bookshelf speakers?

CeeDubbya

Hi everybody,

I am a new klipsch fan looking for some speakers for my college dorm room. Being a college student I do not have much to spend for these. My budget is ~$200. I am looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers. I came here because I have been reading a lot of the posts on here just out of curiosity and everybody seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful. I hope to someday own a nice pair of heritage klipsch. But for now what would be the best way for me? Should I buy new or should I be searching the used market for some nice vintage speakers? I am leaning more towards the vintage route due to various recommendations. I plan on using my parents old sansui ba-f1/ca-f1 amp/preamp to power these. Are any of the vintage klipsch bookshelf speakers a good match for this? If so what would work best? A pair of KG2's? Or should I just got find a nice marantz amp to power them?

I am currently looking at this local craigslist ad for some dynaco A25's http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/1782150601.html is this a good deal?

Well anyways, as you can see I have a lot of questions but I am confident I will get receive some helpful advice/ideas on here. Thanks! [;)]

See if you can get something decent from craigslist.

I personally would get a pair or reference series bookshelves - RB-3 or RB-5s. They are awesome speakers that will play very well with modern or vintage amps and they can be moved to rear/surrounds if you move to larger speakers in the future. These particular models can also be had for little money - from $100 for a pair if you are lucky.

You could also try to get KG series, but they are bigger and may not fit in a small room.

The Dynacos that you are looking at are great speakers. You will no doubt be able to sell them for what you bought them for so if you find some heresys down the road you can easily trade up. I think you will be pretty happy with the dynacos. Not a lot can touch them at that price.

Josh

Thanks for the info, I'm going forward on the dynaco's but am weary to buy due to the fact that the vent is mounted above the drivers, which is unusual as the vent is usually mounted below the drivers. I have asked to receive more info and will update you all on what happens. Thanks.

I think you will be pretty happy with the dynacos. Not a lot can touch them at that price.
Josh

I agree with Josh on the Dynacos. They won't crank the way some of the Klipsch will, but you might not be able to do that in a dorm anyway.

My younger son had a pair of JBL L46, which served him very well in his dorm room. They still sound great.

Bruce