RC-35 vs. RC-62

mbr311

I currently am running an RC-35 as my center channel mated with RB-35s as my mains, S-1s as surrounds and a RW-10d sub. Someone is selling a mint RC-62 on this site for $300. I checked e-bay and a used RC-35 just sold for $270 plus shipping. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the RC-62 or are the differences so minute that I should just concentrate on something like an amp to drive my speakers? It would almsot be a wash if I could get $275 for my RC-35 on ebay...shoot that's how I got the RC-35 in the first place, bought it and sold my RC-10 and came out even. From what I've read the RC-62 replaced the RC-35 and the main difference seems to be that the RC-35 can handle 125 watts (500 peak) and the RC-62 can handle 150 watts (500 peak). Considering that I have a Yamaha RX-V665 that is only putting out 90w per channel (if that) is this even worth it or like I said should I concentrate on getting something like an amp? Thanks guys you have always been extremely helpful!

Mark

I just PM'ed you and didn't see this response. Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense, I think I have a better idea of how I need to deal with this project, i.e., what I should do next. Doo have a question though, would an RC-64 or RC-7 overpower my mains? I have looked at the specs of the RC-64 and that this is RIDICULOUS I would love to have it but I wonder if it would just straight overpower my RB-35s. Anyway, I love this forum you guys/gals (don't know if there are girls on here) are so helpful. It's nice to be on an internet forum like this. Thanks,

Mark

• Moderators

I can only verify the few forum members that I have met in person. For all we know, the rest might really be women in discuise. LOL. Actually, there are a few ladies I know that frequent the forums (Amy Unger and Dtel's Wife)

I just PM'ed you and didn't see this response. Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense, I think I have a better idea of how I need to deal with this project, i.e., what I should do next. Doo have a question though, would an RC-64 or RC-7 overpower my mains? I have looked at the specs of the RC-64 and that this is RIDICULOUS I would love to have it but I wonder if it would just straight overpower my RB-35s. Anyway, I love this forum you guys/gals (don't know if there are girls on here) are so helpful. It's nice to be on an internet forum like this. Thanks,

Mark

well, that would give you good reasons to upgrade your mains wouldn't it? [;)]

• Moderators

As I mentioned in my PM, you really need to stop, take a breath and figure out what you want your system to look like in the long road. I would rather save up some money and look for great buys and pick up major upgrades than buy, sell, buy a replacement only to gain little from the "upgrade". Just my 2 cents.

that's solid advise Youth.

i am on the same road. my final set up is going to be RF63/83 with RC-64. there had been several great deals such as Heresies, KGs, Fortes, RF3, RC3, RS3, RB61, etc. on my local CL. i'd passed them all, some REALLY CHEAP, because they weren't what i was looking for.

i know, being patient is a PAIN in the rear, but once i score what i wanted, it's gonna feel awesome.

• Moderators

there had been several great deals such as Heresies, KGs, Fortes, RF3, RC3, RS3, RB61, etc. on my local CL. i'd passed them all, some REALLY CHEAP, because they weren't what i was looking for.

That's what you've gotta do. You must remain focused at the end goal.

i know, being patient is a PAIN in the rear, but once i score what i wanted, it's gonna feel awesome.

Exactly. Learning to delay pleasure and sacrificing now so that you can have what you want later. That's called maturity. [:D]

As I mentioned in my PM, you really need to stop, take a breath and figure out what you want your system to look like in the long road. I would rather save up some money and look for great buys and pick up major upgrades than buy, sell, buy a replacement only to gain little from the "upgrade". Just my 2 cents.

