new CD player vs. new DAC?

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I am just a noob! Im using a PS3 with analog cables as a CD player right now. I am not entirely satisfied with the sound quality. My question to you aficionados is; which would be likely to be more beneficial to my system a) a new stand alone CD player [considering Cambridge 640 C V2] or B) a new DAC [considering Cambridge DACMagic] to run my PS3 through c) any other suggestions? Im hoping not to spend more than $500 and I am open to used goods. The rest of my system is: -82 Cornwalls (just got them!) -Marantz 1530 receiver -Pioneer SX 780 receiver. I am still trialling both receivers to see which I prefer.

Thanks to all for your help!

Welcome to the Forum......

I am no expert, but I would guess the PS3 vs. a new cd player will make little difference. (It can play Blu Ray after all).

Assuming the PS3 sends a clean signal to your amp/receiver, I cannot see replacing this improving your sound quality much.

(I could be WRONG; [:D] Others will chime in)......

My .02

Good Luck.

Use your PS3 as a digital transport and hook that DacMagic up with a digital rca cable and you should notice an immediate difference in sound quality. The DAC's(twin Wolfson WM8740's) in the Cambridge are far superior to either the PS3, your Marantz or your Pioneer. JMO.

Bill

Thank you all so much! Your suggestions have been very helpful. Just one more question......I never thought of this but I have a Yamaha RX V520 HT receiver laying around that has some problem with the L channel. It is producing lots of static so I cant use it to power my speakers. Anyways I wonder if I can connect the PS3 to the Yamaha via optical cable to 'CD-R MD in' then use the 'CD-R MD" rca outs to connect to my Marantz 'aux in' thereby using the Yamaha as the DAC. Would this be okay to try? Can I cause any damage?