Recommendation please on a bestbuy deal

pcho78

That's a pretty sweet deal right there...

wow... thanks folks.

I am highly considering this... seems like many folks are recommending RF 82... I guess there is a good reason for that...

The RSW-10D subwoofers that the Klipsch RF-82 package suggested costs is $1299 MSRP... For substitue I found RW-12D for around $600.

How would RW-12D compare to the eD subwoofers?

I've never hooked up a surround sound speakers before, so this noob is going to need lots of help... =) sounds like fun!!

now i did not listen to both subs.

but based on what's out there, i don't think any klipsch subs can beat it for the price.

the eD A2-300 should be at least comparable to the RW-12D, if not better, for almost half the price.

if budget allows, i would not hesitate to bring home an eD sub.

perhaps someone else with first hand experience can speak up.

Can't help you on the subs, but count me in on the "recommends the RF-82's" group. LOVE mine. Very good "bang for your buck" speaker. Don't be affraid to go the used route on your stuff. There is a very active, used Klipsch market, if you are patient you can find some really solid deals.

I got my 82's used (as well as my RC-64 and RT-10d) for an absolute song... WELL below the msrp, and they are basically mint.

Deals-a-plenty if you scour the used areas (audiogon, craigslist, the "Garage Sale" section of this forum), and have cash in hand.

Good luck!

Jrod

I was using a second set of rf-82s in good condition for surrounds and decided i did not like them (as surrounds). Ended up selling them for $550 to the first person who was interested. Look for a set used and if you cant find one many authorized dealers can still knock $100 or so off of the msrp (i am not sure how low they will go). Get the rc-64 if you can with them.

With many awesome suggestions from folks, I am thinking as follows:

From oncall.com

RF-82 439x2

RC-62 399

RS-52 311x2

Onkyo TX-SR707 494

From Emotiva.com

Emotiva Ultra 12 359

TL about 2750...

That should complete the 5.1 system... I am hoping I don't need to upgrade after that, at least for a long time...

Does that sound like a plan? any other suggestions? Plan is to commit to this tomorrow... at least sleep on it...

I will absolutely get the pictures up pre- and post...

looks good. Here are some suggestions. Order the tx-sr707 from amazon right now for $427 shipped. You could probably get the rs-42s for around $400 ( i have seen them lower) shipped if you called around. The difference between the rs-42 and 52 is not huge. Also i would get the rc-64, try giving J&R a call see if they will go down to the $650 area (definantly wont be lower)

If you're willing to consider used or discontinued products, you can get a pretty incredible setup for your budget.

I have about $2000 in speakers in my system so far - two RF-7 mains, RC-7 center, and RS-62 surrounds. The RF-7s were new, but discounted on clearance having been discontinued. The RC-7 was was a B-stock I found on eBay, but looks and functions perfect.

I pieced the system together a bit at a time as I found bargains. I'll eventually add some rear speakers and a sub when I find what I want at a good price. I'm holding out for some RB-75 for the rear, but so far the only ones I've found have come along when I didn't have the money to spare. Eventually. :)

You can find some good deals on here. I've had great luck buying from forum members in the past, and I feel safer doing business online here than most places.

Edit to add: The system you have listed sounds like a great combination, but I also think the RC-64 would be a great upgrade.

So few modifications...

I am going to make some calls and purchases today...

As mentioned previously, the room is about 11 x 16 feet, so probably RS42 should be sufficent over RS52... Plus good idea to upgrade the center.

Does it make a huge difference getting a different brand subwoofer? Isn't it a rule of thumb to keep it in the same brand as some experts say?

RF 82 Fronts 439 2 878 onecall
RC 64 Center 722 1 722 Sound Seller Amazon
RS 42 Surrounds 207 2 414 Metroplex Amazon
Emotiva Ultra 12 Sub 359 1 359 Emotiva.com
Onkyo TX SR707 Receiver 429 1 427 Amazon

Total price is about 2800 ish...

Plus the television...

That rule is really a good one for the center; mains and surrounds; not just brand but series. (Reference, Heritage, Legend; etc.)

The sub can be any brand; as long as the specs and type/size are correct for what you are looking for, it should blend in with your system pretty eqasily after you dial it in..... My .02.

A Klipsch KSW10 (~$200) is decent, I just sold mine used to make room for the Emotiva U12.(Significant upgrade; my opinion)

KSW 12(~$275) is better, but not particularly great with music. I have read this again and again, and I can asy based on my KSW10, I believe it.

A Klipsch RW10 is almost $600 I think; but a much better sub than the other (KSW) subs. Of course, finding these used (all of your speakers) will save you at least 50%.

BTW.... I will have my Emotiva tomorrow, and can provide my initial impressions; if you like.

Yeah the emotiva 12 should do the job. Sub does not need to be the same brand as speakers. Some people like huge bass and want a bigger sub. You probably cant do much better than the emotiva 12 for the price though. Also be careful about getting the speakers from amazon marketplace sellers. For two reasons, the one you had listed from sound seller is a cherry finish, you are going with black arent you? The other is you can get a factory 5 year (i think its 5) warranty from an authorized dealer. Try calling vanns, onecall and J & R really they should be able to do $700 or under for the rc-64. You are going to love this system, i still have fun listening to music on my rf-82s on stereo and then the home theater jams too! Post some pics of the setup if you can after you get it all setup

I finally ordered it... yikes... quite excited.

I was uncertain about the other distributors within Amazon listing, so I bargained with the more reputable onecall.com to match the price range.

So I ended up buying all the speakers (minus the emotiva) from onecall.com. Only draw back was that the center speaker was in the dark cherry. they were out of the black ones.. but then again, my entertainment structure is dark cherry, so I think it will blend in alright...

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMSDRCHO/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCK7C-4CVsryMhAE#5495326249696199746

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMSDRCHO/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCK7C-4CVsryMhAE#5495326259043894914

that will be the back of the entertainment room... I can have window lights and complete darkness..

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMSDRCHO/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCK7C-4CVsryMhAE#5495326262027084114

that would be where the entertainment center. Not sure where i am going to position the front speakers, sub, center and rest of the hardware?

any suggestions?

First of all....

I am jealous..... :)

Second, start with the fronts on each side of your tv; maybe 7-8 feet wide apart......(maybe even more; if possible), probably angled in slightly towards your seating position.

You will have to play with sub positioning.....

Not sure about how you will mount your surrounds, but preferably to each side of listening position.

If your receiver comes with a mic; use it for calibrating distance and levels......

Others can add more as well as searching here and the web.... And you will have to keep experimenting......

thanks to everyone in this forum for the excellent advices.. otherwise, I would be obvliously happy with a Quintet set from bestbuy, not know what is out there...

I will put more posts/pix as soon as I get the shipments.

thanks..

lol if you could hear the quintet next to your system you would drop your jaw. The rc-64 is going to give you a home theater experience you have only dreamed about. We have more ideas for you when you want to open up your wallet. You got the emotiva sub you you know they sell amplifiers too[:D]

thanks to everyone in this forum for the excellent advices.. otherwise, I would be obvliously happy with a Quintet set from bestbuy, not know what is out there...

I will put more posts/pix as soon as I get the shipments.

thanks..

You are welcome. The guys on this forum are very passionate about what they love.

Blu is right..... You will be blown away.....

I am jealous..... [H]

Cannot wait to see pics and hear your reaction; experience, etc......