6.1 Surround with 6 Klipschorns?

Mister Horn

Anyone have thoughts on using 6 Klipschorns in a 6.1 home theatre? Front and rear channels would need to be false corners obviously. I know the Belle Klipsch has been used as a center channel but could the whole system be done with Klipschorns? Does anyone know of someone who has done this?

Thanks,

Mister Horn

Front and rear channels would need to be false corners obviously.

I assume you mean front and rear "center" channels but why not?If I had 2 good corners I would still have my KHorns, if you have 4 corners and the area needed GO FOR IT!

Surround speakers are really meant to go on the sides and not the back corners, so I don't know. Plus, the surrounds and rear get so little signal that KHorns are wasted there. Threeup front would be great!

I had thoughts of 2 Khorns in front and the rest LaScalas (I already had 2 Khorns and 3 LaScalas)

Roger in Indy has 7 LaScalas, does that count?

I think it could be done if you want. There is a guy who's contemplating at least a 5.1 type system using Jubilee's. I think he's thinking about 7 channel system but two of them would be cinema surrounds. Regardless, that would still sound pretty decent [8]

Good point...However I do not even have a room with 4 corners so I would need 6 false corners I believe. The room floor dimensions are 24 by 42 ft and the walls are arched corners (quonset style). This would give flexibility in aiming the horns. I have both flexibility and challenges ahead of me.[:)]

24x42 huh?

Well....then it's gotta be said.

I don't pretend to know your budget so don't slap me silly if this is budget stupid.

If you have the budget, I'd suggest you look into replacing the Klipschorn idea with Jubilee's. with the Jubilee's you won't need to have the false corner(s).

Where are you located? (you should fill in your profile). I'd suggest you put some serious effort into hearing a pair of Jubilee's and if perhaps you don't like them, great. The next thing I'd suggest you do is use LaScalas since they are much less room/corner dependent.

If you DO like the sound of the Jubilee's but don't have that kind of budget, you could still find some LaScala's, sell the mid/high horns in them and replace those with the same horn (or the smaller brother) used on the Jubilee and still end up with some seriously great sound. You would probably need a couple subwoofers though for maximum effect.

If you are near enough to attend the pilgrimage in Hope next month, I'm betting they'll have an audition of the Jubilee there. I've also suggested (requested?) they have a JubeScala setup so those can also be heard.

Otherwise, if you are anywhere near Knoxville, TN, you are more than welcome to hear what I've got.

Thanks for the reply Coytee. Sadly i am hopelessly committed and infatuated with Klipsch Legacy Series. I have owned and enjoyed Heresy II's,Chorus's, and of course my Klipschorn's. I have just purchased 2 more pair of Klipschorns and am trying to find a use for them. My thought is the 6.1 setup might be the way to go on the AV side of things. Sounds like I may need to audition the Jubilee's also since you recommend them so highly.

Another option may be 2 separate systems with a Klipschorn as the center channel for each system. I enjoy experimenting with different amps and preamps. I like the sweet sound of the Dynaco Stereo 70 at times and the ability and cleaness of the Hafler DH500 amps sound.

What are your thoughts on the 24 by 42 room? Do you see any possible issues with placing the Klipschorns in that kinda space?

Well, since you already have 6 Klipschorns to work with, that's another matter! All you need are false corners and have fun!

The center one will mean a high screen or an acoustically-transparent screen, but it will sound incredible!

Thanks Peter,

I see from your profile you are running 6.1 with Klipschorns mains, La Scala center and 3 Heresy II and a sub. I plan on using a Definitive Technologies 1500 powered sub too. I would love to hear your setup. I betcha it sounds great.

Sadly i am hopelessly committed and infatuated with Klipsch Legacy Series

Do you mean to say the Heritage series? (I'm not very familar with the Chorus speakers but the others are part of the in the Heritage family.

Just so you know..(presuming you mean Heritage), the Jubilee was originally intended to replace the Klipschorn and become the Klipschorn II. So, given that fact, I'd suggest that the Jubilee get an honorary place in the Heritage lineup.

Regarding your amps.... if you went 'balls to the wall' with Jubilee's, they are best when biamped (in my opinion, there are others who use passives on them). If you looked into that and went with an active you could put your ST-70's on the HF and some Haflers on the woofers. Of course, biamping 6 speakers means you need 12 channels of amplification.

I never said this was going to be easy nor cheap. You will however, be drop jawed at the sound.

Regarding the 42' dimension..... would that be the 'front' or would the 24 be the front? I would speculate that although Khorns or LaScalas would probably fill that better than other brands, the 42' dimension might be a little large with a big hole in the center. I'd wonder if that width would STILL sound odd because of it's size. I honestly don't know. Maybe someone else better educated on that stuff will chime in.

If you are using the 24' dimension as your front then I'd speculate you'd be ok on the width of the sound.

As an aside to all that above, if indeed, the 42' leg IS the front, then I'd again....urge you to go hear some Jubilee's. They are going to probably give you a better balanced sound on something that wide and be more capable of FILLING that space with tonally balanced sound.

My 2 cents. I do however, give a money back guarantee so if you spend the $500,000 that I'm trying to hook you into and don't like it, I'll give your two cents back.

[:P] [;)]

Where are you located?

I have just purchased 2 more pair of Klipschorns and am trying to find a use for them

I must admit I missed that part.

Cancel most of what I said as it would take a rare person indeed to buy something like that and then turn right around to sell it for their larger brother.

As Pete says, you got what you need. Give it a go and have fun!!

I thought you were starting from scratch.

Yes there is a forum member that is running a Klipschorn center with Klipschorn mains and Jensen Imperial rears with La Scala front and rear effects speakers. It can surely be done!

Q-Man is the forum member. He placed the Klipschorn bass bin in the horizontal position with a false wall and uses a larger multi-cell horn and JBL tweeter.

I ran 4 Klipschorn's, a La Scala and a pair Belle's at one point and it was nothing short of tremendous. Don't give up on the plan to make it happen.

Here is a link to Q-Man's Klipschorn center speaker project - his system powered with all Mac amps will surely dessimate any local theater.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/37189.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thanks Peter,

I see from your profile you are running 6.1 with Klipschorns mains, La Scala center and 3 Heresy II and a sub. I plan on using a Definitive Technologies 1500 powered sub too. I would love to hear your setup. I betcha it sounds great.

It does. The tonal match between the La Scala and Klipschorn is pretty seemless, as are the tremendous dynamics. I once used a Heresy II as center and, while good, it wasn't awesome. I think the best improvement came fom the dynamics rather than the tonal match. Klipschorns all around would be another notch above. Go for it.