Multi-Channel Recordings played on Two Channel System

Radmanna

I have an SACD player and two speakers (plus a subwoofer) for two channel stereo. I am reviewing available SACD recordings to buy. I would rather buy only single layer SACD Stereo recordings, with the assumption that their sound quality would be better than a hybrid SACD Stereo recording. I'll buy hybrid SACD Stereo recordings, just based on the limited single layer SACD Stereo recordings that are availabile.

There is also a lot of multi-channel recordings that are available as both single layer SACD recordings and hybid SACD recordings.

1. Is it possible to re-route the playback of these multi-channel recordings, through your two channel stereo system?

2. Would the quality of the sound on these multi-channel recordings be not-so-good when played on a two channel system?

3. Would the quality of multi-channel ... single layer SACD recordings ... be not-worth-buying for a two-channel SACD system?

4. Would the quality of multi-channel ... hybrid SACD recordings ... be an effective means of torture when played on a two-channel SACD system?

Steve

The quality of the audio is not going to depend upon the number of layers. It's going to depend on the engineering. I have heard standard Redbook that held up to the very finest vinyl. Only a few, granted, but enough to suggest the "superiorty" of vinyl is perhaps more due to the great engineers of that time than the medium. Alright, I shouldn't have said that, as it's likely to cause a hijack...please don't, guys. JMHO.

In any event, music mastered using 1 bit 2.8 technology has the potential to capture all there is to hear...if the engineer is any good.

Technically, well engineered multi-channel sound should sound the same as stereo when only the front channels are played back. However, if the surround is done in mix, and done poorly, it will sound poor. Of course, the same is true of simply 2 channel.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most, if not all, surround SACDs have a 2 channel option as well.

Bottom line is that any well engineered SACD or DVD-A will sound as good as the engineering and mastering, no better, no worse, regardless of the playback options or layers involved.

Dave

PS - The hybrids that offer a Redbook layer should be excellent assuming good engineering on the SACD. 1 bit 2.8mhz transcodes (in my experience) perfectly to any PCM resolution due to the sample rate offering such a high division that it is effectively even, resulting in no dithering or other artifacts.

My SONY SACD player has outputs for stereo (L/R) specifically, and also the multi-channel outputs. I've only used it in stereo and I've never actually even seen or played an SACD. But the player itself has a 2 ch. output. How it arrives at those 2 Ch of information if you are playing an SACD I don't know.

I have 2 SACD players and don't use either for multi-channel playback. Like Dave said, the number of layers in meaningless. I play my SACDs in stereo and they sound terrific, some better than others of course. I used to play multi-channel but it meant using my HT receiver instead of my old tube amp. No comparison. 2-channel (SACD mode or not) on a good 60 year old tube amp blew away multi-channel on a modern HT receiver.

Hey Steve, Did you see my reply in your other thread? - Dennie

Yes, and thanks Dennie. Here's the link you provided, which I think folks are still contributing to:

< http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236911 >. Perhaps we can all continue to add their recommendations to good sounding SACD (single layer stereo preferably) recordings?

I've noticed that one SACD vendor will mention multi-channel SACD, when referring to surround sound. I've noticed that another vendor will mention 5.1 SACD, when referring to surround sound. But neither of these vendors mention whether their surround sound recordings will play normally on a two-channel system. So, I am still not clear ... on whether my office room's Marantz SA-8001 (and living room's Marantz SA-8003) SACD player ... with L/R Heresy III stereo speakers ... can playback surround sound recordings?

Another question: Let's say that your SACD player that you bought for a two channel system can playback a surround sound recording through a two channel system. Does the listener have to adjust their SACD player ... or any of the other hi fi components ... between listening to stereo SACD disks and listening to surround sound SACD disks? Or are all SACD players automatically set up, to be able to playback either a stereo recording or a surround sound recording, without having to adjust any of the settings on their hi fi components?

Hey Steve, Did you see my reply in your other thread? - Dennie

Yes, and thanks Dennie.

Another question: Let's say that your SACD player that you bought for a two channel system can playback a surround sound recording through a two channel system. Does the listener have to adjust their SACD player ... or any of the other hi fi components ... between listening to stereo SACD disks and listening to surround sound SACD disks? Or are all SACD players automatically set up, to be able to playback either a stereo recording or a surround sound recording, without having to adjust any of the settings on their hi fi components?

Hey Steve,

On my Oppo Universal player (including SACD), I initially had to tell the player, in the set up menu, to read the 2 channel layer of the SACD. Once configured properly, it will always read the stereo layer. Your Marantz ( a very nice SACD Player, BTW) will probably be the same way.

I hope that helps,

Dennie