AUDIOPHILE EMERGENCY! my $42,000 home theater...

justin_tx_16

ok, i just took some pics of the $42,000 home theater i am building. for all the info go to my site

http://www.lotsui.net/soundwise/id95.htm

it is still uploading the pics, but should be done pretty soon.

basically need help choosing speakers. right now we are getting a bid on a Mirage 7.1, but i like Klipsch sound... and would like to have some options. tell me what you think, i will have the specs for the whole system hopefully tomorrow, the proposed system that is.

i just don't want anything pushed on me, so maybe you can help here. so far we have a like 12 speaker option setup using 12 guage wire. so if we wanted to have a 12.1 haha... we could. but we are going for a 7.1.

when you see the pics, you will understand that we are going from the ground up, we have NOTHING as goes hardware, just the place to put it, and a pretty decent budget.

please give me all your thoughts about doing this, what to get etc, and i can take some compliments to heheh, Smile.gif

thanks so much, the address again is...

http://www.lotsui.net/soundwise/id95.htm

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please... can anyone help?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin

I am building my new home w/ home theater. My plan is to have it usable as a two channel listening room as well as 7.1 home theater. My friends say it will be imposible - but I bielive it is possible. Will let you know in 3-4 months when it is reality.

I also love the Klipsch sound. I am using all Heritage speakers in my project except for the subs. Khorn fronts. homebuilt center w/ k-77,k-400 to match khorn midrange. Forte I's on the sides and Heresy's in the rear. Pair of SVS ultra for subwoofers.

Have you looked at the numbers on your room on the spreadsheet I sent you? How are the peaks and nulls?

Room looks GREAT....I think your fiber optic stars on the ceiling is a cool idea.

Lots of cables!!! Hope the labels dont fall off. You would be tracing for weeks.....

Good luck on the project.

JM

Justin, looks cool.

I wouldn't go with Mirage. Klipsch should be much better. Mabey you could pick up some JBL pro audio! That room needs something like that!

M&K THX. They look nice...

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

This message has been edited by matthew2 on 03-27-2002 at 11:36 PM

NOW we're talking...

no more promedias! cwm1.gif

I also think that for this kind of room, you should go with the horn loaded stuff, preferrably Klipsch of course. Nothing better to recreate the theater experience at home. Go with Ref 7 all around, I heard that setup (2x RSW-15, RF-7, RC-7, RS-7), and let me tell you I almost wet my pants due to joy. We have a THX-certified theater close by, same kind of sound. I could've sworn I was at an upscale theater. IMO, nobody beats Klipsch for that feeling. Except of course some pro audio stuff like JBL!

I also like M&K's philosophy of "same speakers all around"... With Klipsch, I would personally go with RF-7s, RC-7, then RF-3s for the surrounds and surround back. For the bass, SVS of course, no question here!

Who is building this? A specialized comapny, or you and your dad type of deal? It looks professional quality.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 03-27-2002 at 11:59 PM

what about a sub... like an SVS.

What would my total be for a R series setup, and with an appropriate sub.

also, looking for a receiver and amp or together...

thanks BTW Smile.gif

this would be also a music room, for dances and parties and what not Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

This starts to get serious Smile.gif

Now as for speakers...one pair of RF-7's,one RC-7 center and two pairs of RB-5's for sourrounds.

Subwoofer wise I would get two-three SVS SS subs or four SVS Ultra subs in this room.Two Samson 1000 power amps(hey these are inexpensive).

One ATI 1505(or 2505) and one ATI 1502 power amp.

Sunfire Theater Grand II pre/pro

Pioneer DVAX10 SACD/AUDIO DVD/DVD player

You should be set for a good while Smile.gif

This would be sweet(I know it is Smile.gif )

I just changed my Klipsch Reference setup(my second pair of RF-7's arrived! HE HE)now I am cooking.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

how much would that cost? i have $42,000 to spend on the projecter, lights, speakers, amp, screen, etc. not just for the sound part.

see ears! not just a promedia boy Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

oh yeah, asked my dad what this was...

2c3e0800.jpg

not holding any cables... duh it is metal RFI anyone?

it is actually connected to the air system to cool the rack! so no over heated amps for us Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

What a great room for a home theater!!!

Deserves the best, which, IMHO is the Heritage series speakers - Khorns (you have the corners!}will give you the best for music and HT as will Belles and/or LaScalas. If these are too big use Heresys for center/surrounds/rears.

The speaker components in the Heritage series were home adaptation of theater designs. What better for a HT than speakers that were designed for theater/concert applications. Finding them may be a chore but worth it. Of course the new ones are due in April.

Choice of subs for LFEs is another matter - the more musical ones are not as dramatic on LFEs - a combination has worked best for me.

For electronics the new Outlaw pre-pro looks like a real winner. Their new seven channel amp looks real good but all that power isn't needed for klipsch speakers but then it's high quality at a low price. Or, if you have the $$$, the Klipsch / Aragon electronics are very high quality.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

DAMNNNNNNNNNNN $42,000 for a home theatre... I would sh*t myself

if I could have that good job justin.. Were putting

in a home theatre setup in our living room in my new

home but then again i have to pay rent and my dads gotta

get a second job to afford our new house. Its 300K

I cant wait to move in and setup the home theatre.

It wont be anything crazy though probaly Klipsch

reference..Good Luck.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

Justin,

Oh my...nice project you got going there.

Bass = for less than 4500 cu.ft you probably won't need more than 2 SVS ultras. I would consult with TomV at SVS for more help there. Be sure to get a parametric eq like a BFD to take the room down low. Those are cheap - around $140.

Speakers = forget trying to replicate a theater's problems, and try and use the same speakers all around. At least up front, use 3 identical speakers. You may do well with LaScalas for nice live theater sound.

Good luck! I'm not a profession, and neither is my opinion.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

well, the center channel will probably have to be behind the screen... any problem there?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

so, if i got a 7 speaker RF-7 setup... and just one SVS for now, would that sound theater like?

thanks!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

TOO NICE: YOU CAN'T HAVE!!!

You are VERY SMART by running those aux. cables (phone, communication) NOW before you finish the room. I have heard horror stories about people trying to run a 100-foot leangh of phone line through their house and spending 10 hours on it. WHEN you need to run other wires (8.1, 9.1, 10.1, 4327590.1, etc.) the exsisting wires can act as a fish tape to pull new stuff to or near to the location needed.

Have you considered the remote control systems? Like the Lexicon LCD remote? If da' gear is going to be in the back room, you will need to have good access to it.

As much as I like Klipsch, got what YOU and your family wants. I think some JBL sear could be what you wanted. One warning (although you know this), make sure whatever speakers you get are built like TANKS. That is a huge room and I could imagine, at the volumes needed, you could cook many a dome tweeters. I like Klipsch because I don't worry about cooking horns. Pro gear is industructable compared to home stuff.

I am amazed at the amount of work that is being done in that room. WELL DONE. The car is only as good as the chassis, same with a REAL HT. I think, even if you replace the equiptment, your room will outlive the house. I am very impressed, I wonder if that will be the best HT of anyone in this forum?

WHAT SEATING WILL YOU GET? WHAT COLOR/S WILL THE ROOM BE, TREATMENTS?

Very, very, nice...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!