5.1 audio WITHOUT a sub?

grafixmonkey

Hi all,

I'm finally upgrading to 5.1! (yay, took me how long?)

Thing is, I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus-II speakers which means I really do not need a sub. The Chorus-II's cover the bass range so well I could not ask for better.

I'm wondering if NOT having a sub will be a problem for getting correct audio from modern 5.1 titles, i.e. if I connect these two amazing full-range front speakers will I get full-range output or will I be missing the bass?

Also, do I need to look for a particular feature in an amp that will allow me to mix the sub channel in with the front L/R?

So far I'm considering the Onkyo TX-SR608 which can be had for around the mid- $400's. (Open to suggestions but I'll be reluctant to cross $600.)

Oh, and I'm totally willing to jury-rig. In fact I would simply get a small mixer board to mix the sub channel into the left and right preamp signals, but with everything being digital I don't think I have the right access to the right signals at the right places. If there's a receiver with a pro mixer style pre-out and pre-in, I could make that work.

Congrats! Any new receiver ought to do what you want to do, steering the LFE to the mains if you tell it no sub is present. I know my Harman Kardon will do it easily. The Harmans also have pre-outs at almost every price point, but they do lack Audyssey room calibration. You'll have to work up your selection criteria and choose accordingly.

On to speakers -- I've got Chorus IIs, and you're going to miss a lot without a sub. You're good to 40 Hz with those guys, fine for all but the lowest notes on a piano or bass guitar, but you're dropping off at 24 db/octave below that. Basically that whole last octave of movie soundtracks will be lost to you. No big deal for Chocolat and Mystic Pizza if that's your thing, but Transformers and War of the Worlds won't be at all the same.

I'm wondering if NOT having a sub will be a problem for getting correct audio from modern 5.1 titles, i.e. if I connect these two amazing full-range front speakers will I get full-range output or will I be missing the bass?

You'll definitely be missing the bass. Just for kicks, one time I turned the subwoofer off in my system and directed the LFE to my mains (flat to 32Hz). WOW, what a difference. You really miss out on alot without a sub. There's content in HT discs that goes well below the capability of your mains. Of course, if you've never heard (or felt) what your missing, you won't know that something's not right. Once you hook up a good sub, you'll never watch a movie without one.

• 3 weeks later...

A full range system needs properly integrated capable subs. There is plenty going on down deep, taking this foundation out is ignoring an important frequency range,filtering out, castrating music/movies .

You cannot get a proper HT experience with poor performance below 30Hz. I would go as far as to say a capable HT system should be capable of a minimum of 126dB @ 16Hz at listening position. Now how many systems can pass this test?

Thing is, I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus-II speakers which means I really do not need a sub. The Chorus-II's cover the bass range so well I could not ask for better.

sub channel in with the front L/R?

So far I'm considering the Onkyo TX-SR608 which can be had for around the mid- $400's. (Open to suggestions but I'll be reluctant to cross $600.)

I am partial to Onkyo. I think anything with the WRAT (Wide range amp tech) is a pretty good receiver; I love mine.

Are you set on brand new? Many great deals to be had on slightly used equipment. (My Onkyo is the TXSR702, no HDMI, but 100 WPC X7. I paid $140).

And yes, that receiver will direct all sound to the mains if you have the sub setting set to off..... No jury rigging necessary.....

I also think you may be selling yourself short without a sub. A good sub can get down to 20Hz or more which is much lower than your speakers can do. (They are excellent speakers BTW).

Good Luck.

A full range system needs properly integrated capable subs. There is plenty going on down deep, taking this foundation out is ignoring an important frequency range,filtering out, castrating music/movies .

You cannot get a proper HT experience with poor performance below 30Hz. I would go as far as to say a capable HT system should be capable of a minimum of 126dB @ 16Hz at listening position. Now how many systems can pass this test?

I agree here. Poor performance below 30Hz will leave you unsatisfied in the end, if you want the true HT experience.