I got a FEVER, and the only cure is . . .

Olorin

. . . MORE LA SCALAS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only had to drive an hour each way to pick these puppies up. 1984 LS-BLS, all original with square magnet K-77s, K-55Muds, and type AL crossovers. They do sound different from the 1978s with the Type As, KK-55Vs, and Crites tweets -- the 78s are much more polite in the top end with a more pronounced midrange, which I attribute to the Type A's padding the tweeter by 3 db. The "historically correct" Type AA for 1978 doesn't have that attenuation, and parts to convert the 78s to AAs were on the way before I saw these pop up Friday, so I'll do the AA conversion and decide which set to keep. I do like the grills, so all things being equal sound-wise, the 84s may win on style points. I won't move components from one set to the other, though I will try the Crites tweets in the 84s and rebuild their crossovers as well.

Look out, Colter -- you may have West Coast competition soon!

Look out, Colter -- you may have West Coast competition soon!

You still have a long way to go before you would catch up with Michael. [;)]

Really nice looking! Those could be refinshed pretty easily. My Walnut Stain '86s have the same style grills, but I quickly replaced the AL crossovers... they sounded horrible.

Bruce

post-7149-13819599103228_thumb.jpg

post-7149-13819617398422_thumb.jpg

Gimme time, man, gimme time . . .

You know, I hear that rumor about the ALs but these sound great to me. I'll have to do some research and see if the move to the AL-3 was meant to solve a problem or if it was in response to component supplier changes. To be honest these have that characteristic Klipsch Heritage sound that I love from my Heresys, just more of it plus all of that completely horn-loaded goodness. I suppose it's possible that I just don't hear well and any crossover changes would be wasted on me.

Gimme time, man, gimme time . . .

You know, I hear that rumor about the ALs but these sound great to me. I'll have to do some research and see if the move to the AL-3 was meant to solve a problem or if it was in response to component supplier changes. To be honest these have that characteristic Klipsch Heritage sound that I love from my Heresys, just more of it plus all of that completely horn-loaded goodness. I suppose it's possible that I just don't hear well and any crossover changes would be wasted on me.

Great looking setup; and I love the rug... really looks nice...

You must mean Marvel's place, which is very nice. Mine is decorated in "Modern Bachelor with Dogs."

It looks great, though, Olorin. Mine is still bachelor at the moment, but that will change again this Fall when my fiancee and I get married.

Bruce

You must mean Marvel's place, which is very nice. Mine is decorated in "Modern Bachelor with Dogs."

It looks great, though, Olorin. Mine is still bachelor at the moment, but that will change again this Fall when my fiancee and I get married.

Bruce

Thanks, it's a work in progress. ;-)

Just curious, what crossover did you go to, and how did your musical preference and other system components influence that choice?

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! I wish you much and continuing happiness.

Guest David H

the 78s are much more polite in the top end with a more pronounced midrange, which I attribute to the Type A's padding the tweeter by 3 db.

More Lascala's nice. The 78's don't have the tweeter padded, they are wide open, the only driver attenuated is the midrange. I imagine the crossovers are causing the major sound differences. BTW the mid is also attenuated on the AL, just has a different autoformer.

When I stripped my AL crossovers, I saved the good parts, I ended up with the wood and barrier strip. [:D]

the 78s are much more polite in the top end with a more pronounced midrange, which I attribute to the Type A's padding the tweeter by 3 db.

More Lascala's nice. The 78's don't have the tweeter padded, they are wide open, the only driver attenuated is the midrange. I imagine the crossovers are causing the major sound differences. BTW the mid is also attenuated on the AL, just has a different autoformer.

When I stripped my AL crossovers, I saved the good parts, I ended up with the wood and barrier strip. Big Smile

Hehe, I think that's what I said to you about what I was going to keep from those.

Ahh, my mistake, it is straight through and not -3, so apparently I need to spend some time at the Derek Zoolander Center for Children Who
Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too.

This Trey post indicates that the 55M is tapped differently from the 55V because the mud tweeter runs a tad hotter than the AlNiCo part does. I'll have to spend some time with both sets and learn what's really behind the difference, because I definitely have a preference. Thanks for the pointer!

Good eye, JB, she's a 1997 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 with about 177k on the clock, and far and away the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Land Cruisers, dogs, and mountains go together. That's Gracie, AKA Best Dog Ever, enjoying her second to the last trip almost two years ago. I lost her to old age about this time last year, and I still miss her.

Just curious, what crossover did you go to, and how did your musical preference and other system components influence that choice?

I built some DHA2 crossovers (John Albright design). They are really simple, first order, and suit my 2A3 power amps (3.5 watts). If I hit 90 db, I find it pretty loud. They still sound great to me, but that is about as loud as I get with my music. A lot of orchestral, Eagles, Bonnie Raitt (sp?), Neil Young, Norah Jones. It varies.

The DHA2s don't seem to require as power to open up as the ALKs do, esp. the extreme slope. I'm certainly not knocking Al's ES crossovers, I just find these a better match for my gear and tastes.

Bruce