center & surround for Chorus II

Let me start off my saying that I bought my beloved Chorus II's ~'92 and I am embarassed to say today was the first time I went to a store to see the "new" Klipsch models. Am I the only one appalled by the new style instead of the older magnificent wood cabinet of the Chorus IIs?

Anyway, I am interested in getting a center and surround to complement the Chorus II. The Klipsch web site recommends KLF-C7 for the center (which someone posted that they are discontinued??) and RS-3 for surround.

Suggestions...( I would like the center to match my oak Chorus IIs.)

Any specific cable recommendations?

Any comments are much appreciated.

By the by, can any of the current models (made after '93) (other than Scalla, K-Horn) compete with Chorus II?

Hey McFly...

I too have the Chorus II's and couldn't be happier with them. Even the wife admits they sound great, so we never had a dispute about their size in our living room. :-)

I just upgraded to the KLF-C7, and it is a great match for the Chorus line. Now I've got the bug to upgrade my surrounds (little KSS 2's that sound good but are no match for the rest of the system).

Have fun auditioning. I highly recommend the Chorus line and the KLF-C7 as the centerpieces for a home theater system.

Colin

Well the perfect center match would be an Academy center channel, but since they don't make them anymore and they are extremely hard to find you might want to get the KLF-C7. As for surrounds, I have heard that the RS-3's sound really good...but if you have the room you could use another pair of floorstanding speakers or a pair of bookshelf speakers.

And no you aren't the only one appalled by the new Klipsch speakers, I for one would not buy any of the Klipsch speakers that were made after like '92 or so. That is about the time they went to smaller, slimmer speakers that just don't look or sound the same as the older speakers.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

At the risk of sounding like a company flack, I want to mention, in fairness to Klipsch, that we need to bear in mind that they do have to design their new speakers for a different audience than they used to have. Aesthetics have become one of the key decision criteria as people try to integrate more function into less space in their homes. In a generation where everything gets smaller every day (witness cell phones, PCs, even cars), beauties like Cornwalls, Belle's and even K-horns look very much out of "style." So if Klipsch has to design for the masses to keep the bills paid so that they can still build the Heritage line, then I'm all for it. Also, the new stuff lets a new generation get introduced to Klipsch, and they might later get exposed to the Heritage line and enjoy those as much as we do!

Sorry to rant. Off the soapbox, and off to a Cubs game (spring training, ya know).

I also have Chorus IIs and the C-7, for the rear I have KLF-20. They sound amazing together and for movies, nothing like those KLF-20s handling those explosions in Gladiator. I am looking for another set of Chorus to see how they will sound as rear surrounds.

------------------

Cruzer

• 1 year later...

I too am appalled by the so called "new" Klipsch models and am not interested in any of them at all. Currently trying to obtain a pre-1989 Klipsch Forte, but not the Forte II which I heard is a "different" animal.

I was also wishing Klipsch would bring back this great speaker.

Nothing works as a center channel quite so well as a third main speaker. Since 5.1 (and above) movies put upwards of 75% of the total sound through the center speaker... movie buffs ought to build their systems around the best center they can afford.

Doug (born-again-as-no-life), makes a valid point on the road to achieving "answering machine" status. If it were not for these highly engineered, robust/svelte Klipsch products there would not be a major expansion simultaneously taking place in Hope and Indy.

There is only so much trickery engineers can do to try to get great sound into ever smaller boxes... but that is what the majority of the public wants... a fact Dr. Bose uses to haul big bucks to his bank account every day. -HornEd

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo needs updating! -HornEd

George-

Myram hit the nail on the head about the Academy. I have Forte IIs and started with a KV-3 center, which was very nice. Then I bought Colin's KV-4 and that was better, though somewhat brighter. Then I found an Academy, and I didn't know what I was missing. That speaker is incredible and a perfect match for my Fortes, and, therefore, for the Chorus IIs. If you can find one, grab it quick!! I still need to post my 3-way comparison of those centers. I should be able to do that this weekend, along with the Hope trip report.

I haven't heard the KLF-C7, but it has good reviews. And, if you could swing it, or have a large WAF, then another Chorus/Forte/Quartet as the center would be great too, ala Doug and Jerohm.

To add a bit to Doug's soapbox, yes, Klipsch has made a shift in their marketing, which has allowed them to grow as much as they have. Now they are discussing bringing back the "big ol' horns" and I am excited. Besides, if they didn't make other speakers, there might not be a Klipsch to bring back the Heritage line!

Rob