Robert Plant and The Band of Joy

Money is tight....... it is getting hard to justify going to a concert when you have an electric bill hit $400.00{which mine did last month}......That being said I took my son to see Robert Plant last night in Little Rock at the 2nd show of his current tour and it was one of the best shows I have seen in years.

Two tickets with all the charges and fees were around $175, but they were very good{10 rows back about 12 seats off center} and I was lucky to have bought them as a birthday gift to myself in June, my son just reaped the benefit of a free show because my wife had to work.

At 61 Robert Plant still has very strong vocals and by keeping the range down just a little his vocals were as good as any I can recall, he also surrounded himself with a very tight group that not only could play but also carry out 3 and 4 part harmony which even boosted Plants singing to a very high level. The set list was excellent and included new songs, some of Plants solo work from the past and also four Led Zep tunes which may rotate at different shows. Last night they did....Rock n Roll...Houses of the Holy...Gallows Pole.... and Over the Hills and Far Away[which was super}

I appreciate that a lot of fans want a Zep reunion.....but it seems like Plants use of different styles of music and the harmonies which this version of The Band of Joy puts out there is so enjoyable you have to appreciate the end result. You would find it hard to imagine but some of the remakes of Zep tunes with pedal steel guitar sound so good that I like them as much as the originals......and I am 55....so I remember when Zep I and II were originally released, Also as a side note my son knew that Mr. J Page was the Guitar player for Led Zep when he was three...I was always proud of that fact, plus it was always funny when he would ask people if they knew who Page was and then give them the answer in his next breath.......

Money is tight.....so I shy away from saying YOU MUST SEE THE BAND OF JOY.....that being said if you like Robert Plant and tight vocals, and have some cash rat holed back which is not for your mortgage or light bill ....YOU MUST SEE THE BAND OF JOY..........steve

It always make you feel much better when, not only the show is good, but you also have the opportunity to enjoy it with your children; in this case your son. I've seen 90% more concerts, in the last 10 years, with my family, than I did when I was younger and I enjoy it more now. We had the opportunity to see Keith Emerson and Greg Lake when they came to Dallas a month or two back. The venue as small and perfect for their show. Glad you had a great time at your outing.

Thanks for the great review Steve. Glad that you can enjoy your music with your young son.

I find it interesting that Plant would use the name of his FIRST band as the name for his new ensemble. Seen Robert Plant several times, did three shows of the Page/Plant tour. Stood in the 4th row once, singing every lyric right back at him (quite badly but with much vigor), and he gave me a nod a couple times during the show.

Michael

Michael......it seems to be a circle of life in the world of rock and roll.....a reincarnation of a band started with Bonham., maybe a tribute to an old friend? Who knows... and my young son just turned 22... so goes time, We have seen quite a lot in the past ten years , from Creed to Qzzfest in 2003....along with Metallica to Tool.......also the mess of being soaked by gore at GWAR.....as the Dead so aptly put it "what a long strange trip it's been".........in the end I have memories now, my son can carry them on later..............steve

• Moderators

Seen Robert Plant several times, did three shows of the Page/Plant tour. Stood in the 4th row once, singing every lyric right back at him (quite badly but with much vigor), and he gave me a nod a couple times during the show.

It also could have been because he thought both of you went to the same hair stylist ? [H]

I saw Plant years ago and it is still one of the best concerts I've been to. The sound was great too, which always makes a big difference for me. I think the only concert that I've seen since that was as good was The Who, before the demise of Entwistle.

Greg

I have heard that he is putting on a great show with this tour. Robinson is a great place for a show. Hopefully, I can catch him this go
around. I saw Plant/Page back in 1995 and it was a killer show.

Thanks for the review. By the way....Glad to see there
is another Bryant guy on the forum, even though I moved awy many years
ago, I still tell people I am from Bryant.

About two or three years ago I took my mom to see Robert Plant when he came to Santa Barbara, Ca.. I grew up listening to Led Zepplin because my mom was IN LOVE with Robert Plant.. :-) There is a certain level of genius to ALOT of there songs. During the show he was Awesome and MUCH better than I had anticapted. That was one of the funniest weekends that we had spent together..