Dad is bitten by the HT bug...likes my Quartet / Academy setup...need advice.

alkemyst

First he is upgrading his whole setup...some Onkyo all in one mini system, 27" TV, old DVD player. He's set on a 55" LED LCD (Vizio 552) and more or less on the Pioneer 1020 or better (he has a changer that requires a Pioneer control out). I was trying to sway him to an Onkyo SR608. For BluRay he may end up with a PS3, still seems the best bang for buck out there.

He likes my Quartet/Academy setup. He only wants to do 3 channel surround for now (I have SS-25's in the rear). He likes the look of the more boxy and oiled oak cabinets.

What's the best bang for buck right now? I was thinking the KG series...he is looking to try and stay $500-750 for them. He was looking at the Polk Monitor 70's and RTi10's which new would run that same price with the center speaker.

We are located in the Palm Beach County Area of S. Florida if there is anyone looking to unload a setup that would work.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I know anything he goes with is going to be a major improvement.

Å

I say Dad is lucky to be in Florida.... There seem to be many more good deals than in other areas......

Keep an eye on Craigslist......

I have KG 5.2s and they will be awesome for mains. (KG 5.5s also). They kick butt in my system.....

However I believe the Quartets are 3 way, and if Dad dabbles in music (2 channel), that might be the way to go..... ( I would)....

I have NO DOUBT you can find Heresies; Forte/ Forte IIs, Chorus/ Chorus IIs for $500 and under.

That would free up the rest for a center channel...

On the flip side, KG 2.2s/ 2.5s are an awesome speaker and probably can be had for $100- $150 per pair. I have owned several pairs, and having 3 identical speakers for HT is IDEAL.( 3 KG 2.2/ 2.5s would be very nice; the tweeter is mounted in the center and two 6.5" woofers; one on each side; ideal for laying flat as a center or upright on stands)..... And musically they hold their own.... definitely no slouch....

Also, do not discount ebay, might find a seller in your area and would avoid the shipping charge and risk.

Good Luck....