replacing k55v with altec 290+311-60 or 803b

Guy Landau

Tom Brennan might know more, but I'd recommend using the 311-90 to cut down on beaming the midrange. Tom recommends using E-V SM-120 horns with the K-55-V for good effect. the SM-120 has a 120 degree dispersion angle. I'm looking for a pair of Altec 802s or 806s to go on 511Bs to pair with my La Scala bass horns. Older K-horns used a K-500-5000 crossover. I'd say yours could reach 500 Hz as well and the 511B is easier to find than a 311.

John

Guy,

All you need to do to use a different squawker driver is move the plugs to get the level you want. I have a table of settings worked out for 8 Ohm drivers but I haven't done a table for 4 ohm drivers. Just set them to the level you like. The transformer will convert the 4 Ohms up to match the 10 Ohm swamping resistor automatically. This was a surprise to me, but it will happen of the driver is neary the same efficiency as the K55.

Al K.

Thanks Al.

I've bought the 311-60 horns this morning new in their original 30 year old boxes.The guy that sold them to me has some n.o.s 803b & 1003b multicells as well.

I guess I'll be busy experimenting in the near future

and I'll keep you posted.

Will I get better results by changing the woofer cutoff point to 300hz ?

Thanks

Guy,

Changing the woffer crossover to 300 Hz will depend on if the squawker horn will go down to 300. It's gotta be mighty big horn to go that low!

With the 6 dB / octave slope in my network design the horns rule the crossover. The measured crossover of the network itself will even change with different woofer termination impedance. So, I think you could forget about changing the woofer / squawker crossover.

AL K.