Amplifier and rs-62 (2 questions)

BluBitRates

Okay it has come time to seek advice from you knowledgeable people again.

Question one: I am selling my secondary audio system to my parents, The speakers are 4 ohm speakers and are 200wpc rms. I have an older sony str-69gx receiver from 1992 which is a solid receiver (build wise) and was $600 at the time. There is a little white noise coming from the speakers and also i do not like the sound the receiver produces so i am looking for a solution. Would i be wise just to add a 2 channel amp to the receiver (it has preouts) and use the receiver as my pre/pro or will i risk still getting white noise and that sound i do not like?

Question two: I am looking at maybe getting some rs-62s in the future, would these match okay with my rf-82s? I plan on getting the rc-64 when i find one too. Also i do not have parallel places to mount the speakers, it would be a little easier if i mounted them above a window near the ceiling, would it not be recommended to have them mounted so high?

Thanks for the input guys

• Moderators

I can attest that having your surrounds higher than a window (in my case a door) is not good unless you can angle them downward towards the listening position. As you can see in the photo below, I used to have a pair of RB-35's mounted high due to the door being in the way. Adding the RS-52's lower and on the sides were 100% better than having the RB-35's mounted where they were.

Back_Wall_small.jpg

yes, i was wondering with the wide dispersion of the rs-62s whether it was okay to mount them high but i guess i can find a way to mount them lower. Would the rs-62s be okay with my rf-82s timbre wise? Also i really need some input on my other question about a amp, 4 ohm 200rms speakers make this difficult

There is a good chance that the Sony is not compatible with a 4 ohm load. An external amp could solve the problem but if your parents are anything like mine, too many boxes-all that stuff. Maybe shop for a used 4 ohm compatible receiver.

Selling to your parents?

Charity starts at home!

The sony does handle a 4 ohm load. Okay yes i have figured out that i am going to want a newer stereo receiver over an amp. They are buying me at under half of what the stuff is worth, if i didnt get anything for them then the rs-62s wouldnt even have entered my mind. They are buying my audio rack so boxes arent a problem. By the way are they timbre enough for my rf-82s!?!?!

• Moderators

So these are going to be okay with my rf-82s?!?!?! No one has really commented yet.

Nope, they aren't a good match for your RF-82's. Just isn't going to sound good. They really aren't that great of a speaker anyways.

They are really quite a bit more than i wanted or needed but they are what i found.

Definitely overkill and more than you need for your setup.

The simplest solution would be to sell them to me for $250, They would match perfectly with my setup. [:D] LOL.

Ok, just kidding around. I think you will be fine. The RS-52's are great speakers and work very well as side surrounds. From my understanding, they are pretty big speakers for side surrounds. Once you get them installed, if you don't like them in your setup, let me know. [;)]

I run the RF-82' up front & the RC-64 center & the RS-62's in the rear and it is amazing, They all blend very well , just alittle tweeking & you'll be very happy , I have mine mounted 18 inches from the celling and they sound good , to me of course,,, You won't be disapointed..