How can I determine model number (older in-wall)?

steve.yaeger

Just purchased a home built in 1994 that features Klipsch in-wall speakers in several rooms. Still sorting out the wiring (pvs owner was not using the system), but have run into one unit that's not working properly. The model # is not identified anywhere on the speaker. In order to proceed with finding a replacement or getting it repaired, I really need the model #.

Description: Simple passive 2-way. Markings on drive units as follows:

Woofer:

KLIPSCH

K1018S

MPW069325-2 / 9533

Crossover:

KLIPSCH

102A

Those are the only markings I can find. The house was built in 1994, but I do not know if the speakers were installed at that time.

The speaker produces very tinny sound (though both units do produce sound). Bumping or tapping the woofer triggers my amp's protection and it shuts down. Short somewhere?

Thanks to anyone who can help me find the model # of this unit or has any other advice.

Trey, it's hard to tell exactly what's "not working." Both drive units, woofer and tweeter, are producing sound. It's just substantially down in level and very "tinny." If I bump the unit while playing it stops and my amp's protection circuits shut it down. Visual inspection does not show any loose connections or obviously failed components. What is the next step to have the unit serviced or repaired?

BTW, these speakers sound terrific. This is my first experience with in-wall speakers (though not with Klipsch). Even with one bad unit I'm very, very impressed at the sound that's possible in my new living room.

• Klipsch Employees

Well, it sounds like you have a bad connection...a short when bumped.

you are making me remember things from 9 years ago...so bare with me.

that should have a network labled "102", and it should be a 2 way network with 2 parts on the woofer leg and 3 parts on the tweeter leg.

Try this. pull the speaker from the wall, disconnect the network and connect the speaker wire to the woofer only.

Start it playing and beat on it. If it does not stop playing then the network is where to look next. ( I am pretty sure its the network, but this test confirms its not the woofer. You can do the same to the tweeter, just don't turn it up much. (you dont want to hurt the tweter)

I don't think we have any parts for that speaker. You will need to do some work on the network if that is the bad part.

If you can use a solidering iron you should be able to fix it. If not, I am sure someone out there can help.