AUDIOPHILE EMERGENCY! my $42,000 home theater...

justin_tx_16

Like boa wrote, any one got an alternative to the Aragon Stage 7 and 2007? I need a 7 channel amp and receiver and these are from Klipsch, which is cool, but not the only ones out there. What are some others, and how do they compare?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm:

Uh...

I think I see an electrical code violation. That 12 gauge speaker wire in the wall doesn't appear to be appropriately rate cable for in wall installation.

Building inspector in Texas let you get away with that?

what do you mean???

and building codes out here are not like in actual houston. we are 2 miles out, don't even need a permit to clear land and build a house on it.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

I've heard a demo with all Aragon and Klipsch ref 7...

If you're not satisfied by that, then you will never be. It sounded absolutely awesome, with two RSW-15 flanking the mains. A really theater-like setup.

Heard that at the Son et Image Festival here in Montréal, the Klipsch room was the best in show, and let me tell you, Toy Story 2 never sounded that good! Really awesome.

I've never really had the occasion to hear other comparable electronics with a Klipsch setup, however, so I can't really compare, just say that this one was absolutely awesome. And if you could get those new (or upcoming, I guess) Aragon components in silver, like they were presented at the show, then that would be even better. Don't know if they're available yet, though, they were presented as early examples hot off the factory when I saw them. Looked damn fine, much better IMO than black.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

yeah, they have them in silver on the site... those were the ones i was looking at Wink.gif they look sweet!

thanks for the info BTW!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Wow, you can legally build a house without a permit in parts of Texas? I guess that would explain why there would be no building inspector. How does the county figure out you improved the property so they can up your property tax bill? Very different than here in the Peoples Republic of California!

Nevertheless, I'll bet your county has directly or indirectly adopted an electrical code and you are subject to it. Many municipalities and counties adopt some year's version of the National Electrical Code (NEC), usually with a few modifications. And in some states, electrical codes are adopted at the state level.

The potential issue here is that under the NEC speaker wire in the wall, or permanently installed elsewhere in the house for that matter, is no different than any other low voltage wiring. It is considered class 3 low voltage wiring and requires the use of appropriately rated (CL3, CL3R, etc.) cables. I don't think I have ever seen speaker cables with clear insulation like yours that are rated. All the rated speaker cable I have used or seen has a jacket. And all rated cable is marked with the rating on the jacket. Rated cable is designed to minimize the spread of fire. All the clear stuff I have seen is not and burns very nicely. If it is not a code issue in your county, it is still a safety issue.

Also FWIW I would have used twisted pair in that application to minimize pickup of noise. But that is a moot point unless you wind up replacing the wire.

well, we bought the cable from home depot, the more expensive speaker wire, not the cheap stuff they also sell. it is in conduit in the walls, just not where it comes out.

we bought a house for $162,000 out in this area, and fixed it up, it is sellable at $250,000+ and we never had anyone besides the workers come over to see the job, and we were working with a flooded house that had a mold remediation to be done to it. maybe commercial houses like the one we live in, those custom designed houses, have an inspecter, but we did'nt...

maybe becuase there are no unions out here, or because there is no zoning?

why would i worry though about my speaker wire? did i do something that is dangerous?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Boa, it applies to crawlspace, walls, attic, etc. Some areas, like plenums, have stricter requirements than others.

Justin, the whole purpose of an electrical code is safety, so by definition if something is not to code, it is not safe. Now, how unsafe is it? Well, IMHO its certainly not nearly as bad as violating code with your 110V service. If you have concerns, I suggest you talk it over with your electrician if you haven't already.

but for my speaker setup, how would that be dangerous? i don't understand how using 12 guage high quality speaker wire, and putting each line in its own conduit tubing would cause a dangerous situation.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Sounds like Nevada, get outside the cities, into nowhere, and you can do what you damn well please. Even if it's illegal, the sherrif is part of the 50 people/500 sq. mi. so they stick together. I love this state!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

hey ken, check your mail, hint hint

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Wow - this post has developed a pace since I was last on. Apologies for not getting on sooner - been kinda busy with the new baby an' all.

