Speaker Mounting for Baby Proofing

Hi All,

Despite the fact that I don't own Klipsch (YET)I am sure that I can get some great suggestions from the gang. I've been playing around with speaker placement in my 12*24*6.5 ft listening room and find I that for these monitor boxes a position well into the center of the room helps sound stage (I'll second MH on that one) and minimizes HF resonance. Well the new daddy part of my life is close to mobile herself (although all she'd do with a Mulard tube is stick it in her mouth) so I need to baby proof these puppies. Right now they're perched on speaker stands that would fall over in a mediocre California shaker. I am seriously considering hanging them from the ceiling. Comments on this and other methods are gratefully welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mike

If you have a pair of monitor size speakers, you could go with something like the Target R Series , Atlantis

Reference 24XL, or Sound Organization at 18-24 depending on speakers. You then would fill with lead shot half-way, the rest sand. These spiked stands would be liked "fixed" pieces of furniture as imovable as a granite sculpture, the speaker high enough out of harms way...until the little swine grabbed speaker wire like the fiends they can be and tested the five-way binding posts with all their might! Indeed.

It is hard to totally child proof your house but the tikes can be trained.

If it came to hanging from the ceiling with chain or line, I would opt for doggie door/ child barrier from listening room. Either that or get floor standing speakers (many which can also be shot/sand filled).

My ProAc Mini Towers were the kings of imaging when brought out from the wall; I have never heard any better and when the cavities were a little over half filled with lead shot and sand, were like BOLTED to the floor. Be careful, too much of this in a floor standing speaker will deaden the sound.

I have seen a few hang from ceiling if closer to rear wall but the aethetics and pain made other options of child proofing more feasible.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

LOL. You forgot just hanging the toddler from the ceiling. In this day and age, I should probably mention I'M KIDDING!

Thanks for the scoop, MH. I've seen weighted stands mentioned, but it sure helps to get a lead on good one's. I will probably end up running the wiring up to the ceiling. It will look a bit goofy, but the peace of mind will be worth it. The room is a sort of family/entertainment room, so banishment is not an option either.

Wall mounts are really not an option given listening position and room acoustics, so I'm going to go search the WEB and see how much scratch I need to come up with.

Thanks to all,

Mike

I bought a big plastic fence that I put around my Equipment to keep the rug rats away.

One more toddler design flaw. Why do computer makers put the reset and power buttons next to the flashing hard drive LED's..... All my kids are drawn like magnets to those things...ARGH....

JM

GET A RADIO FENCE:

You can get one at Petco or Petsmart for under $150. They work wonders...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Thanks for all the suggestions. A whole bottle of Benedryl just made me want to listen to music more and I was able to scratch off the radio collar in no time. But during my research I found the classic speaker stand for those of you with classic Klipsch

check now

I found a pair I really liked at a local place, but I was afraid our attorney general would come over and drape it with cloth.

Mike

Nice stands! They belong in a 90-year old, billionaires mansion in Louisville or Cleveland!

WHAT, NO RADIO FENCE! You are LAME!!!Smile.gif Just tell your kid that daddy won't love him/her if he/she hurts the stereo. Works everytime!

Enjoy

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

quote:

Originally posted by New Daddy/Old Daddy:

I found a pair I really liked at a local place, but I was afraid our attorney general would come over and drape it with cloth.

Mike

Well, you don't want to be further distracted from the music, do you?

fini