new to 2 channel audio

cswep

hi everyone,just bought my first set of klipsch,forte II's,and they are the best ive ever heard. i have them hooked up to a marantz pm5003 integrated amp.Wanted some suggestions on an amp that would drive them to their full potential.The marantz sounds ok,but the guy i bought them from had them hooked up to a sansui 8080db and it sounded alot better.Wanted seperate power and pre,dont know where to start,college student so the more economical the better!!! help!!!!

Welcome to the forums, and congrats of the Fortes for they are amazing speakers.

I cant say much on your amp although I have an older Marantz 2238B that sounds great with my Fortes and my Marantz SR 5003 does a pretty good job with my Chorus speakers.

Wait a few minutes and someone will help more than I have.

Welcome Cswep! We're glad you're here and congratulations on the Forte II's! Welcome to the family!

Well, seeing as you're on a tight budget, why don't you check your local craigslist and see whats on there and come back and ask us what we think. There are some pretty good deals out there with this downed economy. Also check the "Garage Sale" section here and see whats available.

Dennie

Here is where you don't need to think big watts...think quality. Any amp can drive the forte II's, but a mediocre or poor amp will make itself known quickly.

The older stuff that will sound nice:

- Pre mid-80's sansui

- Luxman

- Classic Fisher (tube)

- Onkyo (integra or the older separates)

- Dynaco

- NAD

and many more.

Wanted seperate power and pre,dont know where to start,college student so the more economical the better!!! help!!!!

Cswep,

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to an Ebay ad. I almost bought this from the guy(Alex) when he had it on C-list. We spoke a couple of times. He emailed me these beautiful photos of the amp. I opted to get a sweet Onkyo Integra A-9711 integrated from a guy in Texas. Eighties Denon gear is of high quality and sounds really good powering the Forte's. I currently am running an 80's denon setup with my Forte's. If you want his email address, send me a PM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-PMA-750-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-MADE-JAPAN-/130390550304?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e5be1e720

Bill

I opted to get a sweet Onkyo Integra A-9711 integrated from a guy in Texas. Eighties Denon gear is of high quality and sounds really good powering the Forte's. I currently am running an 80's denon setup with my Forte's.

Bill

I remember the integra from the 80's as well as the sweet separates (M-108).

Onkyo_M-508_power_amp.JPG

I saw a 300 wpc champagne version for $3,000 in 1987.

onkyo-m-510%20gran%20integra-0_big_11102

I had a nice Denon integrated in 1988, and I really liked the POA separates.

Welcome. I had the Forte IIs for a very short while and turned them over to a guy that had lost them in a divorce,I loved them. Klipsch are great BUT they sound different when connected to different sources and amps, more so then any other speaker I have heard. My suggestion is to look around campus and find others that are into stereo and either invite them over for a beverage of choice or lug your speakers to them (your place better so you will know what your room sounds like). From there you can formulate your own opinion on what brand sounds best to your ears. Keep the same source, i.e. CD player and media so you can evaluate the components you are comparing.

Some people do not have a problem with going to the local big box store and buying, trying and returning. Some folks have an issue with that. If you were to go that route and can swing it, find a friendly music lover at the local BB, CC or whatever and buy several brands. Take them home and listen to each, return them later. If you are fortunate enough to have a REAL electronics dealers nearby tell them that you want to find the sound you like and work with them but don't screw'em becuase IF you have a local they can be your best buddies at this. Unfortunately, not many of these types store left.

I too had the mighty Onkyos of past and loved them but, while many of my buddies here on the forum really like them and continue to adore, I personally went a different way. I perfer the McIntosh SS sound over the Onkyo SS and have found my niche with the VRD tube stuff. It's all about what YOU like to hear. Back to tip number one, listen to as many as you can....with your Fortes.

See, I really did have Onkyo SS:

I too had the mighty Onkyos of past and loved them but, while many of my buddies here on the forum really like them and continue to adore, I personally went a different way. I perfer the McIntosh SS sound over the Onkyo SS and have found my niche with the VRD tube stuff. It's all about what YOU like to hear. Back to tip number one, listen to as many as you can....with your Fortes.

See, I really did have Onkyo SS:

Onkyo really didn't strike me as quite as lush and natural as McIntosh...not really in the same league-or price bracket.

Back in the 80's, my impression of Onkyo was that it was a great alternative to the murky/lifeless or harsh midfi of the day. It was decently clean, warm-ish and if nothing else, a little polite. This struck me as a LOT more listenable than most affordable stuff.

Onkyo is very nice, but I can't imagine opting for an Onkyo if I could afford a Mac.

Onkyo is very nice, but I can't imagine opting for an Onkyo if I could afford a Mac.

Agreed for me personally as well.

1980's in Japan one Onkyo amp and one Onkyo pre-amp depicted above (new) cost me $1500. 25 years later sold them for about 60-70% of the cost.

About 4-5 years ago I bought a McIntosh C-28 preamp, MC-2125 amp and MR-74 tuner around 30+/- years old (stock) for $1200. A year or two later I sold them for about 125% of the cost. I did have the cost of a Terry D. check out I paid for before selling.

Sound for me was no contest Mc won.

Moral of the story; listen, decide and then shop.

Agreed for me personally as well. For what I paid new for one of the Onkyo amps and pre-amps depicted above in the 80's (in Japan) I bought a McIntosh amp and pre-amp 30 years old a few years ago and it was no contest.

I seem to remember that Luxkit/Luxman was regarded as "The McIntosh of Japan"

I saw the champagne grand integra in Okinawa in 1987. Along with some (no so great) giant Onkyo horn speakers.

Check this out, it has all the connections, plenty of power and is on SALE!

CLICK HERE

I think it's hard to beat for the price,

Dennie

Nice find Dennie, I have heard these play well with our speakers.And if I remember correctly Outlaw has a very liberal retrun policy...no like = no hassle return.

heck, they are still asking $625 for the B stock 2125!

Check this out, it has all the connections, plenty of power and is on SALE!

CLICK HERE

I think it's hard to beat for the price,

Dennie

Nice find Dennie, I have heard these play well with our speakers.And if I remember correctly Outlaw has a very liberal retrun policy...no like = no hassle return.

heck, they are still asking $625 for the B stock 2125!

Yeah, it's a great price and a great piece of gear and you're right about their return policy, top notch.

I've read great reviews about this receiver and some of them were from members here. So, for the money, it is a really hard to pass up.

Heck, it has jacks for a turntable and an Ipod. [Y]

Dennie

Dennie