I am trying to get hold of my videophile friend to get his input on projectors. He has a CRT projector which are generally rated as the best for picture quality but a real pain in the butt to live with (setup takes about 24 hours, then needs repeating 2 weeks later and then every 6 months or so). Also you have to have a seriously darkened room to be able to use it. They have very low ansi-lumens ratings in comparison to normal projectors (LCD and the like) but are the only way to get true colour matching and to avoid digital artifacting.

As some point I will try to get over to his house to get some pics of his setup. His is in his living room - no room for a dedicated theatre, but, I would imagine is about as good as you can get outside of a dedicated room.

From memory his projector is Italian and cost something in the order of $7500 - right at the bottom end of the CRT projector pricing. The downside is slightly lower resolution than the more expensive units (in other words a smaller maximum picture size) and a much more difficult setup process as the controls are less refined.

If you go down this route you may also want to look at the outputs from your components. There are add on cards for DVD players that replace the standard outputs with SVGA quality outs and/or 5 channel RGB (additional channels for synch and luminance as I remember).

Basically my adivce would be to go and find your local videophile and let them advise you. We should (if luck holds) be able to compare recommendations and ideally get some form or consensus.

Be warned though - videophiles are as analy retentive as the worst audiophiles.

What budget do you have left, now, for the projector?

i would agree w/the recommendation for twisted,jacketed speaker wire for interference rejection, but as a safety issue, i don't beleive you have a problem:worse case scenario-your wires get shorted somehow, your amp's protection circuit kicks in and no problem w/burning wires.romex otoh,if shorted could be a real problem. many states/municipalities don't have licencing requirements to install low-voltage wire. i think it will work fine.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Whoa!

I am not getting this. I installed 12 guage speaker wire, it is high quality, thick insulation and conduit around it. Each line is in its own conduit, was trying to prevent EMI and it will be really easy (in theory) to replace the wires if I absolutely have to, though this was $240 in the speaker wires, got it at Home Depot, I think it is AR wire, not the basic wire they sell by the spool, came in a package, sealed and whatnot.

How would it catch on fire?! It is only hooked up to an amp that will probably only have 100watts max going through it 90% of the time, and that will be only on friday nights and weekends. So, what happens here, in laymens terms.

the room can basically be like a cave. the window will be gone, and the doorways closed, so light will not be a problem at all. we would like to hook up an HDTV receiver to it, but which ones, if any, can do HDTV 1080i. the money we have for this... i don't really know. i think aounrd $12,000-$15,000, but I don't REALLY know. I am still waiting for the quote from the designer.

Thanks all... hope the home theater of my dreams is not going to catch on fire!cwm23.gifBiggrin.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

I don't think the issue is power from the amplifier. It is inherently current limited. Protection circuitry should kick in, or transistors should fry, before even a dead short would cause the speaker wire to catch fire. But then, I once read a report from someone who had telephone wiring catch on fire.

I think the issue is that the type of insulation on the clear speaker cables will support and feed a fire cause by something else, wherease the rated cables are designed to minimize this. Kind of like using nonflammable materials, or at least materials designed to minimize the spread of fire, for insulation and roofing.

One thing to consider... If do you have a fire, and the insurance company thinks something you did that violated code had something to do with it, you may have trouble collecting.

I assume your metal conduit is properly bonded to the electrical system ground?

Boa,

From what I hear, building inspectors only find out about most problems when a neighbor reports them. So, unless you have a neighbor who knows what you have done, thinks it is a problem, and is POed at you, you should have nothing to worry about

About the only other way they would find out is if you were to get a permit for something else that required an inspection.

it is not metal conduit, that would be a problem with all kinds of issues, it is PVC type conduit, grey electrical PVC basically.

you are talking about plenum rated cables? all the ehternet and whatnot is plenum rated. if there is a fire in this house, again, i don't think they would blame it on the speaker wire Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support