How to turn my 3 channel to 2 channel?

Dr. Jim Mixon

I feel like an idiot, but I've heard there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers, so here goes. In my HT when I want to listen to just music (CD player and it has only analog outs), it plays the center channel. I like the RC 64 fine for movies (I've got it "souped-up" enough that it keeps up with my K-horns OK), but for music I like just 2 channel stereo on the K-horns. If I put the CD in the Bluray, it plays the 2 channel stereo which I want. Yeah, I know you're asking, "what's the damn problem?" but my analog CD player holds 5 discs and so I don't have to do change any dics for a good while. What do I do to cut out the center when I play the analog CD? I've played with the 5004 Marantz I've got a few timess and haven't figured it out yet?????????????

You are using a multi-channel setting such as Dolbt Pro Logic II for your CD input on your receiver. There should be an easy way to switch to stereo for that input. Find a button labelled "mode" or "surround mode" or something similar.

Hey Doc, which inputs are you using for your CD player?

If your using the CD inputs, then switch the receiver to CD and hit the stereo button. It should play out of the left and right speakers, correct?!?!

I'm going by how my Pioneer Elite receiver works. Most work the same, I think.

Dennine

My Harman Kardon works similarly. Must go to 'stereo mode' to remove the center and surround channels.

Good to see you RIv!

I just received an email from Jim, he's got it working now. [Y]

Sure was easier when a Stereo was a STEREO!!! LOL [;)]

Dennie

Good to see you too Dennie. Your temperament is just like your avatar pic. Big Smile

Glad he can listen in two channel. That option is a must.

[:D] That's 'cause you are not the idiot on the freeway, talking on his cell phone trying to work his way through the traffic and is only getting in MY WAY!!!! [;)] LOL

Jim has Khorns, as you say, Stereo is a MUST!!!! [:P]

Dennie

Not just stereo, he needs to be in "Direct" or "Pure" or whatever the heck marantz calls it (its Direct on my pioneer elite). Sounds like you have a nice system Dr. Jim

You are so right. It will bypass the "processing". Also, he should know the difference between the Analog and Digital settings. I find a lot of my CD's, XRCD's or SACD and DVD-A sound so much better using the Analog setting over the digital setting. Some media benefits from the processing, but not all.

I did recommend to Jim (in an email) that he occasionally read through the manual again. We don't often need or understand all the features of our Home Theater Receiver when we first get it, but as we grow with our "hobby" we can benefit from more of the features.

Great point,

Dennie

Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah, I do need to read the Marantz manual; I haven't used 1/10 of the features I paid for I'm sure. AND I ain't gonna use 'em tomorrow nite either 'cause Netflix sent me " The Book of Eli" finally. And I'm gonna crank it up in 5.1 and kick back. JB's post ain't gonna ruin this baby for me! I love this forum guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah, I do need to read the Marantz manual; I haven't used 1/10 of the features I paid for I'm sure. AND I ain't gonna use 'em tomorrow nite either 'cause Netflix sent me " The Book of Eli" finally. And I'm gonna crank it up in 5.1 and kick back. JB's post ain't gonna ruin this baby for me! I love this forum guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Y]

Dennie

I did exactly as you guys said..................eliminated the center and surround channels, found and "pushed" the "Pure/Direct" button, put in the Sugarland CD that I like so much, and..............................holy mackerel, Andy! You close your eyes, and you'd swear Nettles was sittin' on the couch with her guitar. THANKS GUYS!!!

Preview:

Marantz SR 5004

Klipshorn x 2 walnut for fronts

Klipsch RC-64 cherry center

Klipsch KG-1's x 2 for surrounds

Klipsch RW 12 D black ash subwoofer

Samsung 1600 Blu-Ray

Samsung DVD-VR 325 recorder

Dish 222 Dual Sat. Receiver

Onyko DX-C200 5 disc CD player

Sharp 42 HDTV