Receiver choice

Maximo

Well I am finally fed up with my Sony 945 receiver so I am looking into a new one. I was looking at the denon 3802 or the pioneer elite vsx-36tx. I looked at the outlaw but I have heard that the s-video switching doesnt work right on them, I need that feature for sure because of all the inputs I have. I will prolly be 50-50 music and HT. Any other suggestions are welcome in the sub 1k range(ebay/online price range). The MAIN thing I want to be sure of it that it has no background electronics noise at decent volume(like hiss you can hear with no source but the volume turned up)

Thanks

Mike

Congratulations on the Sony irritation!!

I really do like my 3802 and give it a thumbs up. The problem is that I haven't tried all others. I did audition Onkyo and Yamaha and prefered the music with Denon with Yamaha a close second (what's the old line - If your music sounds great so will your HT?). S-video switching was good on all I looked at.

I have heard way too many good things about Outlaw to discount them, just couldn't audition without purchasing. A video switch is pretty cheap if that is a problem there.

I'd be surprised if you don't get innundated with SVS recommendations on the sub.

------------------

Hwatkins

Ahh sorry I wasn't clear I meant the < $1000 range for the reciever, using online/ebay pricing

The thing I really hated about this sony was that I could hear a hiss out of the 4638 I hooked up to it via a seperate amp. Unplugged all the sources from the receiver and hiss still there. Unplugged all speakers except the 4638 and hiss still there. Turn off receiver with power amp for the speaker box volume all the way up and guess what, no hiss at all. Also could hear little beeps when I changed tracks on dvds through the 4638. SO figured out that it had to be the receiver that was making all the noise.(Im runnig a monster hts-3600 for power conditioning too)

Yeah the outlaw looks decent, but is it better then the denon or pioneer elite as far as music goes. I think they are prolly all on par with HT.

btw does anyone own a parasound avr-1800, that was the way I was going to go, but read some bad reviews on it about poping when changing sources and a hum/buzz at certain db ranges in 5.1.

Thanks again

RF-3 II's

RC-3

RS-3s

Paradigm pw-2200

JBL 4638 powered by Parasound HCA-1000

Sony dvd

Monster Power 3600

gamecube/ps2

kenwood cd player

soon to be replaced sony str-de945

This message has been edited by Maximo on 03-22-2002 at 12:33 PM

Havent had alot of chances to compare, atm the 4638 hisses so much due to the sony output that I dont turn it up to loud levels.(well ok mabey once or twice) 4638 seems a lil less boomy but hard to say atm. When I get my new receiver I can tell ya though 8)

Maximo,

I have a 3802 and it hisses. The hiss isn't that loud, although I'm not running a sub (don't have one yet). I also notice that when changing the volume, there is sometimes a 'clicking' noise between volume settings, and I find it very annoying. Apart from these defects, I kind of like the Denon.

-PB

I've got a 4802 with the RF-3's and there is a hiss. Faint but a hiss. I have not started to search out what gives. I do know that part of it is the efficencies of the RF-3's. Never heard any noise with my original AVR-3000 with a set of original Bose 601's. But then again! I hope to be able to do a better noise/hiss check this weekend with no one home to complain that I have the volume turned up. I definately don't have a problem with the video switching, this was the reason I upgraded from the 3000 to the 4802. I got an exceptional price from the Goodguys of $1500(demo).

Well I really dont have a bad hiss through my fronts, its when I use the sub out to the parasound amp and then to the 4638s. I can turn the receiver volume all the way down and just turn up the parasound volume and I get a hiss. Thing is I turn off the receiver and hiss is gone. So I dunno

I bought the Yamaha RX-V2200. I chose it mainly because I wanted a Yamaha. I chose this particular one because it of the 6.1ES, Dolby PROLogic II, pre-amp outputs, and 60mhz component switching. The fronts are hooked up to a Carver M500t driving KLF-30's. The center is driving a KLF-C7, and for now I am using KSB1.1's for surrounds. I plan to use my Heresy's when I can get rid of some of the wifes useless furniture(just kidding). I plan to get a SVS 20-39cs+ in near future. I was planning to drive it with another M500t bridged. This should easily be able to drive the SVS until the pictures fall off the wall. For the record I get no hiss unless it was recorded on the CD.

This message has been edited by Michael Greenway on 03-29-2002 at 09:59 PM

I have a yamaha RX-V3000, which was reduced to about your price point. I just read another post indicating it can be had for 1/3 of its original price, which would be about $600. If you can find it new for that price, grab two!!!

The sound is fantastic, both for music and HT.

I cannot produce the 'hiss' that folks mention on the Denon 3802 in earlier threads. The configuration is (for the moment) Heresy mains and surround, Infinity sub (replacing soon) and rears with Acoustic Research center (becoming more and more a favorite).

I can get a hiss (shows up first on the center) when I push the volume to insane levels without an active source (for instance - Amp set to CD with no CD playing). If I truely was playing a source I would need to be a quarter of a mile away for health reasons. I definitely do not get the 'clicking' noise mentioned when adjusting volume.

Am I lucky or just missing something here?

------------------

Hwatkins

Now, what about this Denon AVR-1082? It's advertised as the same as the 3802 just a 'department store' model. Anybody have experience with this unit? I was thinking of the 3802 myself, but the 1082 can be had for less. Thoughts?

BTW - Currently using the AVR1701. Zero - I mean zero hiss.

------------------

Ed

Is the HISS from a bad ground or other, non-receiver problem?

My $300 Sony DOES hiss, but hey, it's $300...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Sounds like a good choice, let us know how it works out.

Hwatkins, sounds to me as if your lucky. There been quite a lot of discussion about the Denons being 'noisy'. It doesn't bother some people, but I find it a little annoying. I don't think I will upgrade in the future with another Denon. The new Aragon models sound exciting, can't wait to see if they will be available in Canada.

-PB