Upgade Advice Please.

liebherr954

Hay guys I have a problem that I could use some help with.I am getting ready for my next upgrade, Kind of the top priorities list. I was thinking about buying either a new receiver or an amplifier. I'm torn between the two because they have so many benefits.

The receiver Ive be looking at is the Pioneer VSX 919, it has all of the HDMi ports I need and of course decodes HD audio plus it has the outputs for an amp. I was looking at the Yamaha RXV 765 but they are still around $800 vs. the $500 of the pioneer (witch I would put towards the amp)The Amp I was looking at is the Emotiva UPA-5. After hooking my speakers up to a friend’s old Adcom 545 amp (real 100wattsper channel) I was really blown away with my speakers! The detail was night and day when I played some Miles Davis, the instruments sounded like they had more separation (if that makes sense) Even though my RB-81s are just bookshelves the bass was definitely much better.

Well that’s my situation, I could use any advice or comments. I am thinking about the amp upgrade first so I could get that same great sound.

If they power is what you really desire what is it in the reciever that you want?

If you currently have all the hookups you need (not want), then I would spring for the power you want.

If you're thinking you're going to gain anything with the addition of a HDMI reciever then get the reciever. Depending on your setup the only real benefit the HDMI brings is less wires behind the TV and you're here, so we assume you already have plenty of wires back there does a couple less matter?

I've said this before in previous posts, I went from having a HDMI capable reciever to an old pre pro with no HDMI, I don't feel I lost anything.

It sounds like you want the amp as you hear the benefit from it. You may not hear what you want from the new reciever.

Thanks for the advice Rockon4klipsch.

I'm leaning to the amp upgrade first because I know it will be a big improvement.My old Yamaha 596 has only the basic hook ups (being 8 years old) I've heard that dolby and DTS HD sound great almost like comparing pro logic to dolby digital, so I'm told. That is the reason behind wanting to upgrade the receiver, I've looked at the used market for hdmi recevers but there are not a lot currently avalible.

If you're considering Emotiva their items are on sale for 10% off plus free shipping through July 4th. Not sure if all the same applies to Canadian orders but if you're looking to buy new from Emotiva now's the time to do it.

I hate to say, I agree with a Buckeye.

What speakers do you have? (Knowing this will make the answer better)

If staying with your budget I would check out a Onkyo 800 series, less then your buget. Add a couple of Adcom 545s or 535s off the Bay or better yet here, and for less than a grand you will have a nice "Seperates" system without dropping a lot of coin. 535s are going for less than $100. 545s a little over $200. Most people could live with a System like this for the rest of their life, I lasted about 6 months.

Then some day the Adcoms will sound great in an office or the Garage or hooked up to the Onkyo playing music through in-walls in the Kitchen and Living Room for parties -- That is where my Adcoms and Pioneer Elite are headed.

After that a significant improvement in sound will require even more significant cash, better Processor, better amps, Speaker upgrades, better room placement? Sound treatments or at least more accoustically friendly furnature most important a Matching Center Channel?

I have bought many things used, an 2002 McIntosh MX132 Processor for a little over a grand instead of 5 grand on a new one with the same exact specs. (No HDMI though)

For Bluray I run an HDMI cable direct to my Flat Panel and use the audio outs to the McIntosh, sounds way better than a Pioneer Elite that was over a grand.

For ATT Uverse the only option for Surround Sound is Component to the Flat Panel and Fiber to the McIntosh, Uverse is basically limited to 720p and low bit rate audio so for over a year this has been a great setup.

I do not miss the HDMI conections of the Pioneer Elite 1 bit.

I hate to say, I agree with a Buckeye.

What speakers do you have? (Knowing this will make the answer better)

If staying with your budget I would check out a Onkyo 800 series, less then your budget. Add a couple of Adcom 545s or 535s off the Bay or better yet here, and for less than a grand you will have a nice "Seperates" system without dropping a lot of coin. 535s are going for less than $100. 545s a little over $200. Most people could live with a System like this for the rest of their life, I lasted about 6 months.

Then some day the Adcoms will sound great in an office or the Garage or hooked up to the Onkyo playing music through in-walls in the Kitchen and Living Room for parties -- That is where my Adcoms and Pioneer Elite are headed.

After that a significant improvement in sound will require even more significant cash, better Processor, better amps, Speaker upgrades, better room placement? Sound treatments or at least more acoustically friendly furniture most important a Matching Center Channel?

I have bought many things used, an 2002 McIntosh MX132 Processor for a little over a grand instead of 5 grand on a new one with the same exact specs. (No HDMI though)

For Bluray I run an HDMI cable direct to my Flat Panel and use the audio outs to the McIntosh, sounds way better than a Pioneer Elite that was over a grand.

For ATT Uverse the only option for Surround Sound is Component to the Flat Panel and Fiber to the McIntosh, Uverse is basically limited to 720p and low bit rate audio so for over a year this has been a great setup.

I do not miss the HDMI connections of the Pioneer Elite 1 bit.

Thanks for the honesty BE36.

I have a pair of RB-81s for my mains and a Rc-52 center, for surrounds I'm using Quintets (believe it or not they are what got me hooked on Klipsch). My budget for a receiver was about $600 (the price of the Pioneer vsx 919) and $500 for the Emotiva UPA-5. Ive seen some amazing deals on receivers in the States, in Canada the prices seem to jump between 30-40%.

The main reason I wanted to by an amp first had to due with the fact when listening to music my speakers sounded so much better, detail and bass response was truly a night and day experience.

Ive looked at the used market and I haven't seen many good deals, when I have seen something worth calling about its already sold.

Since I am new to home theater I though Dolby HD and DTS HD was a huge step ahead of DD and DTS? Now I am just confused??? Maybe I should try to re-think my upgrade on the receiver and just by an amp for the time being, then worry about a receiver??

I though Dolby HD and DTS HD was a huge step ahead of DD and DTS?

Not a huge step but a definite step up. At the end of the day, if you want to watch Blu-ray in 1080p and listen to HD audio then you have to get a receiver with HDMI. Period.

Not a huge step but a definite step up. At the end of the day, if you want to watch Blu-ray in 1080p and listen to HD audio then you have to get a receiver with HDMI. Period.

Actually a receiver with 5.1/7.1 discrete analog inputs would also work as long as the Blu-Ray player has 5.1/7.1 discrete outputs, which most do. That opens up a ton of possibilities, especially in older receivers that originally were hundreds or thousands of dollars and now can be bought for pennies on the dollar.

Actually a receiver with 5.1/7.1 discrete analog inputs would also work as long as the Blu-Ray player has 5.1/7.1 discrete outputs, which most do. That opens up a ton of possibilities, especially in older receivers that originally were hundreds or thousands of dollars and now can be bought for pennies on the dollar.

Yes, but 99% of receivers do not then post process the analogue input. i.e. no Audyssey, digital filtering or downmixing (7.1 to 5.1) gets applied.

Pioneer Elite BDP-05 does all the Decoding I need, both HD formats.

But my room is pretty good without funny corners so Room Calibration is not that important.

To me using audyssey is like buying new Volkswagon Bug with all the new wistles and bells, is still a bug.

I would rather spend the same amount of money on used Porshe that has been well cared for.

The Porsche still goes faster and handles better.

My old Mac Intosh still sounds better then my New Pioneer Elite Processor after room calibration.

Some one with an odd shapped room my not have the same result.