Timbre Matching Question Reference Series

NewbieRob

I am a newbie to surround sound, but have read enough to know that voice matching at least your 3 front speakers is very important. I therefore realize that the RC-62 is the ideal match for the RF-62s and the RC-52 is the ideal match or the RF-52s. However, if you had to choose and had to use the RC-52, would you prefer to use the RF-52s or the RF-62s? Assume no upgrading in the future is possible and assume this will be your system for next 5 years. Also assume a fairly large room with high ceilings and assume this is 99% for tv and movies. Which would be more preferable with the RC-52 - - the perfectly matched RF-52s or the better RF-62s? Thanks!

NewbieRob,

Welcome to the forum. Well you have some things to ponder. If you were matching the RC-52 and RF-82's(as Best Buy did), I would say absolutely not. With the RF-62/RC-52 combo, the timbre difference is minimal in comparison. With that said, get the bigger towers, they will fill the room with sound much better. JMO.

Bill

• Moderators

My vote would also be for the RF-62's. I don't think you will be able to tell that it isn't the "matching" center for them. If at all possible down the road, the RC-62 is a much better speaker than the RC-52.

Thanks for the responses. Can you tell me why the RC-62 is a much better choice than the RC-52? Does the bigger woofer make that big of a difference (I think they use the same tweeter)? As I would like to get the clearest dialogue possible for tv and movies (not using this for music), will the RC-62 make a meaningful difference? Thanks again.

I originally had a RC-52 and was disappointed with the results. I upgraded to a RC-62 and was more satisfied. The RC-62 is in a different league than the RC-52. Besides the obvious differences (the bigger woofers), the sound is MUCH stronger, clearer, cleaner and crisp on the RC-62. However, I ended up returning it and ordering the RC-64 to fulfill my need of the best possible dialog for movies and gaming.

-Matt