La Scala Rebuild

sootshe

As you will know I recently completed a set of LS clones and I now find I have a problem with them. It appears that I have been supplied some faulty ply that is bleeding black sections through to the surface. I also notice that I have a resonance that I believe is coming from the bass bin around 300-1000Hz (educated guess without any test equipment), although I can feel some vibration from the inside of the back panel & from the front of the side panels forward of the brace. This reveals itself as an annoying resonance in the upper bass, lower mids on bass guitar, electric guitar particularly, and piano..............

The plan is to kill two birds with one stone and apply an additional 3/4 inch layer of ply to both sides and the rear and reveneer all surfaces..........

I've also been experimenting with placement of the mid and tweeter horns. I've found that the Trachorn sounds better when just free standing on top of the bass bin & the tweeter is mounted to a baffle. I've used sound absorbing foam around the tweeter baffle. I have also timed aligned the mid and tweeter to a certain degree by setting them back from the front edge....so the mid is back from the bass bin and the tweeter is back from the mid horn........going to apply the 3/4 ply with a product called "Green Glue" which is a sound absorbing, deadening adhesive & screw to the existing panels.....should be interesting.

Excuse the running writing as my paragraphing doesn't seem to retain itself.......will take a few weeks to get the ball rolling, but will post pics when construction is underway.

post-32839-13819582953798_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excuse my ignorance but what is the bottom section, a bass bin, ports?

You are correct those are ports. They are part of a Bass Reflex modification for the La Scalas originally by DJK i believe. You should be able to find some info on it through the search if not, shoot me a PM and I can send you an email Bruce (Marvel) sent me about a year ago.

Daniel

was the consensus to use a 7" or 10" pipe and was their benefits to tapering? finally, do you have to take the bottom off of the La Scala and then sit the LS on the Bass Reflex mod? Thanks so much!!

The consensus was that 7" was the best compromise....apparrently 10" lost some of the impact from the bass. The ports on my bin aren't tapered.....just 4" diam X 7" long......yes, just take the bottom panel off the LS bass bin......put some sealing tape on the bass reflex cab & sit the bass bin on top........find some technical info attached.

La Scala Bass Reflex Mod.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got started on the refinishing of the LS. I'm going to put an additional layer of 3/4 ply on both sides & the rear & then veneer & trim the whole cabinet. Before I put the extra 3/4 ply on I thought I'd make doubly sure that the original cabinet is held together firmly & so have put additional screws around the whole perimeter.

post-32839-1381958386424_thumb.jpg

Beacause these cabs will now be 1 & 1/2 inches wider & 3/4 inch deeper I also have to apply the same to the bass reflex cabs. These are going to be one heck of a solid cabinet. Soot is overseeing everything! Thats all for today....will start on the glueing & screwing on of the new panels tomorrow.

post-32839-1381958386582_thumb.jpg