have had a bad pair.

Jay

It becomes more and more abvious that you don't care for the tubes because you had a bad expirence with them

You need to re-read my post. You asked for my advice and I gave it to you.

JBryan said this "I used a pr of EML solid plates in a Korneff 45SE amp for years and
while they didn't have that 'air' that most 45s offer, they did add some
punch in the bottom end. They are closer to 2A3 than say, the globe 45"

Which is pretty much what I have heard from other reviewers. Like I said,the EMLs will NOT work in my amp, so I did not get to evaluate it.

It becomes more and more abvious that you don't care for the tubes because you had a bad expirence with them

You need to re-read my post. You asked for my advice and I gave it to you.

JBryan said this "I used a pr of EML solid plates in a Korneff 45SE amp for years and while they didn't have that 'air' that most 45s offer, they did add some punch in the bottom end. They are closer to 2A3 than say, the globe 45"

Which is pretty much what I have heard from other reviewers. Like I said,the EMLs will NOT work in my amp, so I did not get to evaluate it.

Ok I stand corrected but, it just seems like you are kinda negitive about them. Maybe it's just the way I interperted it my mistake sorry, I just don't recall you saying anything positive about them. No matter it's all good I did ask for your advice and I appreciate you taking time to give it, thanks.

Jay

Jay,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the amp. I enjoyed it as well, but just prefer a little more power and headroom that the VRD's provide. I apologize about not responding earlier, but I have been out of town for 5 or 6 days.

Kevin, I saw your PM as well, and will respond to it as soon as I can.

Mike

...but just prefer a little more power and headroom that the VRD's provide

That's really funny, Mike. "a little more power and headroom..." Yup, just a little. Big Smile

Bruce

LOL!!! Yea just a little more (58.5 more watts) to be exact!!! LOL!!!

Jay

RE : [do you know anything about the Yamamoto 45 ?]

hi Jeff

I have Yammy and DRD 45 ,one of my friends have Starchiefs .

AS it come the Yammy is the best of the bunch with no dupt.

However ,welborne amps when recaped ,resistance upgraded and wit quality connectors

are able to get better - specially Starchiefs ,which due to better PS have this extra flawless.

In the s/h asking price - specialli in states -Yammy would be my first choice - again .

I did not weaked it yet ,but after recaping welbornes with V-caps CU CF they gone so further

there is no way I won't do that with yammy just to check it out .

Welborne's advantage is that it is very simple and transparent circuit - very easy to experiment with .

What you put in - you will get on the end ,as it really depends just on few parts - always get the best then.

With yammy ,just let you know ,the best progress I achived till now was simple swaping rectifier tube soccket to the universal one ,which yamamoto dreated and is offering for about 60$ ,not so cheap maybe ,but it is really worth . It allow you to use 80 family in the same time with all nos telefunkens

(choice deppennds on bridging resistance )which are faboulous ,amazing and undervaluated valves- which still cost nothing to get them - thanks god ;-)

This socket is a good point if you use tube rectified welbornes too ,by the way ,you can swap between 4V and 5V powered valves endless- all mine are ss rectified ,as I prefer the sound of up circuit with ss.

Hope that it helped a little with your dilema .Can't help with Korneff however - never heard one .

Take care mate

any questions .just ask :-)

If you are talking to me, the answer is I spoke to a friend who has both the Korneff 45 and the Yammy 45. He said the difference would be like splitting hairs, they are both great amps and he would be happy with either one. I got the Korneff because another friend made me a good deal!!! (Thanks Mike)

Jay

you right jay

on the end of the day the price is what really matters

and a diff.s as you said are minimal ,even not possible to

spot on more of the spkrs ;-D

Plus you can always tune it swapping a few prts and changing original voicing ,if you like

Enjoy your amp mate - I am still in 45 KIngdom and I am happy with it .

Jay,

I'm so glad you are enjoying the amp... just as Winchester is enjoying the VRD's I sold him. I would have been crushed if you didn't like the amp. I love this hobby, and I love this Forum. Beer

Mike

Mike,

I have enjoyed the limited time I have had with it so far, I have only listened to it for a week then I had to return to work for two weeks. I will be off for another week day after tomorrow, so I will get some more time with it.

Jay