What's Happening To This 2-Channel Forum?

Hey, guys ... 50,000 foot view here ...

I've been away for 4-5 days tending to my dad and came back to this site in earnest today during lunch to catch up and post where appropriate. I was kind of startled and concerned when I sensed that sides are being drawn and the emotional quotient was heating up.

I'm a newbie to all this and have had fun acquiring and restoring Klipsch speakers while delving into the world of HT and tube 2-channel. But I fear that the comraderie this site has developed is in danger of fracturing, irrevocably if we're not careful, and I think hubris may be the cause of it. We wouldn't be the first ... it got the Roman Empire Smile.gif

Let's keep it simple and civil ... and based on facts; let us also remember that most of us visit here for fun and information and occasionally ... comraderie. I've met some great people here; let's maintain the focus and the goodwill. It's hard to get back once it's lost. Let's protect that.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 03-27-2002 at 03:30 PM

I agree here. I think we should realize that all of these amps have merit and each strengths. We each have viewpoints concerning good sound with many more opinions on how to go about achieving it.

Some prefer solid state, some tubes, some single-ended triodes, some vintage, some push-pull, some a smattering of all the above. Regardless, as I attempted to say in another thread, the interplay can bring about good discussion. I see merits in many of the designs and topologies and usually have a sampling of varieties to enjoy if possible.

As I said, whether it be EICO, Scott, Fisher, Leak, Bryston, Krell, NAD, Cary, Welborne Labs, or anything, they all have strengths and weaknesses. And each of the topologies have good and bad qualities. Whether it be cascade configured, triode, cathode Bias, fixed bias, SET, push-pull etc, I have seen all have good examples and bad examples.

Obviously, we have our favorites. I guess we need to stop getting carried away with this aspect and get back to the music. Whether we are listening to an AM radio in a 66 Mustang or listening to LAMM Monoblocks, the music still had the potential to move. And that is essentially the main point. The rest is a hobby.

kh

You know, when I first got to this forum, I had a little "fight" with someone. After that, I realized that no one takes themselves very sereously here, so we should just have fun.

DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN.

I HATE that saying, but in this case, it is true...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

EVERYONE in my close/extended family work like clockwork. ANYONE can be with ANYONE with absolutly NO problems. It is soo nice being around the table at Thanksgiving and know everyone is truely happy to be there. NEVER fighting, NEVER bitter. or old bad feelings. Just one big happy family. At work, we all are sick, twisted freaks. When a client comes in, we all put on our game faces and act like mature, responcible adults that can be trusted to design stuff. Only if they knew the truth...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Hey discussions will get heated from time to time - it is a part of this board. Lets not get all choked up on it - just ride with it.

I find the interplay of different personalities and opinions most rewarding on here and wouldnt change it for the world.

To me audio is largely subjective (it must be - who in their right mind would want B&W speakers for crying out loud??? - just kidding) and so we can expect hot disputes to fire up suddenly.

I have learned more on this board in the last few months than I would have believed possible without taking a degree course in audio. I know enough to know that I know, in fact, very little, but it doesnt really matter. On here there are some that know less than me - and I can help them - and many that know more and they can advise me.

This is what it is all about. god if you think the flame wars on here are bad avoid the cables forum on Audioreview - it will kill you!!

Just my $0.02

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Pro-ject 4 turntable with Pro-ject 9 arm and Pro-ject 6 head,

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

maxg, I have to hand it to you if you can even stomach ANY of the forums in Audio Review! The mixture is definitely a deadly one.

In the heyday of newsgroups, the old RAT (rec audio tubes) was a haven for amazing interchanges of tremendous personality and equipment ideology conflict. What made matters even more volatile, is that you had a very large base of extremely knowledgeable people including a gaggle of manufacturers and tube designers. Then you mix in the complete Objectivists that believe in nothing but measurements and specs, and you get a virtual Molotov Cocktail of interaction.

Of course, you also had kings in the Battle of Witty Repartee so the mix was both informative, volatile, entertaining, and surely dynamic. I think the Audio Asylum has pretty much taken over. The SET and TUBE DIY area of the Audio Asylum can be a happening place as well, although the poor RAT is still chugging along.

To think I wandered in this place for some info on the various and multiple versions of the lowly Cornwall.... now look what happened. Yeah, I have been trying to break the habit for the past year. When you work on the computer, the temptation to avoid what you HAVE to do with what you positively DONT have to do is horribly tempting.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

"the temptation to avoid what you HAVE to do with what you positively DONT have to do is horribly tempting."

Tell me about it Kelly.

If I wasnt the boss my *** would be grass by now!!

Actually I find the Audioreview general chat quite pleasant and post there a lot. Thus far I aint really been flamed and there are some real nice people I have gotten to know (as far as you can in a forum like this).

BTW - 94 records and counting (not bad in 10- days) - what are the odds on my having more than a thousand by year end?

I still cannot believe this is maxg talking concerning vinyl; I remember talking about this with you a few months back and you had just about written the ticks and pops hell off. Yet I still saw a glimmer, a faint hint but had no idea that you would turn into a vinyl fiend! Sounds like you have excellent selection over there as well, something that contributes a lot to the draw of the turntable, besides the natural sound.

I think you had to get deeper into tubes to really fall into the vinyl pit. Vinyl - tubes - horns are an extremely good match with excellent resolution, and on good table/cartridge combinations, far surpassing digital. Not to say I still dont listen to digital.

When you get knee-deep in good jazz, some of the great finds in vinyl really start to crop up. I also find older rock recordings from the 60s sound FAR better in vinyl.

Listen, for you Beatles lovers out there, you HAVE to hear good vinyl. Beatles on CD is a travesty really. Listening to Abbey Road, Srgt Peppers, The White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver, as well as the early stuff in mono...well, it is just amazing.

Good luck on your search.

kh

Chris:

No question there are people who are well spoken, thoughtful and respectfull of others and their opinions (most are). On the other hand there are a few abrasive, boastfull asses who's contributions, although plentiful are not welcomed by many. I don't want to mention any names here and I think you all know of a few of the types to whom I'm referring.

For the most part everyone is helpful, respectful and thoughtful. You have to learn to consider the source when reading some responses.

Regards,

Stuf>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

Thanks guys for the shared thoughts ... My post was really a general, rhetorical statement offered to prompt us to pause and reflect.

I would guess (but not suppose) that many of us are passionate people when it comes to music and its reproduction. And that's good. I would agree that there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat when it comes to assembling audio gear that inspires passion in the listener. That is what I want to hear when I get home at the end of a crummy day.

And the diversity in our views assures that many different kinds of solutions will be in demand for many years! Wouldn't it be an expensive bummer if we all (outside this forum, included) wanted only ONE solution? Where would the fun be in that?

Det. Random Coolzip, XPD

mdeneen:

It's perched with the old style PWK emblem atop my T.V. in all it's glory. The damaged corner courtesy of UPS is not noticeable without close inspection and this old beauty is a great match for my Cornwall mains.

Thanks again for dealing with me in good faith and for handling that UPS claim with class & integrity.

Regards,

Stuf>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B