What it for heresy?

wolf777

Greetings to all! I require council of dear fans Klipsch! I think to buy Klipsch Heresy - to listen, the truth, is not present possibility. I look a lot in German Ebay - and I doubt - like it Heresy HBR, painted with a black spray, BUT - beige woofers. I did not see photos K-22Ef of such colour. Also diaphragm damages are how much critical? Best regards, Pavel.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260603744317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5999wt_1165

post-44112-13819583973794_thumb.jpg

Thanks davis419b! That is it not the first model Heresy HBR - but Heresy 2 Decorator?

Speakers for replacement - any k-22 or are restrictions (compatibility with a crossover)? Best regards, Pavel

Thanks davis419b! That is it not the first model Heresy HBR - but Heresy 2 Decorator? Speakers for replacement - any k-22 or are restrictions (compatibility with a crossover)? Best regards, Pavel

It is not a Heresy II it is a Hersey. Judging by the logo I would say 77 or 78. Ask the seller for the serial numbers.

Based on the other pictures, they appear to be an "R" (1977). That's the third letter/digit in the serial number stamped on the rear top edge of the top panel. For complete information about what you are looking when looking for a used pair of Heritage, see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx.

The k22's may have been "wiped" off with a damp cloth over the years and the color (which is generally gray) has "bleached" out.

The holes in the woofer cone can be repaired using some contact cement and very thin paper from the rear. Should not affect their sound.

Hope that is of some assistance.

In good cosmetics - long to catch or the mad price. If not wiped to holes woofers - I would not doubt. In any case to do new furnish - the wife will tell: "to colour of a floor and walls does not approach!!"

I think - can buy all sreaker's components and order manufacturing cabinets in my city. 30 kg of plywood to carry through half of planet... Or plywood from Georia sounds better the Siberian? Where to buy components, except ebay?

Wolf,

The best way to obtain a pair is the way you are proceeding. Just keep looking and a pair will show up that has less damage. The objective is to find a pair with the components relatively intact and require little effort to restore. Below is a list of the components, the cost of replacement if necessary, and the source.

K-22 woofer - Can be replaced with K-24; Klipsch recommends new K-28 that is used in Heresy-III. Alternate is the CW-1228 from Bob Crites (bobcrites@mac.com) - cost ranges from approximately $80 each for K-24's and CW-1228's. K-28's are more expensive at about $120 from Klipsch Parts.

K-55 midrange - Can be replaced with the Atlas PD5VH which is the same driver. They are however, expensive at ~$150 each. Usually new ones are not required and the diaphragms can be replaced. You can contact Bob Crites about diaphragms if required.

K-77 tweeter - The originals are no longer manufactured; they can be replaced with a CT-125, but the most cost effective "upgrade", if required are new diaphragms.

Type E Crossovers (through late 1983), E2 (late 1983 through the end of 1984) require only new capacitors. They can be obtained from a variety of sources, and in a variety of types. They are not that expensive and only require modest soldering skills to replace. For Heresy-II's, if they are older than about 1992-1993, capacitors are recommended.

In regards to refinishing, there are two threads that deal with "do it yourself" using new veneer. You would need a piece of veneer that is 2 m long x .75 m wide. The best is paperbacked veneer. To see what is involved in restoring a pair of Heresy's, look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx

Where to find "used" parts: To find Heresy parts, the very best way is to post a thread on the Klipsch Forum in the Garage Sale section asking for used Heresy parts. I would not recommend eBay unless there is no other choice.

Hope that is of some assistance.

[H]

Many thanks for the help! Has consulted at the local repairman - a verdict: only replacement of diaphragms or entirely woofers.

New woofers from Bob Crites (has looked his lots on ebay) - I will consider as a variant. But delivery to Russia from the USA - long and expensively (small things are easier, heavy and big - a problem). I will search for other variants and to save money;). Best regards, Pavel.

Paul,

Welcome to the forums.

I can imagine shipping would be expensive for you, since Novosibirsk is so far to the East. At least, it is a large city. You asked about different birch plywoods. Cabinets could be made out of any of the birch plys you might have available. An 11 or 13 ply would be exceptional, providing great stiffness. They would be a simple box to make. They have no ports, so there is no tuning involved.You would want to use 18mm for all the panels. The original Heresy had a 1/2" (12mm) back, but that is really not strong enough.

Replacing diphragms in the tweeter and mid driver would be fairly easy to do, and inexpensive to ship. As you say, the woofers would be more of a problem.

Would you have a huge problem with import duties on something shipped to you?

Bruce

I can imagine shipping would be expensive for you, since Novosibirsk is so far to the East. At least, it is a large city. You asked about different birch plywoods. Cabinets could be made out of any of the birch plys you might have available. An 11 or 13 ply would be exceptional, providing great stiffness. They would be a simple box to make. They have no ports, so there is no tuning involved.You would want to use 18mm for all the panels. The original Heresy had a 1/2" (12mm) back, but that is really not strong enough.

And Baltic Birch plywood is made in Russia! You're set!

By the way, Pavel, this forum does have a Russian section. I don't know if you've looked there, or how helpful it might be.