And it's very sound advice and I will certainly take it to heart, I have an idea of what i want my end-system to look like - pretty much what you have in your sig to be quite frank. So its a matter of saving up, and trying to find deals on RF-83s and and an RC-64 I guess in the end. Thanks for setting me on the right path it is very much appreciated. I find when I really love things I sometimes get way ahead of myself. I saw the RC-62 and thought I could upgrade for minimal cost but in the end is it worth it if I really want an RC-64? No its not. Plus the truth of the matter is, with the way my family room is set up and its size what I have is PLENTY. So I would just be spending money just to spend money and that's dumb. So thanks,

Mark

• Moderators

I saw the RC-62 and thought I could upgrade for minimal cost but in the end is it worth it if I really want an RC-64? No its not.

You got it. If you truly want the RC-64, then save up some cash, continue to keep an eye out on Audiogon, Garage Sale etc and when the right deal comes along, jump on it. Same with the RF-83's or RF-63's.

the truth of the matter is, with the way my family room is set up and its size what I have is PLENTY. So I would just be spending money just to spend money and that's dumb.

So does that mean you do not want the RF-63 or RF-83's? If you are 100% satisfied, why upgrade? Remember, it's your ears that has to be pleased, not anyone here in the forums. You already have a better system than probably most people you know. Right?

In all fairness, I don't think the size of the speaker has to be proportional to the size of your room. Well, let me clarify that statement. If you have a huge room, bookshelf speakers probably will not give you the dynamics and the WOW factor. In a smaller room, bookshelf speakers sound really nice. But bigger speakers can also sound really good in even a smaller room. In the end, it's really up to you what you want and what you feel will truly satisfy you.

P.S....I'm getting close. [:D]

I saw the RC-62 and thought I could upgrade for minimal cost but in the end is it worth it if I really want an RC-64? No its not.

You got it. If you truly want the RC-64, then save up some cash, continue to keep an eye out on Audiogon, Garage Sale etc and when the right deal comes along, jump on it. Same with the RF-83's or RF-63's.

the truth of the matter is, with the way my family room is set up and its size what I have is PLENTY. So I would just be spending money just to spend money and that's dumb.

So does that mean you do not want the RF-63 or RF-83's? If you are 100% satisfied, why upgrade? Remember, it's your ears that has to be pleased, not anyone here in the forums. You already have a better system than probably most people you know. Right?

In all fairness, I don't think the size of the speaker has to be proportional to the size of your room. Well, let me clarify that statement. If you have a huge room, bookshelf speakers probably will not give you the dynamics and the WOW factor. In a smaller room, bookshelf speakers sound really nice. But bigger speakers can also sound really good in even a smaller room. In the end, it's really up to you what you want and what you feel will truly satisfy you.

P.S....I'm getting close. Big Smile

I'm not 100% satisfied but for the time being what I have does its job fine. I do not plan on living in the house I am living in for much longer than 2-3 years so at that point in time I would have a much larger family room and want the RF-83 and RC-64 let's say. If I could get them now for a decent price and it was the right time (like the finances were in order) I certainly don't think I would be making a mistake or making a purchase just to spend money. I would be working towards my end goal. But what I was trying ot say was that if things stayed the same for awhile it wouldn't be a big deal at all, I have a pretty good system (and you are righit is better than all but one of my friends that has a higher end Klipsch setup he's who got me into Klipsch) and the wow factor is pretty cool. Hope that makes sense. Like if I found the RF-83s for a great price I would probably jump on them, they certainly wouldn't be "bad" in my family room now that's for sure. Just that if I can't and it's not the right time there's no point in thinking I'm lacking, my setup is perfectly acceptable in the room right now. Hope that wasn't too confusing,

Mark

very solid advice from youth

find your ultimate goal and stage transitions towards it, if your goal is the 83s and a 64 when you sell the 35 get the 64 instead of the 62 otherwise you will just lose money and time on your transition, plus its a hastle to sell gear right now so id hate to sell twice as much as needed, at the same time you could be happy with a rc62 and get some rf82s they are great speakers as well, but i wouldnt keep the whatif factor around find out what it is you want...its a nasty bug btw you can find a used 64 around for 500-550 from time to time if you get 275 for the rc35...thats 225 for a 64 :o