Good luck with your project!

fini - of course very thanks, but in all Russian section of a forum it is less than messages, than in this theme (or about that). And only one from them - from Russia, the others - by mistake. And in the USA much more Klipsch maniacs.

About plywood I know, thanks.

|

|

Groomlakearea51 - I certainly see the big eyes at you on an avatar - but what to distinguish the Cuban cigar from Dominican on small photo is a SORCERY!!. CERTAINLY from Cuba ;)) - the colleague has brought souvenirs - a beret and cigars. And what to carry from Cuba? Women, the sun and the sea you will not bring, to a regret.

|

|

Marvel Thanks for an explanation! I not so well write in English so could not transfer sarcasm in the phrase about "sounding of different plywood". I understand, what plywood can be used. But the main problem in any DIY the project is to dare and to begin.

To buy used easier, than to make most. Though and is more expensive, probably.

At cost of delivery from Germany - at first to the intermediary who will disassemble and will send 3 parcels - total about 220-250 euros ($290-330) + the auction price (recently have in fair condition sold for 450 euros, a lot 110525042881) - 700 euros (900 greens)

Shipping pair Heresy from the USA - $550 (and I will pay customs of 30 % from excess of $300 - if to buy for $450 and simply to send USPS EMI (2 parcels) - about $1250

At such prices you will really reflect about DIY.

Best regargs, Pavel

|

PS: There is a Russian proverb which it is possible to translate so: "overseas the cow costs a half kopeck , but delivery - 1 rouble" (1 rouble=100 Kopecks), very much approaches to a situation.

Pavel,

The Cigar Sorcery! Of course!!! after all I do live in South Florida's "Area-51".... And.... you can tell it's Cuban cigar by the great smile on your face!!!

The Heresy's, as I believe you say, ?? ????????, ?????? ?????... [H].....

If.... we could get you the side and top panel pieces, braces, motorboard and rear panel, then you would be able to assemble the "boxes"? ????? ?? ???? The "declared cost" to Customs of the dissassembled pieces should be less than $50. The "parts" might as well be, ????? ????? ????.... new for woofers from Crites, used K53/701 midranges (far cheaper than the metal K-55/700), CT-125 tweeters from Crites, and a pair of re-capped E2 crossovers. Someone on the Forum probably has a pair of K-53 midranges. I have a spare pair of the K-701 horns, and can assemble a pair of E2 crossovers. If we keep the cost down by reducing the size and weight of any of the "boxes", it is possible that we could get all the parts there for substantially less than $1250....

I am checking around for you to find out how much it would cost to send woofers and tweeters to Novosibirsk. Right now it's $120 shipping and $140 for the woofers for a total of $260. The tweeters would be $150 plus $50 shipping, for a total of $200. Total for those parts would be $460.

I estimate the cost of a panel set to be, say $55 for the wood and $125 for shipping for a total of $175. The estimate for K-53's and 701 horns and a pair of crossovers would be $185 for the parts and $100 for the shipping, for a total of $285.

• $260 woofers (one box)
  • $210 tweeters (one box)
  • $175 cabinet pair panel set, with instructions on assembly (one box)
  • $285 for the midranges and crossovers (one box)

Total ~approximately $920; Since no single box is worth over $300, you may not have to pay Customs.

Do you have any friends in St. Petersburg? It may be cheaper and safer to send something to St. Petersburg, and then you can have them send the boxes to you by train, freight, etc.

????? ???? ?????????? ??? ????, ??? ?????? ????????? ?????!

?????, ? ?????? ??????? ???? ????? ??? ????? ? ????? ??????? ???????? ??????????? ??????. ?? ????? ???? ??????? ?????? ? ????????, ? ??? ???????? ?????? ????? ? ?????? ????????? ????? ????????. ??? ????????? ???????? ?????? ????? ?????, ??? ???? ?????? ??? ????? ???????? ? ????? ???????. ??????????, ???????? ???? ?????????? ? ????? ????. ???? ? ???? ??????? ?????? ? ????????? ???? Klipsch Heresy's, ????? ??? ?????. ??? ? ??? ???????, ? ??????, ??? ????? ???????.
? ?????????,
????

???????

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for readiness to help! But as you have already told - DIY is a challenge.

Also there can be I will dare at it, but later. At first I will try to find in Europe.

???????, ??? ?? - "????????????? ?????????? ??????????" ;). ? ?????? ? ??????????? ???????????? (?????????? ?????????), ?? ??????? ?????????? ???? ? ???? ???????????? ??? ????. ??? ???, ???????? ? ?????? ????? ???????-????????? ??????? ???????????, ???? 20 ??? ?? ?????? ??? ? ?????.

?? ????? ?????? ?????? ??-??????, ??????? ????????, ??? ??????? ????????, ? ??????? ? ???? ????????? ????? ? ?? ????????? ??????????.

????????? ????????? ??????? ??????? ?? ?????? ??????????, ?? ? ????? ????? ??????. ?, ????????, ????? ???????, ??? ? ??-?????????.

? ?? ????, ?? ???? ?????-?????? ????? - ?? ?????? ?????? - ???-?? ??? ????????????? ??????.

? ?????????, ?????